Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 AM

4 posts, read 7,736 times

Advertisements

Looking for some opinions on Sachem School District. Currently live in the district and thinking about moving. We live in a nice neighborhood and it would be ideal to just stay without the hassle of moving. I am worried about Sachem and the higher grade levels. Do a large percentage of kids go to 4 year colleges? Is it worth packing up and moving to Sayville? I know the stats so not looking for that info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 07:54 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
if you can afford to live in Sayville, DO IT!

Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty2448 View Post
Looking for some opinions on Sachem School District. Currently live in the district and thinking about moving. We live in a nice neighborhood and it would be ideal to just stay without the hassle of moving. I am worried about Sachem and the higher grade levels. Do a large percentage of kids go to 4 year colleges? Is it worth packing up and moving to Sayville? I know the stats so not looking for that info.
Since you only mentioned schools, If I were you, I would make sure I have enough $$$ for extra tuition/coaching outside the school after the move.

Did you have any other considerations besides the school that helped you choose Sayville ?

Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,522,554 times
William Floyd just had a graduate accepted to every Ivy League school in the country. Just keep that in mind.

Old 06-20-2014, 09:33 AM

3,526 posts, read 5,708,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betty2448 View Post

people choosing 2 or 4 year colleges these days are NOT always about just grades and making it into schools. its about economics and a lot of kids are doing 2 years at suffolk or 2 at farmingdale because of the expense and then transferring to another school to finish their bachelors.

Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agw123 View Post
people choosing 2 or 4 year colleges these days are NOT always about just grades and making it into schools. its about economics and a lot of kids are doing 2 years at suffolk or 2 at farmingdale because of the expense and then transferring to another school to finish their bachelors.
I think this is the best way to do it. Unfortunately, I've heard some universities won't accept the credits from 2 year colleges, at least from what I heard from a mom at my work who is sending off a kid to college this year. They really try to swindle kids these days.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:43 PM

703 posts, read 1,174,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post
I think this is the best way to do it. Unfortunately, I've heard some universities won't accept the credits from 2 year colleges, at least from what I heard from a mom at my work who is sending off a kid to college this year. They really try to swindle kids these days.
Every 4 year SUNY has to accept the 2 year from ny state community colleges.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM

483 posts, read 670,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okellies View Post

As another poster said, every 4 yr. state school must accept a two year degree from another state school. Many intelligent people that can otherwise go to a four year university do this to save some cash, or to get into the more selective university (ex SUNY Stony Brook) through that back door. And SUNY Farmingdale is fantastic, and now a four year school linked with Stony Brook for some degrees.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:50 PM

718 posts, read 621,034 times
Sachem isn't actually such a great school. If you look at the rankings they have some of the most lowest grades in various subjects throughout the entire state. This place isn't known for turning out rocket scientist.

Ironically there teachers and administration are very well paid. Taxes are very high and they always get there increases no matter what.

Sachem is a BIG school system but not a good or great one! Don't be fooled by size in believing the biggest district is the best, its definitely not. There also a huge heroin and pill problem in the area especially with the kids. The area is turning into junky- ville, crime is increasing, a dam shame, it used to be very quiet, safe and secure but the times are changing.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:11 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
We had homes in Sachem, Patchogue and Longwood school district. We choose Parochial. A friend of mine swears by Sachem and thinks it is fantastic ; but then she is a parent who is super involved in her children's education and ensures they succeed. I personally do not like the size of either three. I would be afraid that the kids would get lost in the shuffle. Also with sports ; if it is a big school district, the kids who aren't fantastic in sports, will not make teams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island