Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:55 PM

19 posts, read 49,448 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I live in CT, and was driving today on LIE, Nassau . As I don,t know much about HOV lanes ( CT barely has any) . I ended up driving in one of these as I was very late for interview due to traffic. As I realized I am in Hov lane I tried to come out near an exit.

But Was pulled over by the cop and was slapped with 4 tickets,

3 for HOV 1128a, 1128d, 1110a
And one more as date on my insurance card was just expired last month.

I am not sure what to do, I never had anything other than parking ticket, should I appear in court and try to mention my story, will that help?.

Or get a lawyer...

At the end of the day mistake is mistake but The fine can amount to 750$ or so , I am already unemployed and can,t afford to pay this much money. It is unbelievable that that I am asked to pay this much for changing HOV Lane at 40mph.

Do points from this violation get transferred to CT license? .

I am really in bad shape here, any help is appreciated. BTW I did explain above to the cop but didn't help.
This screwed up my mood for the interview big time- but that,s apart from the point here
Thank you,
-Dan

Last edited by Dan3939; 04-11-2014 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: Add more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:31 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
You,re screwed. The points transfer. Id fight it in court but getting a lawyer would cost you. Try to explain your story to the judge and see if they will knock down one or more tickets.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:37 AM

Oh boy , thanks for the suggestion.
I will go to the court, but can I get plea bargain without pleading not guilty? Or I have to do that?
Does anyone have idea how much lawyers charge?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:35 AM

755 posts, read 1,080,616 times
750 for crossing an hov divider? Sounds really high.

About 4 years ago, I was caught on Hov behind a slow driver. I decided to cross hov, pass him then cross back. Forgot the speed, but it was definitely too fast. I think it was about 8pts and a summons to appear at court. Ended up paying the full fine of $550 with 0 pts.

Make sure you go to court. If it's a crowded day, they just want money. I barely had to make a statement.

Old 04-12-2014, 05:50 AM

19 posts, read 35,401 times
were you driving without insurance or did you just not have your latest insurance card with you?

Old 04-12-2014, 05:58 AM

I was just driving without valid/active insurance card, my car insurance is currently active and I need to get updated card from insurance company mailed to me.
Thank you.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:02 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
1128a & 1128d appear to be about unsafe lane changes. It isnt an hov-specific statuate.
1110a is your failure to obey traffic control device -- in this case, jumping the hov lane striping.
Was your insurance current, but you had an old insurance card, or were you driving around uninsured?

I don't know if NY points transfer to CT, but the states do practice reciprocity where scofflaws are concerned.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:06 AM

Thanks loveithateit,
Every violation is about 218$ + may be 100 for insurance ticket. As this happened yesterday charges are not yet uploaded in there system. What was your defense to get points reduced, also did you plead not guilty?.

Old 04-12-2014, 06:17 AM

Hi Ohbeehave,
I entered the hov lane by mistake and existed it near an exit. Everything was perfectly safe as traffic was very slow ( stop and go).
Tickets details
One is for hov
One is for crossing over the lane, I tried getting out at patch with( dashed white line) but traffic did not allow that, so I may have crossed over double white line , as I wanted to exit to take detour, matter of fact I was pulled over at start of exit ramp exit 36.
And third is purely cops brainchild , unsafe lane change

Old 04-12-2014, 06:34 AM

204 posts, read 297,108 times
Plead not guilty. Request a supporting deposition (check box by where you sign). When the cop doesn't send one for each ticket within 30 days (and they usually don't) your tickets can be dismissed. NY Code Section 100.25

There's a little work involved in doing this without a lawyer, but I've had many tickets successfully dismissed with this tactic. There are some details to this other than simply mailing in a not guilty plea, you'll have to make at least two in person trips to the court. Otherwise I know a great lawyer that can help you, PM me if you're interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island