U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2012, 09:28 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,390 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi We are moving to NY this summer and thinking to rent in Long Island, I am narrowing it down to Great Neck and Williston Park. My hubby works in Mid. Manhattan and we have two kids: 8 and 4. Good school district and ease of commute to NYC are our concerns. Do you have suggestion on where to settle down? We are moving from California and know nothing about NY. Many thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
 
796 posts, read 1,565,606 times
Reputation: 420
Do you mean East Williston instead of Williston Park?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:42 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,390 times
Reputation: 10
Thank you for you reply. Yes I meant east williston. I searched rental properties online, but couldn't find anything in E. Williston. There are a few properties in Williston Park though. Are E. Williston and Willison Park very different? Do you know any website for LI rental? Thank you very Mich!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 10:44 PM
 
9,341 posts, read 27,529,866 times
Reputation: 4529
movetony777, are you aware the "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" ZIP Code postal zone includes all or parts of 9 villages and 4 hamlets: the Village of Great Neck Estates, the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Plaza, the Hamlet of Harbor Hills, the Village of Kensington, the Village of Great Neck, the Village of Kings Point, the Village of Lake Success, the Village of Russell Gardens, the Village of Saddle Rock, the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates, the Village of Thomaston and the Hamlet of University Gardens?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,608 posts, read 21,054,135 times
Reputation: 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetony777 View Post
Hi We are moving to NY this summer and thinking to rent in Long Island, I am narrowing it down to Great Neck and Williston Park. My hubby works in Mid. Manhattan and we have two kids: 8 and 4. Good school district and ease of commute to NYC are our concerns. Do you have suggestion on where to settle down? We are moving from California and know nothing about NY. Many thanks!

You can go on www.MLSLI.com and look for rentals. However, as Walter pointed out, you cannot necessarily go by ZIP code; as someone who is not familiar with the area(s) at all, you might need some guidance regarding locations. The Port Washington/Manhasset area might also work for you.

What size rental are you looking for and what is your budget? That might influence where you can find appropriate rentals. BTW, on Long Island, rental housing stock consists mostly of single family homes which are rented either in their entirety or parts thereof as apartments. We do have the occasional duplexes and then some apartment complexes, but availability is limited.

Also, it might be important for you to know that on Long Island, most rentals are listed with real estate companies and the agents' commission is paid by the tenant, unlike in most of the rest of the country, where the landlord pays it. Translation: Tenant pays 1st month's rent, 1 month security (occasionally the landlord wants 2 months), plus one month commission = 3 x the monthly rent up front

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:09 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,390 times
Reputation: 10
Greenspin---- thank you for your information. I didn't know that there are so many villages in GN. I have never been to LI and I am at the west coas now. All the information I got is from Google. Can you please share more information? Many thanks....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,390 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
You can go on www.MLSLI.com and look for rentals. However, as Walter pointed out, you cannot necessarily go by ZIP code; as someone who is not familiar with the area(s) at all, you might need some guidance regarding locations. The Port Washington/Manhasset area might also work for you.

What size rental are you looking for and what is your budget? That might influence where you can find appropriate rentals. BTW, on Long Island, rental housing stock consists mostly of single family homes which are rented either in their entirety or parts thereof as apartments. We do have the occasional duplexes and then some apartment complexes, but availability is limited.

Also, it might be important for you to know that on Long Island, most rentals are listed with real estate companies and the agents' commission is paid by the tenant, unlike in most of the rest of the country, where the landlord pays it. Translation: Tenant pays 1st month's rent, 1 month security (occasionally the landlord wants 2 months), plus one month commission = 3 x the monthly rent up front

Hope this helps. Good luck with your search!
Elke,

Thank you so much for your information. Our budget is upto $3000/month. The rental market in LI is so different with California.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Long Island
9,608 posts, read 21,054,135 times
Reputation: 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetony777 View Post
Elke,

Thank you so much for your information. Our budget is upto $3000/month. The rental market in LI is so different with California.
You're welcome! Yes, the rental market on Long Island is different from pretty much the rest of the country.
Are you looking for 3 bedrooms? Would 1 bathroom suffice or do you "need" 2, or at least 1 1/2?
Oh, BTW, if you end up renting a house, the cost of utilities are generally not included in the rental price - figured I'd mention that to make sure you budget accordingly.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-25-2012, 11:59 PM
 
5 posts, read 11,390 times
Reputation: 10
It is OK the rents don't include the utility & 1 bath is OK with us. I heard that there are two types of heating: steam and oil? How much will the heating cost over the winter? Do the rental property usually come with a parking space? How to check the school information for a specific address? Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
 
Location: Long Island
9,608 posts, read 21,054,135 times
Reputation: 5334
Quote:
Originally Posted by movetony777 View Post
It is OK the rents don't include the utility & 1 bath is OK with us. I heard that there are two types of heating: steam and oil? How much will the heating cost over the winter? Do the rental property usually come with a parking space? How to check the school information for a specific address? Thanks again.

Heat will mostly be oil or gas, with an occasional rental with electric heat ; it can be either hot air, hot water, or steam.
If you rent a house, there is usually off-street parking or if you're lucky, you might even have a garage
Heating costs can vary greatly, depending on a) the sqft of the rental b) how well insulated it is, c) how warm you like it and d) how cold the winter is.

School district information should be included in the listing. More detailed information can be provided by the real estate agent.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:43 AM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top