Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 AM

44 posts, read 90,716 times

Advertisements

hi all, I am looking for a good licensed plumber to convert oil to gas heating in garden city. Can you recommend someone that you have chosen that was great and got the work done properly? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 01:26 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,432,613 times
Yes, my MIL in-law used universal in Massapequa. More expensive than some other quotes she got but she was very comfortable with sales rep and the job that was done. They removed her old oil tank, new chimney liner, new boiler and HW heater etc... cost about $9,000. She said it was well worth it. 0% financing for 1 year too. She also got $800 rebate back. She had gotten a quote from Varsity but was a little iffy about using them.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:39 PM

429 posts, read 853,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkcandy View Post
hi all, I am looking for a good licensed plumber to convert oil to gas heating in garden city. Can you recommend someone that you have chosen that was great and got the work done properly? Thanks in advance!
We just had the job done recently and were very happy with Sal Manzo Plumbing (516 783 0490). They were extremely professional and easy to deal with.

Our total was right around $6500, excluding the cost to run the gas line to the house (National Grid), and the chimney liner and oil tank removal, which are contracted out separately. That total included the labor, the furnace, the water heater and removal/clean-up of the old equipment.

Old 12-06-2013, 10:34 AM

88 posts, read 150,649 times
We completed the conversion this past summer. Prior to converting, we did our due diligence, got 6 quotes from recommended plumbers, and then made our decision. While Universal's salesperson was nice, their quote far exceeded all of the other quotes. We ended up going with Heller Plumbing and paid ~$7700 (that was before receiving $700+ back in a rebate card). That price included a new gas water heater, a new stainless steel chimney liner, removal of old equipment and oil tank, and a gas line for our barbeque. Our Universal quote was over a 1,000 more and was just a conversion which reused our old indirect hot water tank. We ended up getting more, for considerably less, and Heller's crew was terrific. Good luck.

Last edited by bkind77; 12-06-2013 at 11:03 AM..

Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkind77 View Post
We completed the conversion this past summer. Prior to converting, we did our due diligence, got 6 quotes from recommended plumbers, and then made our decision. While Universal's salesperson was nice, their quote far exceeded all of the other quotes. We ended up going with Heller Plumbing and paid ~$7700 (that was before receiving $700+ back in a rebate card). That price included a new gas water heater, a new stainless steel chimney liner, removal of old equipment and oil tank, and a gas line for our barbeque. Our Universal quote was over a 1,000 more and was just a conversion which reused our old indirect hot water tank. We ended up getting more, for considerably less, and Heller's crew was terrific. Good luck.
I don't recommend Universal either. They were high priced and the salesman was too pushy. I didn't care for his overly aggressive approach on how reliable they were and how it would be a huge mistake if I went with someone else. He lost me after 10 minutes of entering my house.

Did you replace your old boiler/furnace with a new one in that quote?

Old 12-06-2013, 12:33 PM

88 posts, read 150,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I don't recommend Universal either. They were high priced and the salesman was too pushy. I didn't care for his overly aggressive approach on how reliable they were and how it would be a huge mistake if I went with someone else. He lost me after 10 minutes of entering my house.

Did you replace your old boiler/furnace with a new one in that quote?
Yes, we did replace the boiler as well. It was a great price for the amount of work that was completed. And that price also included installing two "future" t's on the manifold for future heating zones. As I said, Universal was close to 9k and that was just a conversion to a new boiler and removal of tank and old equipment.

And my wife felt the same way as you. She couldn't get the Universal salesperson out of the house quick enough. To put it nicely, she was not a fan of his "pushiness".
Now that I think back to it, I too agree

Old 12-06-2013, 12:54 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkind77 View Post
Yes, we did replace the boiler as well. It was a great price for the amount of work that was completed. And that price also included installing two "future" t's on the manifold for future heating zones. As I said, Universal was close to 9k and that was just a conversion to a new boiler and removal of tank and old equipment.

And my wife felt the same way as you. She couldn't get the Universal salesperson out of the house quick enough. To put it nicely, she was not a fan of his "pushiness".
Now that I think back to it, I too agree
LOL, that's so funny. The Universal salesman kept going on and on and I was getting frustrated that he wouldn't leave unless I let them do the conversion. I was so relieved when he left.

But going back to your conversion, $7,000 for a complete conversion is a great deal. I got mine done for around $4,300. But I kept my boiler, ran new lines to the appliances, BBQ line outside, and reused my existing liner. Essentially you got a better deal than I did. I got 6 estimates but I wish I got more.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
We used Cornetta Bros. They are excellent and very reasonable. They are in Elmont and do a TON of work in Garden City and their license is actually on file with the building dept so you don't have to jump through hoops if you use them.

Old 12-06-2013, 03:14 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I would NEVER let a company remove my oil tank. NEVER. It is not required and if you discover a leak, you'll be shelling out tens of thousands to correct it. It can be abandoned in place and that is what should be done.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:17 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,412 times
I think the OP is talking about a basement tank, If it's in the ground I agree. Leave it there and legaly abandon it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island