Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 06:49 PM

214 posts, read 459,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdholden View Post
I'm a senior at a highschool in Oklahoma, and we are comparing 6 states responses to 6 different questions for an Environmental Science project. It would be incredibly helpful if i could get some responses from Long Island residents. Thank you all so much

1) if you own a car, how many miles per gallon does it recieve?
2)If any, how many energy efficient appliances do you own?
3)Do you use reusable or plastic bags at the grocery store?
4)Do you recycle?
5)Do you believe that climate change/global warming is a hoax?
6)Do you believe that oil companies use their power to halt the development of alternative energies
1. 50
2,all
3. Yes
4.yes
5. No
6. Yes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 07:20 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Do you use reusable or plastic bags at the grocery store?

I don't think this is a yes/no question... if it's no, what's the alternative?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:48 PM

291 posts, read 336,239 times
If it's no, the the alternative is yes and it is therefore a yes/no question. I believe the question should be phrased as, "what do you use at the grocery store, reusable bags or plastic bags?" For the record, I reuse plastic bags for alternative purposes.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Do you use reusable or plastic bags at the grocery store?

I don't think this is a yes/no question... if it's no, what's the alternative?
Paper?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:29 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradmilano View Post
If it's no, the the alternative is yes and it is therefore a yes/no question. I believe the question should be phrased as, "what do you use at the grocery store, reusable bags or plastic bags?" For the record, I reuse plastic bags for alternative purposes.
I meant if you're answering no, what are you actually using? I think Trader Joe's is the only one who gives paper anymore and it's such a waste since they can't be re-used as garbage bags - we do the same with plastic. My bet is hardly any give paper so the question is really which of those 2 (reusable cloth vs plastic) do you use rather than a yes/no question. Anyway, I'm just trying to start an argument because this is the LI forum.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
I meant if you're answering no, what are you actually using? I think Trader Joe's is the only one who gives paper anymore and it's such a waste since they can't be re-used as garbage bags - we do the same with plastic. My bet is hardly any give paper so the question is really which of those 2 (reusable cloth vs plastic) do you use rather than a yes/no question. Anyway, I'm just trying to start an argument because this is the LI forum.
But paper bags are recyclable, so by definition they are re-used in other ways. They are also bio-degradable, so it can be thrown in to your compost pile. It shouldn't even go to the trash.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:23 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
I'm a senior at a highschool in Oklahoma, and we are comparing 6 states responses to 6 different questions for an Environmental Science project. It would be incredibly helpful if i could get some responses from Long Island residents. Thank you all so much

4)Do you recycle?
6)Do you believe that oil companies use their power to halt the development of alternative energies
1) 13mpg on one car and 18 mpg on the other car
2) 1 I think. the refrigerator is the only one with the Energy Star sticker
3) plastic, or boxes
4) Yes, although only glass/cans and plastic
5) hoax the way its portrayed, I agree with a PP that its a natural cycle
6) yes

Old 04-28-2014, 08:51 AM

413 posts, read 599,020 times
Quote:

4)Do you recycle?

1. 20
2. 6
3. Plastic (but I reuse them as doggie poop bags)
4. Yes
5. No
6. Yes (fact, not belief...they spend considerable lobbying money to squash some and defend other preferential patents and block R&D money). True they also support some alternative energy development and in doing so, intentionally block other R&D at the same time. It's more ordinary capitalism than evil intent, but it's done just the same. Coal companies did it before oil. Energy changes take 100+ years to introduce and take hold. Eventually oil will go bye-bye.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:53 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
I think Trader Joe's is the only one who gives paper anymore and it's such a waste since they can't be re-used as garbage bags -
Not a waste for me - they can be reused. They're perfect for (news)paper recycling!

Old 04-28-2014, 09:21 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
I'm a senior at a high school in Oklahoma, and we are comparing 6 states responses to 6 different questions for an Environmental Science project. It would be incredibly helpful if I could get some responses from Long Island residents. Thank you all so much.
Quote:
1) if you own a car, how many miles per gallon does it receive?
25 and 23mpg
Quote:
Quote:
Plastic
Quote:
4)Do you recycle?
Yes
Quote:
No
Quote:
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: