Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,836 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to hear from people who actually use the LIRR to commute to/from work and/or go into NYC for entertainment or visiting friends/family and NOT the usual crew who love to troll around making ignorant and snarky remarks.

So, it's being said that a strike is almost sure to happen because the already-overpaid employees are whining that they want more, more, more in addition to their double-pensions, free medical, huge salaries, etc. They said the strike may start in July but that the MTA is going to be mailing out (and charging) for the July monthly tickets that people signed up for autopay to receive each month. (I wonder if you can get a pro-rated refund if they go on strike??)

The news is telling people not to attempt driving in individually but to carpool and there will be many carpool sites where people can meet up and find others willing to carpool. I can't even imagine what the traffic will be like!!!! Other stories are telling people to just "take time off from work and stay home" (as if!). They're also saying to at least double the time you would normally set aside for your commute.

I know that if they go on strike, I will either work extra hours/less days and find a way to get to Queens and just take the subway from there.

Do you think they're going to strike? What is your contingency plan?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:08 AM

181 posts, read 445,266 times
I commute to Atlantic terminal so driving would be somewhat slightly less painful - but if it comes down to everyone needing to drive, regardless of how many are carpooling, the whole infrastructure will collapse...If there is a strike, will that mean absolutely no subways or trains are available...or maybe a highly reduced schedule?? Worst case scenario, I can work from home but will be difficult for those times I have to be in the office - but at least everyone else will be affected too...I definitely sympathize with the ones who don't have that option though...

Goes to show you how much the MTA controls everything...

Old 06-22-2014, 11:38 AM

283 posts, read 581,894 times
I don't see people getting into the city without the LIRR. The traffic will be awful and where will everyone park? I think most people will be using sick time. Business will be putting a lot of pressure on the MTA.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:41 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
Didn't they turn away people at the midtown tunnel if they weren't carpooling last time there was a strike?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:47 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Didn't they turn away people at the midtown tunnel if they weren't carpooling last time there was a strike?
Yep. If you weren't in the city by 6 am you couldn't get through without 2 people in the car.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:55 AM

622 posts, read 853,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
Don't care

I have a 5 minute commute

Could you be any nastier?

Keep limiting who can respond and you get an answer like this.
Well now, I don't think the OP is out of line one bit. We see lot's of posts lately (you know who are) that focus on personal slights and insults because they don't like posters who have left LI but continue to gripe on this forum, taking these threads to tangents not even close to relevant.

Back in scope, I plan to work from home (which is very hard in my line of work) for a couple of weeks until they demand my presence. At that time I will make the trek reminding the powers that be why I can't possibly work normal hours.

I remember my father being stuck in the middle of an LIRR walkout back in the 70's. It would take him 4-5 hours to carpool in from Huntington, each way! That's leaving at 4 AM and parking at Willets Point (Shea/Citi Field). At night, it was one huge mess for him. He did this for 2 or 3 weeks.

Today, there are many more cars, trucks and buses, more drivers, poorly skilled, anti-social drivers. It's going to be a mess, but so be it.

Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 AM

19,225 posts, read 17,105,490 times
Would it pay for some to go to Far Rockaway and pick up the subway there?

Old 06-22-2014, 11:58 AM

622 posts, read 853,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
I don't see people getting into the city without the LIRR. The traffic will be awful and where will everyone park? I think most people will be using sick time. Business will be putting a lot of pressure on the MTA.
From LI, you park at Willets point and take the No. 7 train to GCT.

Maybe I'll take some mental health sick time.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
Well now, I don't think the OP is out of line one bit. We see lot's of posts lately (you know who are) that focus on personal slights and insults because they don't like posters who have left LI but continue to gripe on this forum, taking these threads to tangents not even close to relevant.
Sorry, but I disagree entirely. Just the other day someone posted a question about homeowners insurance and ONLY wanted to hear from people who live on one of the forks. I could've given a great answer that would've helped tremendously as I helped a friend with that (it's part of what I do) BUT I don't live on the forks so I didn't answer.

This is a public forum and you never know where you can get a good answer from. When you start discriminating and limiting who you want answers from then find another place to ask your question. Amisi started her post in a nasty manner like she's Queen of the World. And she's not the 1st.

In this question I don't commute but I have close family who does and can easily help, but Amisi wants to discriminate and get responses from a limited group of people....and that's just plain dumb.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:32 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Would it pay for some to go to Far Rockaway and pick up the subway there?
If they're not scared of the area, then yeah. There's a huge municipal parking lot right next to Mott Avenue A train. $0.25 for 15 minutes, $8 for 8 hours, max you can stay for the day is 14 hours. And its always empty.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island