Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:23 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Long Island in general based on high property taxes and high cost of living. That is why so many LI'ers invaded your neck of the woods in PA. What appears high in cost to other areas looks like a great bargain to us.
Someone I was friends with started asking me about what it was like to live here in Lancaster County over five years ago but she apparently has decided to stay in Rocky Point, since five years have pasted and she's no closer to moving here now then she was when she first thought about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 06:58 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
Someone I was friends with started asking me about what it was like to live here in Lancaster County over five years ago but she apparently has decided to stay in Rocky Point, since five years have pasted and she's no closer to moving here now then she was when she first thought about it.
It might be a case of the devil she knows vs devil she doesn't. Does she own or rent in Rocky Point? Have a decent job? Kids in school?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It might be a case of the devil she knows vs devil she doesn't. Does she own or rent in Rocky Point? Have a decent job? Kids in school?
She lives in a house she doesn't like, never wanted to buy it in the first place but her then husband wanted it, she hates her job and doesn't have any kids.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:17 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,588 times
Rocky Point is the third-best town on LI, just behind Wyandanch and Mastic.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
I lived in Rocky Point from 1993-2010. Overall, it's a nice little town: some rougher spots down by Broadway, King Rd, and Prince Rd, but plenty of quiet neighborhoods, too. The taxes are relatively low, the houses... hit or miss, depending on where you look: mixed in with the newer homes is spot-building and tons of tiny bungalows that are barely liveable unless you have $$ to sink into them. Most of the town is still made up of narrow, winding little streets, which are quaint... but a P.I.A. in winter. It's been kind of neat to see the town blossom over the years, but a little sad at the same time. The biggest negative, IMO, is commuting: it's hell because Rocky Point is so far from the LIE, Sunrise, and all of the parkways... while 25A and 347 have essentially become very long parking lots. It's great of you enjoy being able to bike or walk to the stores... but not so great if you actually have to leave RP to go to work, shopping, etc.

As far as the schools go, I went to the high school, but I graduated in 1996, and the district has grown tremendously since then so I can't be of much help there. It's still a rather small district, which is fine as long as your kid doesn't have special needs, which is why we ended up moving when my oldest kid was starting 1st grade. We moved just a few miles south of 25A, so we could send our oldest to Longwood schools for the special ed program, because the options in RP simply aren't there.

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 04-22-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 04-22-2014, 07:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
She lives in a house she doesn't like, never wanted to buy it in the first place but her then husband wanted it, she hates her job and doesn't have any kids.
Scratching my head -- no idea what's making her stay.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Scratching my head -- no idea what's making her stay.
She's been considering it for years but then changed her mind.

Clueless.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Based on what I've heard, people there seem like they want to move out. Is it just Rocky Point or Long Island in general?
Based on cost of living it is Long Island. It has nothing to do with Rocky Point. Rocky Point has a very good school district, more affordable house prices than a lot of other areas, decent local businesses and a ton of local pride. I'm not sure why you are specifically interested in the area but if you are moving from PA to Long Island and are working, you might want to give us an idea what town. Rocky Point is a little to the east but definitely a nice middle class area.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:52 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I lived in Rocky Point from 1993-2010. Overall, it's a nice little town: some rougher spots down by Broadway, King Rd, and Prince Rd, but plenty of quiet neighborhoods, too. The taxes are relatively low, the houses... hit or miss, depending on where you look: mixed in with the newer homes is spot-building and tons of tiny bungalows that are barely liveable unless you have $$ to sink into them. Most of the town is still made up of narrow, winding little streets, which are quaint... but a P.I.A. in winter. It's been kind of neat to see the town blossom over the years, but a little sad at the same time. The biggest negative, IMO, is commuting: it's hell because Rocky Point is so far from the LIE, Sunrise, and all of the parkways... while 25A and 347 have essentially become very long parking lots. It's great of you enjoy being able to bike or walk to the stores... but not so great if you actually have to leave RP to go to work, shopping, etc.

As far as the schools go, I went to the high school, but I graduated in 1996, and the district has grown tremendously since then so I can't be of much help there. It's still a rather small district, which is fine as long as your kid doesn't have special needs, which is why we ended up moving when my oldest kid was starting 1st grade. We moved just a few miles south of 25A, so we could send our oldest to Longwood schools for the special ed program, because the options in RP simply aren't there.
Sorry but you are way off on the special needs programs. On the island Rocky Point has one of the best special needs programs currently and they also work with the next school district (Shoreham-Wading River SD) when there aren't enough children in a certain age group to form a class.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
The housing prices in the new section of RP are very affordable for some very nice homes. Why? You are further out east, away from many areas where you might have work, and the tax assessment is high. Not unusual to be paying 12,000 to 14,000 a year in taxes. They assessed the newer section higher to make up for the lower tax rate on the dumpy old section.

But if you work on the island and have a decent job, RP is not a bad area to consider. Forget it if you commute to NYC for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island