Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
at least we won't be seeing these types of threads before a hurricane anymore...

as for the snow, I can't wait. Being frigid without snow is pointless. 4 seasons - bring it. The only negative may be that schools are quite possibly closed on Friday and we JUST got through 12 days straight with the rugrats.
Our district is on break until Monday...no snow days or early dismissals here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 PM

3,524 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Cuomo is talking about closing the LIE and parkways BEFORE the snowstorm.

Cuomo: LIE, parkways may be closed before blizzard hits LI

Cuomo is a moron

Old 01-01-2014, 11:00 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Cuomo is a moron
I don't think its that bad of an idea considering what happened last Feb. Closing it before the storm hits might be a bit much, but whiteout conditions (which is what is expected to happen with the winds) can make things dangerous very fast.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
Hmmm. Ok so I am the only one with l/2 a cup of milk in the fridge? I figured they said it is only going to last a day. It will be over by noon on Friday. I am going to go buy a gallon of milk though because I love it, and I need it storm or no storm.

My son is ecstatic for snow. He saw a "little" snow the day before we left for vacation, but he hasn't actually played in it yet. We got back this past week from vacation, and I ordered him a pair of boots. A couple of people said not to buy snow "stuff" because you never know if we will even get any. The boots are supposed to be here tomorrow with prime shipping. Actually, they were suppose to be here yesterday. I hope they get here ..and they fit.

I am wondering how accurate they are on predicting snow. Well, I guess I will know tomorrow night.
I hope you and your son have a great time on Friday! It should be fun for both of you. The boots will not be wasted. He can wear them in a cold rain during the winter too and remember, it's only the start of winter. I ran out today to get salt because I was pretty low, but you'll be fine about getting groceries either later on Friday or on Sat.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:18 AM

3,524 posts, read 5,705,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I don't think its that bad of an idea considering what happened last Feb. Closing it before the storm hits might be a bit much, but whiteout conditions (which is what is expected to happen with the winds) can make things dangerous very fast.
Cuomo - "take mass transit" ON LI ??? Unless you are going east/west and can walk to the LIRR, everyone needs their car.

Lets shut the roads, yeah that helps...

Old 01-02-2014, 05:24 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
Hmmm. Ok so I am the only one with l/2 a cup of milk in the fridge? I figured they said it is only going to last a day. It will be over by noon on Friday. I am going to go buy a gallon of milk though because I love it, and I need it storm or no storm.

My son is ecstatic for snow. He saw a "little" snow the day before we left for vacation, but he hasn't actually played in it yet. We got back this past week from vacation, and I ordered him a pair of boots. A couple of people said not to buy snow "stuff" because you never know if we will even get any. The boots are supposed to be here tomorrow with prime shipping. Actually, they were suppose to be here yesterday. I hope they get here ..and they fit.

I am wondering how accurate they are on predicting snow. Well, I guess I will know tomorrow night.
I often wonder why people haven't caught on to keeping a half gallon in the freezer. Not that complicated, people. Same with bread. Once it defrosts it's good as new.

Your problem won't necessarily be getting out - it will be that as of today the stores will be cleared out and no trucks will be coming through especially if they close the highways. Shelves will be bare when you're ready to go out.

As far as predicting now, if they are saying blizzard, you can pretty much count on it.

As far as getting other groceries, it seems we are moving backward instead of progressing when it comes to dealing with snow storms. Everything is cause for PANIC!!!!! I do remember not being able to get out after that storm in Janaury '96 - even my work was closed for 2 days.

Old 01-02-2014, 06:59 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
Lets shut the roads, yeah that helps...
did you already forget about all the idiots who got stuck on the LIE last year and had to abandon their cars....which then made it impossible to plow?

Old 01-02-2014, 07:18 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,058,271 times
For all the taxes we pay the roads should be maintained so people dont get stuck. This isnt a 3 foot storm like February. It won't even reach a foot in most places. We've been through this 100's of times without road closures. I think the powers that be are panicking when they should be focused on doing their job.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:37 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times

Bread & Milk - YouTube

Old 01-02-2014, 07:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
For all the taxes we pay the roads should be maintained so people dont get stuck. This isnt a 3 foot storm like February. It won't even reach a foot in most places. We've been through this 100's of times without road closures. I think the powers that be are panicking when they should be focused on doing their job.

I think it's the hyperbolic attacks on them being incompetent that basically forces them to overreact to CYA. I blame the public for most of our ills. Uniformed, overly emotional, and panic driven. Politicians are are merely the symptom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island