Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:39 PM

159 posts, read 248,818 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

We saw a house that we really liked yesterday in Suffolk but its got a small (but pretty decent sized) pool house in the backyard which is NOT CO'ed. Its like a mini apartment with a kitchen and bathroom (its awesome). Since, I guess its not legal, Im assuming taxes are not reflecting the existence of this extra structure.

Would this give us issues with the bank if we decided to buy this home? And if it was found out, Im assuming taxes would probably increase, correct? And could the county make you tear it down? Whats the worst that could happen?

Would you buy a home with something like this in the backyard without a CO? And does anyone know what "CO" even means?? I understand it to mean a permit, but what do the letters CO actually stand for?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 12:40 PM

562 posts, read 1,058,749 times
Certificate of Occupancy

Old 02-27-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Certificate of Occupancy
Thank you.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru50 View Post
Hi Everyone,

We saw a house that we really liked yesterday in Suffolk but its got a small (but pretty decent sized) pool house in the backyard which is NOT CO'ed. Its like a mini apartment with a kitchen and bathroom (its awesome). Since, I guess its not legal, Im assuming taxes are not reflecting the existence of this extra structure.

Would this give us issues with the bank if we decided to buy this home? And if it was found out, Im assuming taxes would probably increase, correct?

If it's an FHA loan, guaranteed problem.

If conventional, could depend on the lender...

Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If it's an FHA loan, guaranteed problem.

If conventional, could depend on the lender...
The real estate agent said that she asked and she has 2 mortgage companies that would approve the loan...but just the fact that she had to say that made me nervous!

Old 02-27-2014, 12:53 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
The real estate agent said that she asked and she has 2 mortgage companies that would approve the loan...but just the fact that she had to say that made me nervous!
If the buyer is going through a mortgage banker, they often have in-house underwriting and can be more flexible than the large banks. If you want to DM me the names, I'll gladly confirm (if I know them).

Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,672 times
A lot can depend on the township in suffolk.watch the government TV Chanel it's 38 on Fios and you will see how the zoning board of appeals puts the screws to home owners.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:50 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
No CO doesn't necessarily mean it's illegal. Our garage didn't have a CO put permits were pulled. Not sure if that helps you feel any better!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:53 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,963,476 times
I was able to buy a house with a deck with no CO. I just had to accept the responsibility that it could become my problem upon buying the house if I ever have need to bring the town onto my property (fencing, pool installation, etc.)

Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,051 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Would this give us issues with the bank if we decided to buy this home? And if it was found out, Im assuming taxes would probably increase, correct? And could the county make you tear it down? Whats the worst that could happen?

Would you buy a home with something like this in the backyard without a CO? And does anyone know what "CO" even means?? I understand it to mean a permit, but what do the letters CO actually stand for?

Thanks!!
Some of the towns now do spot checks on things like Google Maps aerial views and will come after you if what you have doesn't match what they think it should be.

Worst case? The pool house could be over a max building line or in someone's easement and you'd be on the hook for pulling it down and removing everything.

How did they get electric to it without a CO? Sounds like a recipe for disaster if they just tapped in to the line without getting inspections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island