Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 07:01 PM

5,076 posts, read 3,976,473 times

Advertisements

Although I lived near it all my life (and used to have a drink at Docks End, Sunshines, and Rose and Thistle BTW) I've never been a fan of the village. Very difficult to walk because 3-4 lane 25A cuts right down the middle...very few decent shops...but it does have some nice restaurants. Some say it looks fairly nice for a Long Island area but I find it ugly unless one is comparing it to Huntington Station. Parking has long been an issue and this won't help.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 05-07-2014 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 07:51 PM

198 posts, read 252,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
In a bustling downtown area, growth is inevitable. What would you suggest?
There are other ways to promote growth rather than sticking parking lots between buildings making it impossible to walk from one store to another. One way is public transportation, another promote biking -- yes dedicated bike lanes ( I do not want to have a flame war on the subject war ) . another way is doing exactly what Huntington has . i.e parking lots on the outskirts and then walkable/bike-able middle with bike share program.

I really think 1$ is not that much if it will keep the abusers away. May be this will promote carpooling. but I actually think that this is probably too cheap to have any effect.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:26 PM

622 posts, read 854,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Empty storefronts? And you don't there is a shortage of parking in Huntington during busy times? We must be shopping in different Huntington Villages lol!! There is absolutely a need to increase parking.
Admittedly, I was there last in January. There were quite a few empty storefronts, but nothing like some of the neighboring towns.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:45 PM

883 posts, read 3,723,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Admittedly, I was there last in January. There were quite a few empty storefronts, but nothing like some of the neighboring towns.
I bet if you went back today, you'd see new businesses opened in those storefronts. A shop or restaurant may close, but a new one pops up shortly thereafter.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:53 AM

570 posts, read 1,216,759 times
They've said that many of the "abusers" were the shop owners and employees themselves! Make them park farther away so customers can use the parking spots in front of the stores. And you can't assume that all store owners/employees show up at 8:30 in the morning when lots are empty.

Must say however, sometimes employees can't find places to park in the large lots either! Depends on the time of day as well. But, as in my son's example, many times he ended up parking on the street and had to run out every couple of hours to put money in the meter, which wasn't always easy to do - he couldn't just leave the business where he worked before the meter ran out.

Who else would be "abusing" the system? And why? If you're in town shopping or working and filling a meter, how is that abuse? Actually, going to 3 hours is the problem, unless you're at a restaurant, movie or Paramount show.

I like the idea of being able to just put in a quarter for 15 minutes - and that's been taken away from us. What's also been taken away is being able to pull in a parking spot and there's still time on the meter from the previous parker that you can use up! Now, if someone leaves their spot before their time is up, you still have to punch in all new time and pay for it. Town makes out twice on that same parking spot!

Old 05-15-2014, 11:07 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,116,866 times
Ok so I did not realize this aspect from this thread. The minimum is you have to pay $1.00 even if you just wanted 30 minutes. That's a bit much, so I take back my original response. Only good thing is it does not start until 10am, for those who want to stop for coffee or such.

Old 05-16-2014, 03:09 PM

570 posts, read 1,216,759 times
Does anyone know if you have a handicap tag, can you park at one of these new meters without paying?

Old 05-16-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Does anyone know if you have a handicap tag, can you park at one of these new meters without paying?
I was wondering the same. But then I thought, if they just check the meter they won't see the tag.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,479,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
This is just one of Petrone's newest money-making schemes. I wouldn't be surprised if he got something out of it, like campaign contributions.

Interesting, Patchogue just got the very same meters and there was an article recently in Newsday where the businesses are complaining because they feel that the fines are too excessive and are keeping people AWAY from shopping! I'll bet that Huntington will ultimately experience the very same issue.
Living in Patchogue, I won't go into the town for dinner or drinks anymore. The small lot that is free is always packed out and I'm not paying for the privilege of giving a business my money.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:13 PM

Well well well….just read on Newsday they are going back to .25 cents after public outcry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island