Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 09:22 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times

Advertisements

Just curious to know if anyone has considered moving north, rather than south or west as most do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Too darn cold!

CT and MA have the same BS as NY.

NH and VT are about the only real choices in New England. I knew one guy who moved to NH and was quite happy- but in my opinion, it's too close to BAH-ston and NYC for comfort (Yet would be almost as much of a hike as is NC, to see your fambly)

....and too darn cold!

Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM

I'm one of those people who would rather live through an extended winter than an extended hot and humid summer. I realize that most would not agree w/me.

Property taxes in some parts of CT are much lower than LI (avg I was looking at was $5K, vs. avg on LI which is around $10K!). The prices of homes in these same areas are also not as high as LI. Granted - they're not a BARGAIN, but neither is VT or NH. Houses where I live in NC are also not a bargain!

Funny - DH says that same as you - he would rather be in NH or VT given the increased personal freedom thing. NH has no income tax, which is very nice!

Old 07-08-2014, 02:36 PM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
I used to feel the same way as you about the hot & humid vs. the cold....but I got used to the heat (although it's rarely humid here where i am) and now can't take the cold. And by-the-way, summers can be hot and humid up there, too. I went to VT. once in the summer...it was terrible!

This may sound strange to you, but I truly believe you'd fare better in a place where NYers are rare/not close to NY. Make a clean break! Get away from the same old people....into a place where those aropund you are not your neighbors from the Island- but people who have been there all their lives and/or for generations. I know, it sounds counter-intuitive, with you mising your family and all.....but I think in such an environment, instead of feeling like you're in the same place and just further from your family, you'd actually be busy taking note of the differences around you and enjoying a truly new and different life; and be far enough from your family that your life won't revolve around occasional trips to see them.

CT. is not much different than the Island- maybe even worse in some respects. Those $5K taxes will be $10K before you know it.

Go to a place in the Mid-west or South where taxes are truly lo, and houses ARE a bargain [Here, for example, $250K would buy you an executive-style home....] and just being able to get so much more for your money- essentially ratcheting-up your style of life (even while earning less money) would go a long way- as opposed to pretty much living at the same level you now live at, in a place like CT.

Sometimes, being BOLD, and taking a step that you might not otherwise take, can be the very thing that makes a huge difference in your life. It's when you compromise, or try to keep things too much the same; or try and stay "in the middle" that mediocrity tends to get ya, and you end up with something that is not really what you wanted, and not quite what you had. Sometimes you have to do what may seem radical, to shake things up and get noticeable results; and then you look back, and say "That really wasn't so radical, and just think what I would have mised if I hadn't have done it!".

I know it's none of my business.....but if I may offer a suggestion based on experience: Your husband sounds like he has his head on straight. [NOT to say that you don't!]. Seems like NC was a compromise for both of you, and is not ideal for either. Maybe let yopur husband pick any place he wants to go (of course, taking your thoughts into consideration, too); and just give it a try- not worrying about distance from your family- as no matter where you live away from LI, you're not going to be with them all the time, anyway. You can still visit; keep in touch via phone and internet, etc. And they will likely all filter away from LI before long anyway- and if you're in a great place that you love, and they visit, they just might end up migrating there, too!

Hah! You have to watch this (if you haven't seen it, yet!) It's about someone newly moved to PA.- but this is what I pictured when you said New England!

"Bad Move" to PA - YouTube

Old 07-08-2014, 02:57 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
I'm actually from VT. After we retire, dh and I plan on moving back to New England, probably NH.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:44 PM

@Mumbly Joe - LOL. That video was funny. But you know, that's what trucks/AWD SUV's are for! (and we have 1 already).

NC was my compromise, this is as far south as I was willing to go. If I let DH choose, he would have gone with either the Dallas / Ft Worth area, because he has friends and family there - OR, out west (CO, OR, WA). He lived in the mid-west (OH) for several yrs and didn't care for it. DH could be happy anywhere aside from NY, NJ or the mid-west (I guess). He actually really loves VT. Since our first trip there, he's been saying he would move there. First hour in the state, we stopped at a General Store to get lunch and 2 guys come walking in open carrying. He LOVED that lol.

Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I'm actually from VT. After we retire, dh and I plan on moving back to New England, probably NH.
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE VT!! DH and I both do. I just don't think I could be happy there. I feel like it's really way too remote for me. I think NH is as far north as I would go - like Nashua area. It would also be 45-60 minutes to my company's office in Framingham, so that is a factor. And I like that it's not too far from Boston, for the foodie and culture side of me!!

Old 07-08-2014, 04:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I used to feel the same way as you about the hot & humid vs. the cold....but I got used to the heat (although it's rarely humid here where i am) and now can't take the cold. And by-the-way, summers can be hot and humid up there, too. I went to VT. once in the summer...it was terrible!
While it can get humid, I haven't (in my last 10 years up there) experienced long stretches of humidity such as we get along the coast.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I go back and forth between the two. NH has higher property taxes but (IIRC) offers income sensitivity and doesnt tax retirement income while VT offers income sensitivity on property taxes, it does tax retirement income.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I go back and forth between the two. NH has higher property taxes but (IIRC) offers income sensitivity and doesnt tax retirement income while VT offers income sensitivity on property taxes, it does tax retirement income.
Doesn't LI also have income sensitivity tax?

Also - I probably don't know as much as you about VT and NH, but the property taxes in VT are pretty high. I am wondering now if Zillow has garbage data. I wouldn't be surprised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island