Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 05:18 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Upstate overall is tanking but that did not stop Novelis from investing $200 million in an aluminum rolled sheet plant to supply to the new F150. You also have some modest success in Chobani, agribusiness and semiconductor firms locating there. Shouldn't LI get its slice of the pie, albeit a small pie?
agreed. It's good to see the yogurt industry picking up, but nothing will replace all the manufacturing/textile jobs that left the upstate cities. I often wonder if upstate gets more attention because its cities are losing people (Buffalo was built for 600,000 and has less than half that now, and now all of Erie county is losing as well). Long Island has fifteen percent of the state's population and should get at least that piece of the pie, especially since we support NYC so much already.
As mentioned earlier by other posters, Albany still views LI as prosperous with a vital economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 06:12 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,358 times
PreK is a term generally reserved for the 4 yr olds who would be going to Kindergarten the next year.

UPK is a state-funded program that NYS school districts could start if they had the space. My district has had it for a very long time now. The state pays a certain amount per child for a set number of children. We used the funds only for 4 year olds and someone in the community had donated money for a 3 year old program. Our district used it for low-income people who didn't qualify for HeadStart. Other districts used it with a lottery system where anyone in the district could put their name in the pot, hoping to be chosen.

Now, if diBlasio wants to run a UPK program in the city, why would people on LI be expected to pay for it via some tax as Dinkins suggested? That makes no sense since UPK is a state-funded program (and I don't even know if the state is still offering funds for any schools that haven't already started programs). So if it's just plain old preschool that diBlasio wants for city residents, it still makes no sense to ask LI'ers to pay for something that they can't use as non-residents!

The MTA commuter tax was dropped for LI'ers I believe. At least I recall that school districts don't have to pay for it anymore. It was totally ridiculous to ask schools and/or businesses out here to pay for a service that they don't use. If this is what Dinkins is talking about, he's an idiot. Let the city residents pay for preschool if they want to institute it. It is a very worthwhile educational move for 4 year olds, but LI should not be paying for it!

Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
I often wonder if upstate gets more attention because its cities are losing people (Buffalo was built for 600,000 and has less than half that now, and now all of Erie county is losing as well). Long Island has fifteen percent of the state's population and should get at least that piece of the pie, especially since we support NYC so much already.
As mentioned earlier by other posters, Albany still views LI as prosperous with a vital economy.
I suspect that prioritizing upstate has more to do with Cuomo's presidential ambitions. The battleground areas will be the blue collar midwestern states like Ohio, Indiana and maybe even MI and WI and where in NYS are there demographics more similar to the battleground states than upstate? To them blue collar workers landing factory or building jobs rings a bell more than suburbanites glowing over their good schools and mass transit. And the Democratic cadre probably (mis)believe that LI and the NYC suburbs will vote their party for president regardless.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,375 times
Quote:
I suspect that prioritizing upstate has more to do with Cuomo's presidential ambitions. The battleground areas will be the blue collar midwestern states like Ohio, Indiana and maybe even MI and WI and where in NYS are there demographics more similar to the battleground states than upstate? To them blue collar workers landing factory or building jobs rings a bell more than suburbanites glowing over their good schools and mass transit. And the Democratic cadre probably (mis)believe that LI and the NYC suburbs will vote their party for president regardless.
I would hope that he concentrates on just being Governor and finally coming up with a decision on fracking but sadly you are probably correct

Old 12-23-2013, 08:04 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Strategic posturing sounds about right as does the Cuomo & Co. hubris assuming NYC and LI will vote for him.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:06 AM

With all due respect, you write about being on the job in the late 80's but only allude to policies then. From what I can recall, you had mentioned retiring in 2008 at the age of 38. Were you born in 1970, and if so, wouldn't the earliest you could have hit the streets (assuming you took the test at 18 and your list was called in 1988) have been 1990 following pre-hire evaluations and subsequent academy?

Giuliani was AG during the late 80's and was actively pursuing drug dealers and monsters as the crack epidemic neared its peak in 1990.
PC Brown assumed his position in 1990; and yes, he was ineffective.
Bratton was hungry and putting on the full court press.
Giuliani was in office at the rollout of Compstat, which the following document questions the validity of with respect to reducing the crime rate. Langan rel

From a personal suburbanite standpoint, I felt safer traveling about NYC in the early to mid 80's than in the early 90's. Was it because I was younger then and didn't have a family? Perhaps. Last trip back into Manhattan this year I noticed more homeless, as well as street vendors, and aggressive militant types congregating on corners. A year earlier we walked from Penn to The African Burial Ground and Museum and saw almost none of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Ok since I was probably the only that is debating this topic that was actually working for the NYPD at this time, here's how I saw it:

Dinkins started the Safe Streets, Safe Cities program but just trowing bodies at a problem doesn't necessarily solve the problem. With Dinkins in charge, our hands were tied and in the late 80's and early 90's we were know as the blue flower pots, we weren't as proactive as we could have been. Policies and red tape cause a lot of the problems as well as moral. P.C. was Brown aka out of town Brown and should have never ever been the P.C. of N.Y.C. Dinkins knew that crime was a major concern and in fairness he tried by signing that bill but with Brown and no real support......

Yes, crack was a big reason for the major crime spikes and homicides but again with the policies in place it was hard for us to do 'the job' I remember the PCT slogan was give us 22 minutes we'll give you a homicide!

Here's the real reason why crime was reduced dramatically after 92... In 1990 and until 92 Bratton was running the Transit Police before the merge and was really making a name for himself. He truly believed that if you stop the most simplest of petty crimes it will have a effect on bigger problems and I felt he was right.
His next move would end up changing Policing forever, his hook up with Jack Maple, which introduced the now famous Compstat.

Add the fact that technology was advancing and with Compstat in place, this cause Pct. commanders to be more accountable plus they can tract patterns in real time.

Giuliani became Mayor in 1993 and won the support of the PBA, remember him at our rally He boosted moral and let us loose to do 'real' police work without the fear of losing the job. Some policies were changed and some overlooked but there was a real sense of pride with him. Now he was armed with Bratton,Maple,Compstat the support of the entire department, technology, etc. The rest is history..........

Old 12-23-2013, 09:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
With all due respect, you write about being on the job in the late 80's but only allude to policies then. From what I can recall, you had mentioned retiring in 2008 at the age of 38. Were you born in 1970, and if so, wouldn't the earliest you could have hit the streets (assuming you took the test at 18 and your list was called in 1988) have been 1990 following pre-hire evaluations and subsequent academy?

Giuliani was AG during the late 80's and was actively pursuing drug dealers and monsters as the crack epidemic neared its peak in 1990.
PC Brown assumed his position in 1990; and yes, he was ineffective.
Bratton was hungry and putting on the full court press.
Giuliani was in office at the rollout of Compstat, which the following document questions the validity of with respect to reducing the crime rate. Langan rel

From a personal suburbanite standpoint, I felt safer traveling about NYC in the early to mid 80's than in the early 90's. Was it because I was younger then and didn't have a family? Perhaps. Last trip back into Manhattan this year I noticed more homeless, as well as street vendors, and aggressive militant types congregating on corners. A year earlier we walked from Penn to The African Burial Ground and Museum and saw almost none of that.
Yes I'm a 69er.... I got on in 90 and when I say 'our' I mean the NYPD.... same policies were in place in the late 80's as in the very early 90's.....why you have to nit pick every little thing I write is beyond me and how you remember what I typed from many years ago kind of scares me.....another reason I don't believe everyone shouldn't have the right to bear arms( I previous posted who shouldn't qualify and I forgot to mention stalkers ) so when you go back to my post remember that

Old 12-26-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Yes I'm a 69er.... I got on in 90 and when I say 'our' I mean the NYPD.... same policies were in place in the late 80's as in the very early 90's.....why you have to nit pick every little thing I write is beyond me and how you remember what I typed from many years ago kind of scares me.....another reason I don't believe everyone shouldn't have the right to bear arms( I previous posted who shouldn't qualify and I forgot to mention stalkers ) so when you go back to my post remember that
While it is your allegation that I am stalking, please remember that you've mentioned retiring early enough times that some of us might recall it. Please don't be defensive. I come from a cop family, have a slew of cop friends, cop ex-boyfriends, etc., so cop things tend to stick in my craw. You've also posted numerous times about your new, larger VA home, your marriage, children, etc. We're regulars who could trip over one another IRL unaware of who the other person is online.

You might have experienced some fall out from previous policy, but you weren't there when policy was instituted; therefore you wouldn't have firsthand knowledge of what was actually happening at the time policy was initiated. Pointing that out is not nitpicking. Mentioning that it was Giuliani and not Dinkins who instituted CompStat, is correcting the timeline. And FWIW, I also provided a study which indicated that CompStat might not have been as successful a program as it was credited as being.

Nonetheless, your assertion that a quasi-militaristic group right to bear arms should supersede that of the general law-abiding public is not what our founding fathers intended when the Constitution was written. If anything, out right to bear arms is needed should the citizens need to rise up against a government which has run askew.

David Dinkins suggesting that DeBlasio tax suburbanites to fund NYC pre-K is wrong. There are plenty of wealthy Manhattanites, and residents in the outer boroughs who enjoy lower property taxes than we on LI, and in the other adjoining non-NYC counties do. Raise their property taxes a little each year to pay for what he wants.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:32 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There are plenty of wealthy Manhattanites, and residents in the outer boroughs who enjoy lower property taxes than we on LI, and in the other adjoining non-NYC counties do. Raise their property taxes a little each year to pay for what he wants.
Maybe it has dawned on de Blasio that there are not enough wealthy NYCers to tax and that their middle class is unwilling to pay the difference just to fund PK for the poor.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:36 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,256 times
Quote:
Maybe it has dawned on de Blasio that there are not enough wealthy NYCers to tax and that their middle class is unwilling to pay the difference just to fund PK for the poor.
Also, many wealthy NYC residents are not full time residents so only some of their income is taxable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island