Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2017, 07:49 AM

24 posts, read 28,195 times

Advertisements

Okay I have just two questions about having a expired id , I live in Long Island and I'm wondering do you need to have a birth certificate to get a id from the Long Island DMV? And my second question is I have health insurance up to date and I need to go to the doctor can they refuse me to see the doctor because of my expire id? I would really appreciate if someone could help me with my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 08:24 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
You have no valid, current ID at all?

Here's what you need (assuming NY State ID and not a drivers license)

NY ID Card Eligibility Requirements

You can apply for a New York identification card at any age. If you are under 16 years old you will need consent from your parent or guardian.
To apply for a photo ID card, you must:
Be a citizen or a legal resident of the U.S.
Be a resident of New York State.
Have your original birth certificate.
Have your Social Security card.
Be able to provide enough documents to verify your identity.

So bring your birth certificate and social security card.

A doctor could refuse you but why would they? As long as you have a health insurance card and an expired photo ID I think you'd be OK for the visit.

Old 10-18-2017, 08:52 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,709,899 times
You need 6 points of identity. Birth Cert and SS Card are not enough. See DMV site for exact details

Old 10-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
You need 6 points of identity. Birth Cert and SS Card are not enough. See DMV site for exact details
See that just it, I have everything that I need to gain the 6 points I just don't have my birth certificate. I have even order it from the state I'm original from and I'm still waiting for my birth certificate. They told me they ship my birth certificate off on the Oct 5 and they say I have to wait 7 to 10 business days for it to come and I still haven't seen it come in the mail. I've even called them again and they said they going to send another out when they get ready. I swear it shouldn't be this hard to make a copy of birth certificate and mail it to the address you requested.

Last edited by tyesethompson; 10-18-2017 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-18-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You have no valid, current ID at all?

Here's what you need (assuming NY State ID and not a drivers license)

NY ID Card Eligibility Requirements

You can apply for a New York identification card at any age. If you are under 16 years old you will need consent from your parent or guardian.
To apply for a photo ID card, you must:
Be a citizen or a legal resident of the U.S.
Be a resident of New York State.
Have your original birth certificate.
Have your Social Security card.
Be able to provide enough documents to verify your identity.

So bring your birth certificate and social security card.

A doctor could refuse you but why would they? As long as you have a health insurance card and an expired photo ID I think you'd be OK for the visit.

That good to know. Yes thank god my insurance info is up to date. Thank you for the info for getting a id from NY.

Last edited by tyesethompson; 10-18-2017 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 10-18-2017, 01:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyesethompson View Post
See that just it, I have everything that I need to gain the 6 points I just don't have my birth certificate. I have even order it from the state I'm original from and I'm still waiting for my birth certificate. They told me they ship my birth certificate off on the Oct 5 and they say I have to wait 7 to 10 business days for it to come and I still haven't seen it come in the mail. I've even called them again and they said they going to send another out when they get ready. I swear it shouldn't be this hard to make a copy of birth certificate and mail it to the address you requested.
It takes time. Also keep in mind Columbus Day is a federal holiday and I believe there isn't mail on that day. Today is only the 8th business day. Be patient.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,388,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
A passport may also work.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:34 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,263,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
A passport may also work.
The best single type of ID as it proves citizenship and acts as photo ID.

Old 10-18-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
It takes time. Also keep in mind Columbus Day is a federal holiday and I believe there isn't mail on that day. Today is only the 8th business day. Be patient.
Ok I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: