Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 06:42 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
SAT scores matter but they are not the only thing. Good GPA, extracurriculars & sometimes having a story like overcoming cancer or facing adversity factor into the decision as well
Does race matter too? In other words does a black kid with a two-parent middle class background get bonus points on admissions for being black? How much does it matter?

I have heard that, for white and Asian kids, SAT's/ACT's and AP scores are paramount because they are objective measures whereas there is vast subjectivity in GPAs and extra curriculars from high school to high school across the US. (This is not to say geography, wealth, legacies, cancer-fights, etc when and where applicable in the white/Asian pool do not play a role). Race does not help this pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 06:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Does race matter too? In other words does a black kid with a two-parent middle class background get bonus points on admissions for being black? How much does it matter?
Actutally yes I think minorities do have an advantage but its not the sole determining factor

Old 05-02-2014, 06:51 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Actutally yes I think minorities do have an advantage but its not the sole determining factor
Of course not.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:35 AM

791 posts, read 1,623,291 times
For anyone truly interested in learning more on the topic of how admission decisions are made, I'd highly recommend the book "The Gatekeepers" by Jacques Steinberg - it was a pretty compelling and informative read, if you're interested in this sort of thing.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:43 AM

Quote:
What I am saying is everyone seems to want to put their kid in the top districts yet WF is far from being one of the best districts on the island and yet look how well this kid did.
People want to put their kids in top districts because not every kid is Kwasi - that is, not every kid has major internal motivation, a compelling personal story, music & athletic talent, and strong study skills. For kids like Kwasi, district doesn't matter - these kids are going to be who they're going to be regardless of their surroundings. But for Joe Smith, middle class kid with an average intellect and a standard middle-class-kid life story who just wants to hang out with his friends and text on his phone all day, a district like WF won't produce the same results as, say, Three Village.

A school like WF (or CI, or Brentwood, etc.) is faced with so many crisis-level problems compared with a Three Village that it doesn't have the resources to devote to taking Joe and pulling him up from being a C student to a B student. As far as a place like WF is concerned, if Joe is passing all of his classes and isn't in immediate crisis, he's doing A-OK; in a better district, he'd be pushed (both by teachers/counselors and through social pressure from peers) to do better than Cs. That won't happen in the worst districts on LI.

So yes, if your kid is gifted and self-motivated and academically inclined and able to brush off peer pressure to slack at school, WF will likely be fine. But if your kid is average, you're better off busting your butt to afford a better district.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 AM

111 posts, read 223,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
For anyone truly interested in learning more on the topic of how admission decisions are made, I'd highly recommend the book "The Gatekeepers" by Jacques Steinberg - it was a pretty compelling and informative read, if you're interested in this sort of thing.
Looks like a pretty interesting read. The publication date is 2003, though. I wonder how much things are different now as compared to when it was written? The entire landscape seems to have changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years. I was lucky to have attended a very well-regarded, competitive college and I'm fairly sure that if I applied now, I would not get in.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:57 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,084,087 times
Quote:
People want to put their kids in top districts because not every kid is Kwasi - that is, not every kid has major internal motivation, a compelling personal story, music & athletic talent, and strong study skills. For kids like Kwasi, district doesn't matter - these kids are going to be who they're going to be regardless of their surroundings. But for Joe Smith, middle class kid with an average intellect and a standard middle-class-kid life story who just wants to hang out with his friends and text on his phone all day, a district like WF won't produce the same results as, say, Three Village.

A school like WF (or CI, or Brentwood, etc.) is faced with so many crisis-level problems compared with a Three Village that it doesn't have the resources to devote to taking Joe and pulling him up from being a C student to a B student. As far as a place like WF is concerned, if Joe is passing all of his classes and isn't in immediate crisis, he's doing A-OK; in a better district, he'd be pushed (both by teachers/counselors and through social pressure from peers) to do better than Cs. That won't happen in the worst districts on LI.

So yes, if your kid is gifted and self-motivated and academically inclined and able to brush off peer pressure to slack at school, WF will likely be fine. But if your kid is average, you're better off busting your butt to afford a better district.
Excellent post!

Old 05-02-2014, 08:12 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
I can concur and its true with a few people I know.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic Century View Post
Looks like a pretty interesting read. The publication date is 2003, though. I wonder how much things are different now as compared to when it was written? The entire landscape seems to have changed dramatically in the last 10-15 years. I was lucky to have attended a very well-regarded, competitive college and I'm fairly sure that if I applied now, I would not get in.
I found it to still be pretty informative - it was written about the class of 2004, which was well after the beginning of the college admissions boom, so there's definitely a lot of discussion about how the pressure of increased applications is affecting selective colleges. The missing element, of course, is the effect of the internet, since most colleges were still on a paper application system at that point, but all in all, I think it was a pretty useful and still-relevant read.

Old 05-02-2014, 09:00 AM

111 posts, read 223,216 times
Quote:
I found it to still be pretty informative - it was written about the class of 2004, which was well after the beginning of the college admissions boom, so there's definitely a lot of discussion about how the pressure of increased applications is affecting selective colleges. The missing element, of course, is the effect of the internet, since most colleges were still on a paper application system at that point, but all in all, I think it was a pretty useful and still-relevant read.
Also just interesting to go behind the scenes of an extremely opaque, still-mysterious process! Bet they come out with an updated edition at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: