Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 03:00 PM

88 posts, read 150,649 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any experience with electric radiant heat? My wife and I are currently doing over our back family room (12x18') which sits on a slab. We will be tiling the room, so our concern is a real cold floor even with baseboard heat back there. I was reading online about electric radiant heat systems as a way to supplement existing heating systems. We currently have a monoflow hot water system (gas/baseboards). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:12 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
It works ok as a supplement. Takes longer to get to temp as opposed to a liquid based radiant. It's cheap and easy to install. You must check ohms on the wiring as you install, the slightest nick while installing and it's junk. The manufacturer will give you a base ohm # to test against as you work. I've installed quite a bit of this stuff and it's pretty good overall. I say fo for it.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
It works ok as a supplement. Takes longer to get to temp as opposed to a liquid based radiant. It's cheap and easy to install. You must check ohms on the wiring as you install, the slightest nick while installing and it's junk. The manufacturer will give you a base ohm # to test against as you work. I've installed quite a bit of this stuff and it's pretty good overall. I say fo for it.
Thanks for the feedback. Do you cover the entire floor space with the mats? If so, it looks like just the mats will cost over 2k for a 12x18' room. This SunTouch system at HD goes for $325 for a 12'x30" mat, so I would need 7 mats, taking me close to 2500k just in mats...a bit more than I anticipated. Here is that unit:

SunTouch Floor Warming 12 ft. x 30 in. 120V Radiant Floor Warming Mat-12001230R at The Home Depot

Old 12-21-2013, 04:47 PM

You don't necessarily have to cover all of the floor with the mats. Depends on the layout of the room. Shop online for the materials! There are many size options for the square footage required and definitely much better deals to be found online.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks again. The guy who is doing the work in the backroom will be looking into running a hot water radiant tubing system with PEX and will let me know if that is more cost effective than electric. Our monoflow loop is accessible from this room, so maybe this would be the better option. Do you know if a room of this size should be on a dedicated zone?

Old 12-21-2013, 09:12 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,430 times
We did our kitchen with electric radiant heat. The kitchen was extended and half of the kitchen is over an unheated crawl space. The kitchen is roughly 12 X 18. I purchased the materials from 'Warmly Yours". I think the materials (using the contractors pricing) was about $1,400. The electric mats do not get installed under the cabinets. There is no baseboard heat or radiators in the room, there is a 6' sliding glass door and three windows. The radiant heat keeps the room comfortable. It was the best solution to a room that was always cold.

I keep the thermostat at a constant 70 degrees because it takes so long to heat up the concrete mass and for it to cool down as well. There is no noise (like steam heat) and it takes up no floor space either. It is a pleasure walking into the room barefoot in the winter, when in the past it was unbearable.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
We did our kitchen with electric radiant heat. The kitchen was extended and half of the kitchen is over an unheated crawl space. The kitchen is roughly 12 X 18. I purchased the materials from 'Warmly Yours". I think the materials (using the contractors pricing) was about $1,400. The electric mats do not get installed under the cabinets. There is no baseboard heat or radiators in the room, there is a 6' sliding glass door and three windows. The radiant heat keeps the room comfortable. It was the best solution to a room that was always cold.

I keep the thermostat at a constant 70 degrees because it takes so long to heat up the concrete mass and for it to cool down as well. There is no noise (like steam heat) and it takes up no floor space either. It is a pleasure walking into the room barefoot in the winter, when in the past it was unbearable.
Good to know, thanks.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 PM

It may be beneficial to add it as an additional zone. There are variables as to whether it would make sense or not so best bet is to discuss this with your plumber.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:59 PM
sci

90 posts, read 224,187 times
Default Radiant heat

I think the best solution is to set up a true radiant heat loop off your existing boiler. Have done electric radiant in bathrooms and they seem to work well but would have reservations about using it for the size room you describe. Electric costs here are insane to say the least and the care needed to install them correctly I think should limit there uses to small area as supplemental heat.
Hydronic radiant heat is a great source of primary heat for a room. This how ever is not a simple or small job as there are alot of variables that need to be considered. A seperate zone must be used as radiant heat uses warm water not hot water that baseboard or radiators use.
I have installed radiant heat in more than half of my house now [under tile, wood flooring and concrete basement floor] and can say without a doubt it is fantastic and well worth the investment.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkind77 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with electric radiant heat? My wife and I are currently doing over our back family room (12x18') which sits on a slab. We will be tiling the room, so our concern is a real cold floor even with baseboard heat back there. I was reading online about electric radiant heat systems as a way to supplement existing heating systems. We currently have a monoflow hot water system (gas/baseboards). Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Why can't you go all gas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island