Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 08:59 AM

21 posts, read 33,698 times

Advertisements

or ill just even lower my temp to 65
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:05 AM

519 posts, read 597,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara le View Post
I moved to Long Island from Michigan. In MI we use gas for our heat and we pay as we go. I learned that it is diff here in NY.

My landlord told me to sign up with Petro and do a budget plan that costs 210 a month. At first I thought it was at great deal because I thought I would pay this 210 ONLY during winter months. Now I learned I would pay this the whole year each month, even during the summer. I even called PETRO and they said it was the best plan because if I chose "pay as I use the heat" it might even cost me 400/500 dollars a month during the winter months? Is that even possible? I remember in MI I paid about 300 dollars a month for gas for heat.

So my question is: wont it be cheaper to pay as I use the oil??? Can I really end up paying 400 dollars a month without the budget plan?

I usually put the temp around 71/72 at home during the winter.

Im hoping someone can give me advice. Im new to this whole oil thing for heat.
There are too many variables to say how much you will use.

Sq footage of house or apartment?

New roof and windows?

Does your heating system also provide hot water for you?

Answer those and you will get a better idea of what you can expect.

For an average size 1600 sq foot house at 70 degrees figure $3500 a year. If you go COD (pay as you go) you could reduce that to $3000. COD prices are much cheaper and no contract.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM

730 posts, read 1,303,223 times
Just FYI, my plumbing/heating guy (who is NOT my oil company, lol) has always told me that when the nighttime temps go below 20F, you should NOT use the setback feature on the thermostat, because the heating system will burn so much oil trying to get it back up to the 'warmer' temp that it will offset whatever you 'saved' when the setting dropped.

The insulation factor in a house is huge; not only the wall insulation but the type of windows, how well the attic is insulated, whether or not there are recessed lights in the ceilings, etc etc.

I'm another who can't tolerate a cold house and so it's usually 72 during the day and only down to 68 at night (other than aforesaid frigid nights when I just manually set/hold it at 70). The house has a 550 gal tank which would bankrupt me if I ever filled it in one go, LOL, so I only get 250 gallons delivered at a time... and that's bad enough. :-/ I'm guessing the OP's tank is the standard 275 gal type?

A friend of mine has a 1200 sf house that was vacant over the winter last year but the thermostat held at a constant 62 degrees on advice of plumber (to avoid freezing of heating and water lines). New Andersen windows and attic insulation, but circa-1970 wall insulation so who knows how good/bad it is. She told me it still used about $2000 worth of oil for the season, and that was with zero hot water being used.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,450,810 times
Biggest question is how many hours a day are you home?

I rented out a 1,200 square foot condo once to a tenant that was all electric heat during a very cold winter. And had an electric water heater.

Guess what they did not complain. Turns out dual income couple worked ten hours a day and at night they used a small space heater in the bedroom. The electric heat was on 50 degrees around 18 hours a day. And since no kids often went away on weekend.

ALso they commuted to work together and took back to back showers so my electric water heater only kicked on once.

I was told in that same unit if you have lots of kids everytime they use hot water to wash hands, wash dishes, run dishwasher electric water heater kicks on. Also the space heater only works if you are in same room.

Lots of snowbirds in my building dont mind the electric heat, they either winterize or set it at 50 and leave for winter.

If you have gas heat which is much much much more efficient but you and hubbie work from home and have kids look out.

Old 08-06-2014, 10:05 AM

715 posts, read 1,234,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara le View Post
i totally forgot about space heaters!!!! my houae 100% solar powered. thank you for that idea!!!!! my electric bill is like 3 dollars a month cause of my solar panels installed.

ill just put house temp at 66 and use a space heaters for family room and our bedrooms!

I will tell you, I have solar panels on my house as well. In the winter time, don't expect a 3 dollar bill. Because there are less hours of sunlight = less solar power. I would say our highest bill in the winter for electricity was around $100. Even that is cheap, but just to let you know.

Solar is amazing in the summer, we've had $10 bills (the fiance keeps his computer on and plugged in for work purposes).

Old 08-06-2014, 02:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
Just FYI, my plumbing/heating guy (who is NOT my oil company, lol) has always told me that when the nighttime temps go below 20F, you should NOT use the setback feature on the thermostat, because the heating system will burn so much oil trying to get it back up to the 'warmer' temp that it will offset whatever you 'saved' when the setting dropped.
There are lots of experiments and studies with this and everything I've gathered says to leave it low (not below something like 55F where pipes could freeze/burst) when not home because the house loses heat every minute (depending on outside temp) and it's burning oil / using gas just to keep it where you set it. It will lose what it's going to lose either way. Only fire it back up when you're home.

EDIT>> http://www.uswitch.com/energy-saving...-all-the-time/

Old 08-06-2014, 02:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,260,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
Especially an older house like main with cast iron radiators. They take forever to heat up, but once they heat up they stay heated up.

I don't care what the temperature is outside. I keep it at 67 degrees (sometimes 68) 24/7.

I cannot believe people drop the temperature at night to 60 or 62 degrees, and then have the boiler run for an extended period to get back to 67 or 68.

Two things the oil company will never tell you:

a) Maintain the same temperature 24/7 (especially on very cold days).

b) Get a new boiler. They love the old oil guzzlers and will do anything to keep it going.

Old 08-06-2014, 05:38 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

b) Get a new boiler. They love the old oil guzzlers and will do anything to keep it going.
you don't need a whole new boiler....unless its ancient. You can save by just getting the new burner from Riello, Beckett or Honeywell....cost about 400-600 for the latest & greatest for efficiency.

Old 08-06-2014, 06:02 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,658 times
Thermostats | Department of Energy

Old 08-07-2014, 05:36 PM

62 posts, read 107,279 times
If you have the gas line ready, oil to gas conversion is about $6000 before rebate.

Most household do not know how to shop around, and end up paying more than $8000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island