Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 08:40 PM

562 posts, read 1,059,020 times

Advertisements

Stopped by the South Shore Mall today and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the mall is transforming and replacing some of the urban, lesser brand stores.

Macy's had its soft opening of its new 200k SF store, and it's a complete 180 from the old, dirty, disorganized Macy's (where one worker admitted that people routinely urinated on the dressing room carpets because they were too lazy to look for the restroom). The layout is much more open, airy, and light, and it's simple to find exactly what you're looking for. The grand opening is Wednesday.

More national brands and upscale stores are knocking out the urban, independent stores. Among new ones opening: ULTA, Sephora, Michael Kors, White House | Black Market, and Soma. Rue 21 has already replaced the prom dress store, and Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, and Bath & Body Works are expanding. The food court has also notched up, adding sushi, noodles, and bubble tea to the offering. Charley's Philly Cheesesteaks and Checker's are the next to open there, and Blaze Pizza and Olive Garden will be opening elsewhere on the mall property.

Thanks, Westfield—hopefully the multi-million dollar upgrades will get rid of the mall's Moderator cut: language removed reputation now.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-19-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Do you work for Westfield or one of the national companies which are "knocking out the urban, independent stores."?

That mall was a pit 25 years ago and only got worse. You can change the stores, but you can't change the element which patronizes that mall.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Do you work for Westfield or one of the national companies which are "knocking out the urban, independent stores."?

That mall was a pit 25 years ago and only got worse. You can change the stores, but you can't change the element which patronizes that mall.
No, but I guess I did come off a bit PR-ish while trying to find a nicer way of describing the stores getting the boot. Regardless of who regularly patronizes the mall, I'm sure some folks will be glad not having to schlep to Lake Grove for certain stores. I know I would if I still lived here (recently moved to Ossining, but down here often enough).

It'll be interesting to see what new stores last. I was surprised to see some of the new names. I think Sephora and Ulta will do fine, but Michael Kors?

Old 08-18-2013, 05:55 AM

530 posts, read 1,360,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANM1982 View Post
Stopped by the South Shore Mall today and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly the mall is transforming and replacing some of the urban, lesser brand stores.

Macy's had its soft opening of its new 200k SF store, and it's a complete 180 from the old, dirty, disorganized Macy's (where one worker admitted that people routinely urinated on the dressing room carpets because they were too lazy to look for the restroom). The layout is much more open, airy, and light, and it's simple to find exactly what you're looking for. The grand opening is Wednesday.

More national brands and upscale stores are knocking out the urban, independent stores. Among new ones opening: ULTA, Sephora, Michael Kors, White House | Black Market, and Soma. Rue 21 has already replaced the prom dress store, and Victoria's Secret, Forever 21, and Bath & Body Works are expanding. The food court has also notched up, adding sushi, noodles, and bubble tea to the offering. Charley's Philly Cheesesteaks and Checker's are the next to open there, and Blaze Pizza and Olive Garden will be opening elsewhere on the mall property.

Thanks, Westfield—hopefully the multi-million dollar upgrades will get rid of the mall's @#$%hole reputation now.
I think it's good for a mall to have a mix and variety of stores. Its nice to keep your choices up. I think it's better than the stereotypical sterile generic suburban mall with the same expected boring chain stores. This is why a lot of ppl choose to go into Manhattan to do shopping, so they won't end up looking like clones wearing the same exact clothes as others.

But there's a limit on how upscale this mall could be. The mall is located in a very working class/lower-middle class type area that can't support an upscale mall such as the Walt Whitman Mall, Americana Manhasset or Smithhaven Mall..

Old 08-18-2013, 06:15 AM

67 posts, read 111,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
But there's a limit on how upscale this mall could be. The mall is located in a very working class/lower-middle class type area that can't support an upscale mall such as the Walt Whitman Mall, Americana Manhasset or Smithhaven Mall..
Tru dat. I bet OP is happy he got out while he could. Some of those stores make no sense for the high hair south shore crowd.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:51 AM

886 posts, read 2,648,059 times
Walt Whitman Mall....upper class area. Now that's funny.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Walt Whitman Mall....upper class area. Now that's funny.
Walt Whitman Shops is very close to Dix Hills, Cold Spring Harbor, Melville, Woodbury, West Hills, parts of South Huntington; which generally range from wealthy to upper middle class.

As for the South Shore Mall, the only thing even remotely upscale in that area is Brightwaters-which is a very small area and some south of montauk hwy locations.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:11 AM

Quote:
This is why a lot of ppl choose to go into Manhattan to do shopping, so they won't end up looking like clones wearing the same exact clothes as others.
I grew up on Long Island and lived there for 30 years... barely anyone I knew went into Manhattan to shop for clothes. Only time I ever picked up anything in Manhattan was if I happened to pass by after work.

Quote:
But there's a limit on how upscale this mall could be. The mall is located in a very working class/lower-middle class type area that can't support an upscale mall such as the Walt Whitman Mall, Americana Manhasset or Smithhaven Mall
Certainly not Americana Manhasset, but likely Smithhaven Mall. Those two aren't even comparable. But by saying "very working class/lower-middle class type area," it seems you're only working Bay Shore, Brentwood, and Central Islip into the equation.

I think there are plenty of upper middle class people and wealthier people living in the area who would shop more regularly at the South Shore Mall if it had better offerings. The one anomaly—Lord & Taylor—has made it, so folks are shopping there. The need to schlep to Smithhaven if you needed certain things has been abated somewhat by Tanger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsarcastic
I bet OP is happy he got out while he could. Some of those stores make no sense for the high hair south shore crowd.
I actually would have preferred to stay on Long Island, but it was job related. And the housing prices make no sense here.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:18 AM

70 posts, read 175,131 times
Quote:
Walt Whitman Shops is very close to Dix Hills, Cold Spring Harbor, Melville, Woodbury, West Hills, parts of South Huntington; which generally range from wealthy to upper middle class.

As for the South Shore Mall, the only thing even remotely upscale in that area is Brightwaters-which is a very small area and some south of montauk hwy locations.
No difference. Southshore Mall has Brentwood. WWMall people from "the upper class" areas must drive thru a Shotspotter protected zone Huntington Station to get there and Wyandanch from the south. Great areas too.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Joe View Post
No difference. Southshore Mall has Brentwood. WWMall people from "the upper class" areas must drive thru a Shotspotter protected zone Huntington Station to get there and Wyandanch from the south. Great areas too.
Wyandanch isn't even close to the Walt Whitman Mall.

Look, here are all of the nearby areas of the Walt Whitman Mall and their median household incomes:
Dix Hills, NY: 151k
Cold Spring Harbor, NY: 135k
Lloyd Harbor, NY: 173k
South Huntington, NY: 89k
Woodbury, NY: 151k
Melville, NY: 109k
Huntington Station, NY: 73k
West Hills, NY: 119k
Greenlawn, NY: 93k
Huntington Village, NY: 109k
Plainview, NY: 122k
Centerport, NY: 100k
Elwood, NY: 96k
Wheatley Heights, NY: 100k
Syosset, NY: 132k

Here are all of the nearby areas of the South Shore Mall and their median household incomes:
Bay Shore, NY: 68k
Brentwood, NY: 71k
East Islip, NY: 98k
Central Islip, NY: 70k
West Bay Shore, NY: 91k
Brightwaters, NY: 124k
North Babylon, NY: 86k
Baywood, NY: 85k
Babylon Village, NY: 101k
North Bay Shore, NY: 69k
Islip Terrace, NY: 92k
Islip Village, NY: 91k
West Islip, NY: 99k
Deer Park, NY: 79k

As you can see, there is a huge difference in the affluence levels of the consumers in which each mall serves.

New York QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
//www.city-data.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island