Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:27 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
I'm just discouraged right now because I don't have a lot of money annually.

don't be discouraged. You are young & have a long road ahead. Enjoy the journey. Start with slowly developing good habit of saving, personal finances & controlling your future. Your fiancé is also young....The odds are very high that her opinions & outlook will change quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 04:10 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
And that is the point that I keep trying to make!
I feel like, my parents freakin wiped my butt for a long time, I owe it to them and myself to be here for them. It's also nice not having to travel for holidays - all my family is here.

What really makes a person rich is not how much $$ a person has but how much love. Material things are just things. Big homes and big yards are nothing compared to the unconditional love of family.

My big fat 2 cents i may be a little out there but I get it, Mits. I'm with ya kiddo!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
It is because Long Island attracts people with a strong sense of family values.
It does? Please tell me how many people you know who have moved to Long Island because they were "attracted to" its family values. Not people who grew up there, moved somewhere for college or to the city and then moved back. People who just heard LI has great family values and said "hey I gotta get me some of that". I've never met anyone who up and moved to LI just because they felt like it, let alone for such a ridiculous reason. Long Islanders are bordering on mentally ill when it comes to the need to live in their family members pockets. And when all is said and done and everyone has kids with activities on the weekends and so on and so forth, unless you're living in a compound a la the Kennedys, you aren't seeing each other all that much.

OMG I got sucked into the vortex. Help meeeeee.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My big fat 2 cents i may be a little out there but I get it, Mits. I'm with ya kiddo!
I can't even express what I want to say in response to this post. Anyone?

Old 04-16-2014, 06:12 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
The Vortex is now taking off from the gate.....

Old 04-16-2014, 08:05 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,050,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Well said, but only true if money isn't an issue.

The upside of living in a great place, or the joy of being near people you love, is quickly consumed by the voracious appetite of stress and worry. We moved from about as perfect a place to live as ever there was. We loved our house, our neighbors were like family, the schools were awesome, the town right out of a Norman Rockwell painting and even so, I stressed out over money constantly, to the point where it was affecting my health.

My dedication and devotion to family prevented my wife and I from relocating fifteen years before we did, something I don't regret but which I would never do again. Better I should have moved and then traveled home to visit frequently because ultimately, the family I'm responsible for taking care of would have fared far, far better.
That worked for you, but does not mean it's the lifestyle that everyone desires.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I feel like, my parents freakin wiped my butt for a long time, I owe it to them and myself to be here for them. It's also nice not having to travel for holidays - all my family is here.

What really makes a person rich is not how much $$ a person has but how much love. Material things are just things. Big homes and big yards are nothing compared to the unconditional love of family.

But in your case, since your life is literally working, commuting, and sleeping, what is the point of being near family if you literally never get to see them? Can't you find a job on LI?

Old 04-16-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
It does? Please tell me how many people you know who have moved to Long Island because they were "attracted to" its family values. Not people who grew up there, moved somewhere for college or to the city and then moved back. People who just heard LI has great family values and said "hey I gotta get me some of that". I've never met anyone who up and moved to LI just because they felt like it, let alone for such a ridiculous reason. Long Islanders are bordering on mentally ill when it comes to the need to live in their family members pockets. And when all is said and done and everyone has kids with activities on the weekends and so on and so forth, unless you're living in a compound a la the Kennedys, you aren't seeing each other all that much.

OMG I got sucked into the vortex. Help meeeeee.
My point is that people who value family values are the ones who stay on LI. Obviously nobody who values family values is going to move to LI if that's not where their family lives!

Old 04-17-2014, 05:57 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
But in your case, since your life is literally working, commuting, and sleeping, what is the point of being near family if you literally never get to see them? Can't you find a job on LI?
I dont work on the weekends! Some weekends but not all.

I see my family a lot. I love them and they are getting old.

No the $$ is better in the city. A girl has to eat & pay bills once in a while. I am also the principal earner so we need my income and I cant take a cut.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:22 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
My point is that people who value family values are the ones who stay on LI. Obviously nobody who values family values is going to move to LI if that's not where their family lives!
And those without those values can leave/relocate with a clear conscience...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island