Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 04:18 PM

198 posts, read 780,443 times

Advertisements

i am planning a move upstate and i need a company suggestion and tips in general please. I need to be there mid october and pack up the entire place in this span of time, how much will a move like this typically cost, i will be moving a 900 square foot space , 2 kids , 2 adults, but will leave a lot of furniture behind probably.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM

22,737 posts, read 36,990,331 times
We used allied's local affiliate - bay shore moving and storage - to move to NC. As did my sister and parents. 3BR 2 BA house with finished basement cost is $3000. Should be about half that to move you upstate I imagine.

You have plenty of time for packing. Start now with stuff you rarely use. And purge.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:22 PM

9,934 posts, read 23,231,841 times
Look into Long Island Moving Company Men On The Move - I know lots of satisfied customers!

Oh, and I suggest you start packing non-essentials now. If you need sturdy boxes, many liquor stores leave their empty boxes outside for pick-up--they're free The ones with inserts are great for glasses/cups, etc.

Start making a list of companies/providers who need to be contacted regarding your change of address; some are best notified well in advance, such as subscriptions to monthlies. Others will have to be notified regarding cancellation. Utilites such as water, electric and gas require reading of the meter for the final invoice.

BTW if you'll be leaving usable items behind and have no one in mind to give them to, consider posting them on freecycle.org (they have a Nassau, Western Suffolk and Eastern Suffolk Chapter). It's a national organization with chapters all over the country. People post items for pick-up ("offers") and some post "wanteds". The premise of the online organization is to keep usable items out of landfills. I highly recommend it! Have posted and given away many things, from furniture to plants, from books to clothes, etc. People offer appliances, tools - anything under the sun! And I've gotten some nice things I can use. :-)

90% of items I posted were picked up by someone who could use them!

Last edited by Elke Mariotti; 09-10-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 09-10-2014, 08:36 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,258,576 times
Men on the Move. We could not use them because the load had to be held for 4 days and tying a truck up was too costly but they were by far the nicest people. They were recommended to me too. IF you are packing yourself, I recommend
Long Island Moving and Packing supplies (longislandmovingsupplies.com) They had the best prices and free delivery for bubble wrap and a wardrobe. Also collision places are wonderful for large boxes, for say mirrors and pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: