Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:58 AM

480 posts, read 669,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
If you have to ask, you can't afford it. Buy a house that you KNOW you can easily afford- so instead of living paycheck to paycheck, you can save-up some money; and when your job goes away or an emergency comes up, you won't have to panic? You can always get a bigger/better house later.

I see so many people making good money, and yet not really getting any benefit from that money, because they are mired in debt living to support an expensive house.

Don't forget: All of the expenses (taxes; heating; repairs; insurance; etc.) will all go up. You salary may well go down.

Buy something that you can afford without even having to think about it. Then you can afford it.

Or live extremely modestly and save every cent for a few years, as i did, and then move to a cheaper area and pay cash. Believe me, it's wonderful not having a mortgage. I can live on a few hundred dollars a month if necessary. I sleep very well at night. I have more cash on hand than people who make 6x what I earn.
Help me understand this. We want to live in Suffolk and a 250k will be our goal. How does one pay all cash? We can put down 70k

Tell me about your payment and when you paid and where and how you did it? We are on point to have 100,000 saved by time we move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 11:25 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
Help me understand this. We want to live in Suffolk and a 250k will be our goal. How does one pay all cash? We can put down 70k

Tell me about your payment and when you paid and where and how you did it? We are on point to have 100,000 saved by time we move out.
All cash is when you dont take a loan. So in order to get a $250k house all in cash you must pay $250k upfront at the closing, plus closing costs, attorney fees etc etc. In that case, no bank would be involved on your side.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:39 AM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
34 Forest Ln, Coram, NY 11727 | Listing Information | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

$100k house in Coram. You don't need a loan for this. You will have enough cash to buy it out. We will chip in money for you to buy a tent to camp outside since this house is "Property Is A Full Gut Rehab"

Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Help me understand this. We want to live in Suffolk and a 250k will be our goal. How does one pay all cash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
All cash is when you dont take a loan. So in order to get a $250k house all in cash you must pay $250k upfront at the closing, plus closing costs, attorney fees etc etc. In that case, no bank would be involved on your side.
wait...did this exchange really just happen?

I think I'm starting to get nostalgic for Crooks and Walter.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:14 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
wait...did this exchange really just happen?

I think I'm starting to get nostalgic for Crooks and Walter.
Methinks QUEST thought it was coming to closing with a wad of Ben Franklin's lol

Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 PM

715 posts, read 1,234,181 times
Quote:

Old 07-09-2014, 01:43 PM

791 posts, read 1,623,061 times
Quote:

Typically, folks who pay all cash do so by saving up ALL THE CASH needed to purchase the home, by living very frugally and/or waiting a long time to buy a home and/or getting better jobs so they have more money.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
LIQUEST, try this website for multiple mortgage quotes:

https://www.lendingtree.com/?theme=scrollablegreen

Old 07-09-2014, 06:39 PM

852 posts, read 968,983 times
Quote:

Oh, you've got it easy! I only had half of what you have- and that had to cover moving 1000 miles, and everything!

Here's the deal: You just buy a house whose price is equal to or lower thatn what you have saved. Tough on LI, with the outrageous prices- but even there you could do it. Buy a fixer-upper and work on it as you live in it. (A crappy house in a nice neighborhood, to rehab, is better than a nice house in a crappy neighborhood- because since it probably won't be your dream home, you'll want to be able to sell it easily.

The beauty of such a plan, too, is that even if real estate prices go down (which they almost surely will over the next few years) the equity you'll build in a fixer-upper will still ensure that you make a nice profit.

I did it a little differently: I lived in a studio apartment and slept on the floor for a few years- then took my wad of cash and bought 28 acres in a nice rural area 1000 miles away, and made me a nice place out of an over-grown cow pasture and some woods.

We're in for some very dire economic, political and societal situations in the coming years- don't risk all your dough and time on something that's predicated upon you keeping your job and/or real estate values going up. There are plenty of people in recent years who lost it all doing that- just look at all the foreclosure signs around there.

Old 07-10-2014, 08:39 AM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
He got a cleaning job for 50k. I don't think he can find a 50K cleaning job anywhere else in this country except big city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: