Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:04 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,323,539 times

Advertisements

The loitering has now spread to the LIRR Parking lot off Scally Pl, and I think these signs are just there for show, since no one from the Village actually patrols the lot or watches the cameras.

This is what was going on there this weekend.
Loitering and drinking...

And what they left behind, apparently the bottoms of trees are garbage pails now.

Funny how there's always a beer bottle here at this spot in the lot.

I see more empty spaces at the lot on weekdays too, perhaps because people have had their cars broken into, look at the glass on the ground.

Loitering in front of Rite-Aid too.

By Dunkin Donuts...

In the morning by the Bank of America

And in the evening by the 7-Heven bodega

I recently spoke with someone in Merrick who used to visit Westbury often, an old Italian fellow, who now avoids coming here for exactly the same reasons, all these men loitering around. He admitted the Space has failed because no one wants to come to a town that is full of creepy guys (who are most likely illegal) and are drinking. He actually told me the churches were the first to bring them to the Village for sanctuary. Now I'm sure we're also recieving alot of the "abandoned kids at the border" as well who probably aren't that young and are teens that are going to loiter & drink too. He moved out in the 90s as it was just beginning to start.
All of you who think Westbury is OK obviously dont and have never lived here or even frequented the place much. Dont go by the sugarcoated stuff you hear put out by The Village on the news, Westbury is suffering. The Village has a severe problem with illegals in town that is getting worse.
And the new vision is just that, a vision.
The Space just sits there and collects dust. Took these photos today, sort of reminds me of the dead Source Mall not far away. The lobby has a creepy feel to it.

The Lounge is open maybe one night a week, the rest of the time it looks like this.

As is His & Her's across the street. Lets face it, no one wants to come here, unless you like bodegas and getting drunk in the street.

Startup theaters in place like Patchogue have done well because the Village at the least makes the main area of town free of quality of life issues and has people who know what they are doing with the business district. But the folks in Village Hall say "its a police issue" and constantly wash their hands of the loitering & intoxication problems.
I'm not out to hurt Westbury's image, I'm just frustrated at how my town continues to be turned into a ghetto and nobody is doing anything. I'm trying to move but as I said before it takes time, trust me no time is too soon to leave this depressing place.

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 09-09-2014 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 04:40 AM

581 posts, read 1,244,347 times
Is this an upper class, middle class area? If not, then you WILL find things like this no matter where you go with similar socio-economic make up.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
John this is happening all over the country. Immigrants are flooding in, some legally, most not, and further saturating an already poor market for unskilled labor. Democrats want their votes, and Republicans want cheaper labor. While the American people by and large want the problem addressed, no one in Washington or Albany is listening, because the average person has no voice in our government.

Nothing will be done for Westbury. It's just the latest victim, and in 20 years when all the remaining white people have left, it'll be another Hempstead.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:45 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
John this is happening all over the country. Immigrants are flooding in, some legally, most not, and further saturating an already poor market for unskilled labor. Democrats want their votes, and Republicans want cheaper labor. While the American people by and large want the problem addressed, no one in Washington or Albany is listening, because the average person has no voice in our government.

Nothing will be done for Westbury. It's just the latest victim, and in 20 years when all the remaining white people have left, it'll be another Hempstead.
Very true.

30% of kids in CA public schools are illegals. Central Islip schools are overwhelmed by the # of illegal kids that are being housed in the area.

Old 09-10-2014, 07:13 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post

I wouldn't say the American people by large agree with you. It's probably 50/50 like in Switzerland.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:24 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I wouldn't say the American people by large agree with you. It's probably 50/50 like in Switzerland.

Do you really believe that 50% of the country want absolutely nothing done about illegal immigration? Plus that swiss comparison is completely different, that was a referendum on LEGAL immigration. The swiss finally got tired of their jobs going to foreigners (Italians and Germans are the 2 biggest immigrant groups) so they decided to slash immigration numbers (it is very easy to immigrate within the European Union). Had nothing to do with illegal immigration (the swiss actually enforce their immigration laws unlike the US) Many other European countries (England, France) are having similar debates right now about curbing Immigration numbers.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:40 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Do you really believe that 50% of the country want absolutely nothing done about illegal immigration? Plus that swiss comparison is completely different, that was a referendum on LEGAL immigration. The swiss finally got tired of their jobs going to foreigners (Italians and Germans are the 2 biggest immigrant groups) so they decided to slash immigration numbers (it is very easy to immigrate within the European Union). Had nothing to do with illegal immigration (the swiss actually enforce their immigration laws unlike the US) Many other European countries (England, France) are having similar debates right now about curbing Immigration numbers.
I'd say 50% of the country is smart enough not to vilify these people at every turn. They understand where and what they are coming from and sympathize. Then you have the other 50% that think they are all scum and are ruining the fabric of this country...whatever that means. The sad part of it all is the government can't be trusted to fix the problem. That and the American youth is unwilling to learn a trade or work blue collar jobs in general leading to a need for bodies.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:57 AM

71 posts, read 159,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
I'd say 50% of the country is smart enough not to vilify these people at every turn. They understand where and what they are coming from and sympathize. Then you have the other 50% that think they are all scum and are ruining the fabric of this country...whatever that means. The sad part of it all is the government can't be trusted to fix the problem. That and the American youth is unwilling to learn a trade or work blue collar jobs in general leading to a need for bodies.
It actually depends on who you are asking. If you exclude the Latino population in your poll, I would say 80% of Americans would support a tough stance on illegal immigration. Most American Latinos would not support a tough stance since they are emotionally vested in this issue as most of them know someone who is an illegal immigrant.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:12 AM

258 posts, read 456,915 times
I've always said, I have nothing wrong with the immigrants that came in legally, are working, and contribute in a positive way to our communities. However, I have no sympathy for illegal immigrants. Not only did they not come in via the proper channels, they usually affect their neighborhoods in a negative way like you always see in John's pictures.

Strife at home or not, we shouldn't be burdened with their problems too.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:17 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AM78 View Post
It actually depends on who you are asking. If you exclude the Latino population in your poll, I would say 80% of Americans would support a tough stance on illegal immigration. Most American Latinos would not support a tough stance since they are emotionally vested in this issue as most of them know someone who is an illegal immigrant.

And beyond that there are actually many Latinos out there who are completely against illegal immigration (but the press would have you believe 100% of them belong to La Raza). Especially those who emigrated here legally and had to wait for years and jump through a million hoops to do it the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island