Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2008, 08:28 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,174,377 times

Advertisements

Fun City Man,
Are you somehow connected to these TV folks from our younger days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:30 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,174,377 times
I met Officer Joe Bolton as a kid, still have the picture in my photo book.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:53 AM

438 posts, read 834,591 times
Reading this thread was great. Born and raised in Amityville in the 60s, 70s, then moved to East Hampton in 1980. Things I remember:

Night blue-crabbing at the Amityville Pier at the end of Ocean Avenue during the summer.
Flounder fishing with my Uncle on Great South Bay in March (brrrr).
My older brother and I getting up at dawn on July 5th, to hunt for unused firecrackers all over town.
Sledding at the Southern State Parkway & Rte 110 interchange. Had the highest hills in Amityville! Also, sledding at Bethpage State Park.
Family vacations in Montauk every summer. My Dad's favorite place to vacation.
Driving to Montauk before there was Sunrise Highway past Patchogue. What a looong trip that was on Old Montauk Hwy!
Friends and I sneaking out at recess from Amityville Jr. High and going to the "Keg" Beer & Soda Distributor to get a 25-cent can of soda!
North Amityville Fire Department picnics and the Memorial Day Parade down Rte 110.
Playing kickball, softball, football, street hockey with all the neighborhood kids.
Having egg wars at Halloween with kids from Massapequa Park, Copaigue, South Farmingdale, and Wyandanch. For some reason they all liked invading Amityville then.
Going to the All Weather Drive-In in Copaigue.
Hanging around with my Grandfather at his Kitchen Shop in Lindenhurst and helping my Uncle with his kitchen restoration jobs all over LI.
My Sister and I hanging around Sunrise Mall on Saturday afternoons. Getting Ice Cream at Farrell's.
My family was excited when White Castle opened near the Sunrise Mall. We also loved Carlos' Pizza Oven in the Inter-County Shopping Center on Carman's Road.
Spending time at the Amityville Library and the park on Oak Street.
Buying Wacky Packages and Red-Hot fireballs at Ralph's Stationary on Rte. 110.
Riding our bikes all over Amityville,and Massapequa Park.
My father taking us boys to get hair-cuts at the old Italian barbershop on Main Street, Farmingdale. Those fellas knew how to cut hair!
Talking with the last remaining farmer in Amityville and buying produce from his stand on Rte. 110 in North Amityville.
Cruising in a skiff around Amityville's canals. And mostly swimming in our pool.

In the next post, I'll talk about my experiences in East Hampton!

Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,190,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
Thanks for this. I have quite a few folks to share this with who can relate. As a little kid in the 60's back in Queens I find out about electricity by sticking the ends of a metal scissors into an outlet, and yes those glass milk bottles delivered by the milkman would shatter when you ran down the hallway and slipped on freshly waxed floors. I also had the habit of wanting to stick things in my mouth to the utter frustration of my mom and I just don't know how I survived. I imagine there has to be quite a few folks out there that could share their childhood survival stories which could make this quite an amusing thread.
I was a little kid in the 70's in bayside queens and i also remember the glass seltzer bottles with the sprayer valve---where have they gone?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenbacismama View Post
Here's a fond memory. I remember going to TSS in the late 70's with my mother, two of her friends and a total of 7 of us children (2 under the age of 1) in a mid-size Chrysler station wagon (not one of those long boats) for school supplies. We sat or laid down anywhere we wanted to, and when we parked and got out of the car it was like a circus car! There was always yelling and screaming. But, boy were those the good ol' days!

What about the store corvettes in queens where you parked on top of the store? Also drive in movies where everyone would squash into the trunk.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I was born in 1984 so it's unfortunate I didn't get to experience all that :-(

It's a shame. I was born in 71 and we weren't afraid of being grabbed by strangers and we were always playing "OUTSIDE". If we weren't good at a sport we practiced and practiced some more. Also the MUSIC was much better until about the late 80's

Old 04-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Building elaborate underground tunnels in the woods and flimsy tree forts on the tops of pine trees.

Weren't those forts wonderful? Some boys even had long tunnels leading to the beach from the cliffs up above. No one said, "Don't do that. Whaddareyanutz?"
Even the girls had cool forts in the trees with little chairs and umbrellas for roofs. Everyone stayed
outside all day. We were like our own tribe.
PLAY DATES ???
What the heck is that?
Playing on each others roofs and jumping down to the grass. Also forts and tunnels in the snow and nailing cars as they passed---not a federal offense,just yelled at by passerbys.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:32 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 29 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,338,190 times
Dear Fun City Man,

Thank YOU, too for your interesting posts!

I am wondering if you have a connection to all those early shows . You seem to have such a wealth of inside information, especially about Herb Sheldon. I don't believe I have heard anyone mention him for over forty years. Do you remember Andy Divine and Froggy the Gremlin?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-21-2008, 03:05 AM

71 posts, read 233,505 times
Default Yes I remember "Andy's Gang"&"Froggey"

Dear Nancy The Reader,

Yes!

I remember"Andy's Gang" and "Froggey The Gremlin".

I looked forward to watching the show and attending every

meeting of the gang on Saturday mornings on WNBC TV Ch.4

in NYC from 1957 to 1960.

I enjoyed the adventure stories of"Gunga Ram" and"Ramma"

and the comedic mischief created by "Froggey" and oftimes by

his brother"Harry"(Who was a real orangatang).

Asside from Poor Mr.Andy Devine(The show's second and

last host/performer..the series first host/performer was Mr.Smlinin

Ed McConnell).."Froggey's"pranks were usually aimed at the teacher

characters played by Mr.Vito Scotti.

I enjoyed watching those shows and I miss that type of

fun kids comedy/variety tv series on Saturday mornings.

Thanks For Remembering"Andy's Gang!",

Fun City Man

Old 04-21-2008, 06:34 AM

71 posts, read 233,505 times
Default Could You please post the photo of you &Officer Joe?

Dear Clark Street Kid,

It's nice to know that you have a photo of you with

"Officer Joe"Bolton.

But?

Is it possible that you could please post the photo onto

"The City Data Forum"website for all of us to see?

Fun City Man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island