Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,661 times

Advertisements

Hi,
does any one know, can we build our own house in New Jersey by our own labor without hire a general contractor or home builder? if the answer YES!, how can I find build own home regulation?
thank in advance for your respond...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I would start by calling your township.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:12 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,035,795 times
You had better be very well versed on zoning laws and building codes. Very well versed. A mistake will cost you much more money than a GC's fee.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:52 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,582,047 times
One thing to watch for is building height. One town I know several contractors who made the building several inches too high and they had to rip down the roof/attic and redo both houses. Also you need someone who is a licensed electrician to oversee the wiring, but otherwise I don't see why not.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I would start by calling your township.
This pretty much sums it up.

Go to your township's website and browse to the Building Department for info about their permit process, building codes, zoning and engineering, applications, submitting floor/building plans, certifications, inspections, fee schedules, checklists, local ordinances, etc. etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:04 AM

11,340 posts, read 16,695,644 times
You're playing not just with fire but heading into the belly of a volcano.

Seriously, you're asking for major trouble and this could end up costing you alot more in money and time.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:54 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,935,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPNJ View Post
Hi,
does any one know, can we build our own house in New Jersey by our own labor without hire a general contractor or home builder? if the answer YES!, how can I find build own home regulation?
thank in advance for your respond...
There is no requirement that you hire someone as a GC. But there are MANY rules & regulations in the process that must be followed, concerning everything from structure placement, to impervious coverage limitations, to building height and foundation depth, and many others. I would respectfully suggest that if you don't even know you are allowed to be your own GC, you probably don't have the knowledge required to be your own GC.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:52 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,440,939 times
Maybe the original poster is from another state that doesn't police you when own your own land and can do whatever you want,i don't see why if you know carpentry why you couldn't build your own home,if i had the chance to build my own home on my own lot i would have my husband build my home in a second, being a master carpenter he could build anything,i would trust him more than i would the GC now,all they do is hire immigrants who know nothing. i don't know how many times someone has called my husband to fix what they have messed up on even though it passed inspection.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:44 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,231,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Maybe the original poster is from another state that doesn't police you when own your own land and can do whatever you want,i don't see why if you know carpentry why you couldn't build your own home,if i had the chance to build my own home on my own lot i would have my husband build my home in a second, being a master carpenter he could build anything,i would trust him more than i would the GC now,all they do is hire immigrants who know nothing. i don't know how many times someone has called my husband to fix what they have messed up on even though it passed inspection.
The rules are there for safety and preservation of neighborhoods. You may not agree with the rules in the abstract--but you probably would if someone started building a rickety highrise apartment building in the neighboring lot.

Anyway, from a legal standpoint, there's nothing stopping you from building your own home. However, the rules surrounding building construction will vary considerably from town to town, and everywhere has zoning rules of some sort that you will need to follow. To the extent you are able to understand and follow the zoning rules, you'll be fine, but in many places the zoning and safety rules are arcane, and having someone experienced with construction in your area is important for avoiding fines and other liability that the town may impose for violation of the zoning laws.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:58 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,204,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
Maybe the original poster is from another state that doesn't police you when own your own land and can do whatever you want
This is New Jersey. There's a reason Pennsylvania's slogan is "America starts here".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: