Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times

Advertisements

Looking at houses in Great neck. How is the area in the immediate vicinity of KingsPoint park? Prices seem slightly lower than the rest of great neck. I know there was a recent brush fire in the park, but any other issues? Do bums squat in the park? Area seemed ok when I drove around.

I lived in great neck 20 years ago when I was a high school kid, but i lived in Thomaston so i don't know anything about northern great neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
I run around that area a few times. I never seen bums in that park.

Not sure which area of north GN you are looking at. Some areas...like south of that park have smaller houses. Just a personal opinion....some large homes in that area are pretty gaudy.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:54 AM

Sirtiger... It is the area south of the park with smaller houses. Specifically, those dead end streets that abut the park along Steamboat road. I'm not a rich bastard so I'm looking at those modest houses, not the giant mansions.

I'm guessing maybe the asians who want their kids to go Great Neck South are driving up the prices of houses in the South school district, so real estate in North is relatively cheaper.

I just want to makes sure there are no bums, toxic waste or something undesireable around Kings Point park.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:23 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
I am no expert about GN but I can only comment about what I observe since I do a lot of neighborhood running.

Hope I am not offending anyone but North GN has a higher concentration of Persian jewish & Hasidic Jewish people. Just do some driving around on middle neck road on a Saturday. This can attract or detract certain buyers. I am unclear if this increase or decrease home values compared to South GN. There is no doubt a massive influx of Asian buyers of South GN and New Hyde Park in the past 10 yrs.

I personally dislike the long drive up Middle neck road which seems like a forever drive....to be fair....same reason I dislike driving up deep into PW.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM

I'm completely aware of the Persian/Hasidic influx of GN North, which doesn't bother me.

In fact, I'm hoping thats the main reason why GN North is slightly cheaper.
I got outbid on a house in Great Neck South by cash paying chinese, so I hope they find Great Neck North less desireable.

Although I'm asian myself, I dont really want to live with other asians, and Great Neck South is flooded with asians. My kid may have to deal with rich Persians when he hits school age, but thats life. When I went to high school in Great Neck South 20 years ago, I was one of the few asians amongst the majority of Jewish people. I think it was actually advantageous because in the real world of business/law/medicine, most of your colleagues are likely to be of the Choosen Ones. Growing up in a chinese enclave does not prepare you to compete in the real world.

I avoid middle neck road by taking Great Neck Road/West Shore Rd.
Traffic in the whole North Shore area sucks in general, especially Northern Blvd in rush hr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island