Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 03:10 PM

237 posts, read 1,029,555 times

Advertisements

We're being transferred to the RTP area. Looking at Holly Springs or Apex. Wondering what other Bostonians think of that general area. What do you like/dislike about the area? What do you miss from New England the most, other than the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2007, 05:07 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headinsouth View Post
We're being transferred to the RTP area. Looking at Holly Springs or Apex. Wondering what other Bostonians think of that general area. What do you like/dislike about the area? What do you miss from New England the most, other than the snow?
Former Bostonian here -- ex-Cantab, actually.

I really like the area, and if you search through past posts of mine, I've posted several times some comparisons of Boston-area towns to Triangle areas.

To be honest, if you like being a "Bostonian" -- by which I mean someone who lives in the Newton-Brookline-Cambridge-Somerville-Boston-Milton zone -- Holly Springs and Apex are going to feel much, much more suburban as these are full of newly developed subdivisions and strip malls. I would compare these towns to places around the 495 belt outside Boston... more like Littleton, Franklin, etc.

If you're looking for a more urban experience, inside-the-beltline Raleigh, downtown Durham, or Chapel Hill-Carrboro will be more appealing to you. If not, you may be very happy with the western Wake suburbs.

What do I like? This area has many of the things you find in regions much larger than the Triangle (like great restaurants, art and culture, fine universities) without the high housing prices of N.E. I miss the things that makes Boston truly unique (like Cambridge, or Newbury St., or Fenway) and I miss the great mass transit. But otherwise, I absolutely love it here.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2007, 09:02 PM

203 posts, read 162,985 times
Quote:
I moved to southern Durham, near The Streets at Southpoint, November of 2005. I moved down from Hardwick, a very rural area of Massachusetts. This is my first experience living in a city…..if you even want to call this area of Durham a city. After LIVING in Durham for over a year, I can truly say I love living here. There is so much to do and everything is kept up so well. Northern Durham County is very rural, with lots of land and farmhouses. West central Durham has Duke University and many older and very nice homes. Southern Durham is where everything new is located, including the fabulous Streets at Southpoint mall.
So far, there is nothing I miss about Massachusetts. I go back once in a while to visit, but I can't wait to come back to NC.

Old 02-10-2007, 09:40 PM

157 posts, read 617,349 times
I used to live in Boston myself (Roxbury) and last lived in Nashua, NH...I just moved to South Durham on Jan 2nd...So far, I love it...There are plenty of stores, movie theatres, restaurants, bars, etc. to experience...I am a little lonely at times as I left my fiance as she wanted to finish school (1 year left) but I made the move by myself because a great opportunity presented itself and she agreed to move afterwards...The overall Triangle area has alot to offer in general and has a little bit of everything for everyone...it's tough to compare it to Boston because Boston is a beautiful city that has a style and layout that it very easy to navigate even if you didn't have a car...Here, you have three main areas (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) that all have their own unique taste and feel and can be enjoyed depending on what you want to do...Not to mention you also have other neighboring places like Wake Forrest, Carrboro, Cary, Apex to name a few that have their own appeals...The only thing that is a little frustrating is that the area is not exactly layed out in a way that is easily accesible by other means of transportation besides car...You could get around each of the major cities by bus but mostly everyone prefers to drive...I myself commute to work by bicycle and can also get to downtown Durham by bike but cannot easily get to Chapell Hill (8 miles) or Raleigh (20 miles) by bike as of yet but I may find a way if I keep researching...I really don't miss anything about New England but I do miss Boston (& maybe the Maine Coastline a little) but I would miss Boston regardless of where I go as it is a city I grew up in and adore (Go SOX!!!). I would say that if you are a person that enjoys things for what they are then you would love it here...If you are someone who finds little things to dislike easily, and doesn't accept change casually, then I would not recommend for you to move anywhere...

Old 02-10-2007, 09:51 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnene2k View Post
I used to live in Boston myself (Roxbury) and last lived in Nashua, NH...I just moved to South Durham on Jan 2nd...So far, I love it...There are plenty of stores, movie theatres, restaurants, bars, etc. to experience...I am a little lonely at times as I left my fiance as she wanted to finish school (1 year left) but I made the move by myself because a great opportunity presented itself and she agreed to move afterwards...The overall Triangle area has alot to offer in general and has a little bit of everything for everyone...it's tough to compare it to Boston because Boston is a beautiful city that has a style and layout that it very easy to navigate even if you didn't have a car...Here, you have three main areas (Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh) that all have their own unique taste and feel and can be enjoyed depending on what you want to do...Not to mention you also have other neighboring places like Wake Forrest, Carrboro, Cary, Apex to name a few that have their own appeals...The only thing that is a little frustrating is that the area is not exactly layed out in a way that is easily accesible by other means of transportation besides car...You could get around each of the major cities by bus but mostly everyone prefers to drive...I myself commute to work by bicycle and can also get to downtown Durham by bike but cannot easily get to Chapell Hill (8 miles) or Raleigh (20 miles) by bike as of yet but I may find a way if I keep researching...I really don't miss anything about New England but I do miss Boston (& maybe the Maine Coastline a little) but I would miss Boston regardless of where I go as it is a city I grew up in and adore (Go SOX!!!). I would say that if you are a person that enjoys things for what they are then you would love it here...If you are someone who finds little things to dislike easily, and doesn't accept change casually, then I would not recommend for you to move anywhere...

My sister and her husband just moved here (wake forest) from merrimack (they lived in nashua for the first year they were in new hampshire). He works for autodesk in manchester.........and now telecommutes from wake forest. I don't think my sister misses it too much (she doesn't like cold weather) but my brother in law does! I am a little tired of hearing about the patriots but other than that...........

I see many many new hampshire license plates in the area, so welcome!

Leigh

Old 02-11-2007, 08:21 AM

157 posts, read 617,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
My sister and her husband just moved here (wake forest) from merrimack (they lived in nashua for the first year they were in new hampshire). He works for autodesk in manchester.........and now telecommutes from wake forest. I don't think my sister misses it too much (she doesn't like cold weather) but my brother in law does! I am a little tired of hearing about the patriots but other than that...........

I see many many new hampshire license plates in the area, so welcome!

Leigh
Thanks...You know, you're the third person that has had a Nashua connection since I've been here...I never expected that! I have'nt seen a NH plate yet though...I don't see why he misses Merrimack so much with the high taxes, tolls, lack of culture, and boringness that are all part of Merrimack...But, like I said, some people just don't like change...

Old 02-12-2007, 09:40 AM

78 posts, read 223,166 times
Default Love reading about people who have moved from NE and love it!

I live in NH just north of Concord. I'll be visiting Raleigh area next month. Found a wonderful realtor on this site. How long does winter last and what is it like? What is spring like?
Kate

Old 02-14-2007, 06:28 AM

6 posts, read 12,616 times
We moved here from Hudson NH in November. It was great walking around on New Years with a sweatshirt on. Overall, we really like it down here, but I'm anxious to see how hot it gets in the summer

Old 02-14-2007, 06:56 AM

260 posts, read 1,191,261 times
Quote:
I'm orginally from Natick, MA but have been living in VA for a while. We just bought a home in Fuquay-Varina and I can't say I miss much about MA. I think Holly Springs and surronding areas are pretty nice - almost like suburb of Boston. The people are nice and pace of life is slower. The drivers are not as crazy and don't tend to run you off the road.
I do miss certain things... Seafood for sure! the quaintness of some new england towns. I heard that wake forest is nice. I also miss the little mom & pop stores and a good deli. THe school stats are pretty good here but believe there much better is Boston.
Oh ya,, have you checked out Real Estate. A home is much cheaper here as am sure wages are as well. Overall,, better quality of life.
Good luck on your choice!

Old 02-14-2007, 08:04 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,653,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
We moved here from Hudson NH in November. It was great walking around on New Years with a sweatshirt on. Overall, we really like it down here, but I'm anxious to see how hot it gets in the summer
It gets VERY hot. I think we had a stretch last summer where we had at least 30 days in a row where it was over 90.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary