Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:24 PM

31 posts, read 67,184 times

Advertisements

Looking at possibly moving into South Merrick. Is there a huge mosquito problem down there? We currently live near the water in Queens and basically once 70 degree comes around we cannot even go outside because of the enormous amount of mosquitos around. My wife will not get bit once but my daughter and I get bit 5-10 times each night unless I do a spot check around the entire house to make sure no stray mosquitos entered.

I cannot live like that again so need to make sure wherever we move to does not have a massive mosquito problem. A friend of ours moved into central plainview right around Old Country Road with no water around to be found and directly surrounded on all sides by close neighboring plots but he has a crazy mosquito problem as well once dusk hits.

Since I see canals around South Merrick, these look like the type of places mosquitos would breed. Any info would be greatly appreciated. It's not warm enough not to really see for ourselves whether there may be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 08:14 AM

376 posts, read 1,016,609 times
I am in north bellmore and last year was bad . I mosquito sprayed my yard/bushes with a spray bottle that hooks up to the garden hose sold at home depot . temporary fix but did work , I think you will have it worst near the water/marshes.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
It's been bad everywhere since a few years back with the asian tiger mosquitoes. We're dead center of the island not near water and they're still around. They find small sources of water to reproduce. There's always something flipped right-side up that will hold rain or sprinkler water. They don't fly very far so I don't think the water that the OP is talking about had any real effect on making it bad for them. It's just bad anyway.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:14 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
The last 4-5 years I am pretty sure there isn't anywhere safe. The Asian tiger has taken over. Hopefully this cold winter slowed them down a bit.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
Merrick's a great community, but your bigger issue is to take a look at the Hurricane Sandy flood maps before you buy. IMHO, no one should buy a home in an area that was inundated with water.

As for mosquitos, I remember a time in the 1990s when the public golf course down there was so inundated with mosquitos that they would reduce the greens fees. You had to slather yourself with bug repellant before heading out to play. I don't know what it's like now.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:34 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
The last 2 years have been terrible, last year was particularly bad. I live near the center of the island in Suffolk, but my backyard is almost uninhabitable at night, and still not great during the day because of the damn Tiger Mosquitoes. It only takes one backed up gutter or one wheelbarrow that someone forgot to dump the water out of, and you have a small swarm.

Salt marsh mosquitoes are even worse at night at least, as they will fly further, and you probably have to deal with them down in Merrick.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
Merrick's a great community, but your bigger issue is to take a look at the Hurricane Sandy flood maps before you buy. IMHO, no one should buy a home in an area that was inundated with water.

As for mosquitos, I remember a time in the 1990s when the public golf course down there was so inundated with mosquitos that they would reduce the greens fees. You had to slather yourself with bug repellant before heading out to play. I don't know what it's like now.
So really it doesn't matter where I am, there is going to be a mosquito issue?

Thanks, of course that was our main concern as well about Hurricane Sandy. The properties we are looking at are solely the ones designated in Zone X so not requiring flood insurance and that did not sustain any damage from Sandy. Optional flood insurance for these areas I am told is very low - $300 a year.

I get the feeling in these areas in South Merrick around these little canals are going to be a prime breeding ground for mosquitos.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
It's been bad everywhere since a few years back with the asian tiger mosquitoes. We're dead center of the island not near water and they're still around. They find small sources of water to reproduce. There's always something flipped right-side up that will hold rain or sprinkler water. They don't fly very far so I don't think the water that the OP is talking about had any real effect on making it bad for them. It's just bad anyway.
rh71 where abouts are you exactly?

Old 03-21-2014, 02:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libtech75 View Post
rh71 where abouts are you exactly?
Plainview

Old 03-21-2014, 07:35 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,864,950 times
Is there any possibility to introduce bats to the neighborhood? -

Attract Bats To Your Property | How To Attract Bats With A Bat House
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: