Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 04:34 AM

409 posts, read 512,045 times

Advertisements

A prop explains Westbury’s “Zero Tolerance” housing enforcement program. (Source: News-12)

WESTBURY, NY — A special police task force has been created to snoop in on property owners and make sure that they aren’t allowing guests to stay in their homes without government approval.

The town is dispersing fliers detailing to residents how they can snitch on their neighbors to the police.

Your thoughts please..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 05:06 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
A prop explains Westbury’s “Zero Tolerance” housing enforcement program. (Source: News-12)

WESTBURY, NY — A special police task force has been created to snoop in on property owners and make sure that they aren’t allowing guests to stay in their homes without government approval.

The town is dispersing fliers detailing to residents how they can snitch on their neighbors to the police.

Your thoughts please..
Thoughts .... The way you you have this...L.I. sounds like a police state no better then Nazi Germany in the 30's and 40's...maybe this will clear it up some....

Village of Westbury creating housing enforcement unit to crack down on illegal housing

WESTBURY - The Village of Westbury is creating a housing enforcement unit and hiring two new officers to crack down on illegal housing.
The village will also conduct inspections without notice and increase housing violation fines. It will also raise fees and toughen maintenance rules for homes owned by absentee landlords.
“It's not targeted to any particular people, it's just targeted to a situation, which is landlords who are making money by victimizing people in the community and by victimizing the community as a whole,” says Mayor Peter Cavallaro.

Village of Westbury creating housing enforcement unit to crack down on illegal housing - News 12 Long Island

Old 03-31-2014, 06:11 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,337 times
Anyone who hides Vito Andolini will regret it!

Old 03-31-2014, 07:57 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Thoughts .... The way you you have this...L.I. sounds like a police state no better then Nazi Germany in the 30's and 40's...maybe this will clear it up some....

Village of Westbury creating housing enforcement unit to crack down on illegal housing

WESTBURY - The Village of Westbury is creating a housing enforcement unit and hiring two new officers to crack down on illegal housing.
The village will also conduct inspections without notice and increase housing violation fines. It will also raise fees and toughen maintenance rules for homes owned by absentee landlords.
“It's not targeted to any particular people, it's just targeted to a situation, which is landlords who are making money by victimizing people in the community and by victimizing the community as a whole,” says Mayor Peter Cavallaro.

Village of Westbury creating housing enforcement unit to crack down on illegal housing - News 12 Long Island

This is too funny. The officers will probably make $150k a year with over time, possibly negating the cost of having the officers and costing the village more money (higher taxes) and it's not targeted at any particular group. Sometimes just reading this board and you get an excellent laugh

Old 03-31-2014, 08:56 AM

321 posts, read 595,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
This is too funny. The officers will probably make $150k a year with over time, possibly negating the cost of having the officers and costing the village more money (higher taxes) and it's not targeted at any particular group. Sometimes just reading this board and you get an excellent laugh
Code enforcement officers are not Police Officers. They aren't going to make $150k in two years.

The illegal housing problem in Westbury and New Cassel is rampant. The lost tax revenue is costing tax payers tens of millions of dollars.

A handful of glorified meter maids doing home inspections is not going to negate the fines handed down to offenders.

The real problem is that there is no way for the inspectors to gain access to the homes without a warrant. I have heard that town inspectors have been responding to Craigslist ads undercover to gain access to illegal apartments and then return the following day to issue the appropriate tickets.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
Hope they bring a court order, I believe "illegal search & seizure" is covered under the Constitution...

Old 03-31-2014, 07:16 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
You say "illegal housing" we say the "man trying to keep us down". Next Westbury will be forcing all males to get state approved Kim Jong-un haircuts.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 PM

321 posts, read 595,806 times
Are the last two posters both arguing in favor of illegal multiple family rentals?

Many people on LI complain about their taxes being sky high. The single largest item on your tax bills is your school district tax.

If a house is zoned for a single family when in fact there are 3 or 4 families living in illegal apartments there don't you think that is a major problem?

I have personally seen houses cut up like egg cartons inside with families with 3 small children living in a single room. That house is covering the tax burden of a single family but they are sending 4 times that many children to public schools.

The absentee landlord does not give a hoot about maintaining the property. They don't care about their neighbors getting the shaft on their tax bill.

Giving them a free pass is not only irresponsible fiscally it is also immoral.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
Are the last two posters both arguing in favor of illegal multiple family rentals?

Many people on LI complain about their taxes being sky high. The single largest item on your tax bills is your school district tax.

If a house is zoned for a single family when in fact there are 3 or 4 families living in illegal apartments there don't you think that is a major problem?

I have personally seen houses cut up like egg cartons inside with families with 3 small children living in a single room. That house is covering the tax burden of a single family but they are sending 4 times that many children to public schools.

The absentee landlord does not give a hoot about maintaining the property. They don't care about their neighbors getting the shaft on their tax bill.

Giving them a free pass is not only irresponsible fiscally it is also immoral.
Yeah, but I took out a mortgage I can't afford so the only way to keep the home is to rent it out to a few families. The people who don't have to rent their home or a portion of it have more than enough money to pay the extra tax bill. I mean one of the houses on the street just got new gutters, so they can certainly bare the extra tax burden.

So what if the school district has a few hundred families in the system that aren't paying their fair share? The important thing is the kids are getting an education and free lunch. Who cares that some families in the area are paying more than they should?

Also, why should maintain a property I don't live in? There are 3 families living there. I don't care how they want to live and I never see my neighbors.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
This is excellent news, and a major step in the right direction for the Village of Westbury!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island