Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

From reading threads here, it seems like there's a huge difference...people seem to have very strong opinions on Nassau vs. Suffolk. Coming from NYC, I'm trying to figure all of this out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM

245 posts, read 298,356 times
Default I know a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
From reading threads here, it seems like there's a huge difference...people seem to have very strong opinions on Nassau vs. Suffolk. Coming from NYC, I'm trying to figure all of this out. Thanks!
1) Suffolk is more suburban//rural.
2) Taxes, generally speaking, are higher in Nassau.
3) There is more crime in Nassau.
4) Nassau is traditionally Republican.

Hope that helps, Dogg!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post

Hope that helps, Dogg!
Suffolk is less suburban than Nassau. There are some parts of Suffolk which are still considered 'rural' but they are falling to development.

Nassau is becoming more urbanized -- certain areas look more like Queens.

There are parts of western Suffolk which are not much different than some towns in Nassau.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 PM

56 posts, read 244,644 times
Quote:
Both Counties have a huge variety of towns so it really depends of what towns you're talking about but the obvious difference is the time it takes to get to Manhatten. The train commute from Port Washington is almost 1/2 the time it is from Huntington. As far as RE goes you generally get more for your money in Suffolk Co. & more land. Taxes can vary. Suffolk definitely seems less "crowded".

Old 12-11-2007, 07:13 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Here are a few observations (with generalizations of course)

-Nassau County is becoming more like Queens
-(western) Suffolk County is becoming more like Nassau was 20 years ago.
- People on LI tend to migrate eastward . First move is Brooklyn/Queens to Nassau. Then Nassau to Western Suffolk. Then Western Suffolk to Eastern Suffolk (many are retiring in Eastern Suffolk).

It's almost always nicer by the water, especially in Nassau County. With very few exceptions, Nassau neighborhoods north of rt. 25 are really nice, lots of $$$.

- Nassau is more urbanized than Suffolk, especially south or rt. 25. Homes in Suffolk are on larger plots.

- Suffolk has much more green land - there are large parks, greenbelts and open spaces. Hard to find any expanse of green space in Nassau south of the LIE with exception of several state parks .

- As mentioned, Nassau was traditionally Republican, but that may change as
(both) counties diversify, which seems to be happening rapidly.

Another interesting (but not really noteworthy) thing - it seems perfectly normal to park facing the "wrong way" on residential streets in Suffolk county. Doing this in Nassau will guarantee you a ticket almost immediately. Has anyone else noted this ?

Hope this helps .

Old 12-11-2007, 07:24 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
"Another interesting (but not really noteworthy) thing - it seems perfectly normal to park facing the "wrong way" on residential streets in Suffolk county. Doing this in Nassau will guarantee you a ticket almost immediately. Has anyone else noted this ?"

You made me laugh so hard!!!

I live in Suffolk but I grew up in Nassau. Everyone was really rigid about parking in the 'right' direction. (My neighborhood was so uptight about everyone parking in front of their own house, too.) Once -- ONLY ONCE -- did I park 'backwards' in front of my friend's house. I was there about 45 minutes and got my first parking ticket.

Parking in Suffolk is nothing like that!

BUT in Nassau, almost everywhere had curbs, so people would park parallel to the curbs. In most of the places I've lived in Suffolk there are no curbs. My inner Nassau comes out when people park half on the street, half on the grass next to the street. They leave little tire tracks when they leave. UGH!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:55 PM

652 posts, read 2,264,524 times
I love the way you can park in Northport- seems like upstate or in the "country"

Old 12-11-2007, 08:42 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Generally speaking, the villages and hamlets in the 5 western towns (Huntington, Babylon, Smithtown, Islip and Brookhaven) in Suffolk County have much more in common with the 2 cities (Glen Cove and Long Beach) and the villages and hamlets in the 3 towns of (North Hempstead, Hempstead and Oyster Bay) in Nassau County than they do with the villages and hamlets in the 5 eastern towns (Riverhead, Southold, Southampton, East Hampton and Shelter Island) that, roughly speaking, make up the North and South Fork of Suffolk County.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 12-11-2007 at 09:52 PM..

Old 12-11-2007, 09:46 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post

Hope that helps, Dogg!

1. Generally agree, though makes sense considering Nassau is closer to the city
2. taxes are generally higher in Nassau, but property values are as well, relative to the property values their is little difference. With the exception of some of the multi-millionaire areas in and around the Hamptons, the home values in Western Suffolk are more in line with Nassau than the rest of Suffolk, and the taxes are closer as well.
3. Their actually is more crime in Suffolk than in Nassau, though both counties have extremely low crime rates.
4. Both counties were once heavily Republican, and have trended heavily Democratic in recent years, however Suffolk has long been the more GOP county. For example while it may not be the only thing to look at; on the Presidential level the last time Nassau was more GOP than Suffolk was 1924.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:56 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Here are a few observations (with generalizations of course)

-Nassau County is becoming more like Queens
-(western) Suffolk County is becoming more like Nassau was 20 years ago.
- People on LI tend to migrate eastward . First move is Brooklyn/Queens to Nassau. Then Nassau to Western Suffolk. Then Western Suffolk to Eastern Suffolk (many are retiring in Eastern Suffolk).

It's almost always nicer by the water, especially in Nassau County. With very few exceptions, Nassau neighborhoods north of rt. 25 are really nice, lots of $$$.

- Nassau is more urbanized than Suffolk, especially south or rt. 25. Homes in Suffolk are on larger plots.

- Suffolk has much more green land - there are large parks, greenbelts and open spaces. Hard to find any expanse of green space in Nassau south of the LIE with exception of several state parks .

- As mentioned, Nassau was traditionally Republican, but that may change as
(both) counties diversify, which seems to be happening rapidly.

Another interesting (but not really noteworthy) thing - it seems perfectly normal to park facing the "wrong way" on residential streets in Suffolk county. Doing this in Nassau will guarantee you a ticket almost immediately. Has anyone else noted this ?

Hope this helps .
I live in South Floral Park (Nassau) and in my tiny village we can park on the opposite side of the street. The reason for this is b/c everyone knows it is not permanent parking. Also every vehicle MUST be off the street at 2am anyway or you will get a ticket. One of the great things I like about my village. My roads are empty at night and in the early morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island