Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,223 times

Advertisements

Hi All

We are looking to buy in the Floral Park/Franklin Square/New Hyde Park areas (all Nassau County).

Franklin Square houses are generally less expensive than Floral Park (and New Hyde Park). Trying to assess the significant differences. I know Floral Park has the cute downtown and walkability factor. Anything else I am missing? Is it just a product of very low house turnover in Floral Park?

Also, for folks who live in Franklin Square - whats the best option for LIRR commuting into NYC? Drive to New Hyde Park, pay the $4 to park? Drive to Valley Stream? And by what time are you out of luck to find a spot in the morning?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 01:19 PM

690 posts, read 584,982 times
I live in FS and commute on the LIRR out of Floral Park. You have a couple different options as you said above. I personally drive to the Queens side of Floral Park (across Jericho) and walk to the station - its free to park on that side. Otherwise you can pay the $280 every 6 months for non resident sticker in Floral Park commuter lot and walk to station. It's a hike anyways so I figured I would save the money and get a little exercise. I have never seen that commuter lot full. You also have the option of paying the meters daily, you need quarters to do so though.

Good Luck!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:43 PM

Just to clarify, when I said its free to park, I meant on the street, there are no parking rules once it becomes Floral Park Queens.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:17 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,208,196 times
For Franklin Square the is no LIRR as you already know. That likely factors into the lower prices a tiny bit. Love FS though. We have family all over FS. Mostly they all live close to either Hemp. Tpke or Franklin Ave. They walk to Franklin Ave. A take the N25 wonderful reliable (jk.) Nice bus to the Malverne staion. Parking is small & limited there. Or they take cab to station. In law goes the distance & takes N25 to Hemp. Tpke then another bus to Jamaica..then subway to city. That is crazy commute if you ask me but she does it.

Some even go to Lynbrook or Valley Stream LIRR but I am not sure about the parking. Have done the bus myself up Franklin Ave to Malverne station but not since 2006 so not sure about the schedule nowadays or reliability. Would not want to do that on a daily basis for commuting into the city though.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:02 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Floral Park has more of a community feel. FS is a divided town: served by 2 different school districts. North side has little to do with south side.
Floral Park has the advantage of less illegal apartments as it has its own village inspectors. FS just has Town of Hempstead inspectors hence FS feels like the illegal apartment capital of LI. Most every block has problems with parking due to 35 year old "children" still living with parents coupled with the hordes of illegal tenants.
I'd skip them both (I am a 21 year FS resident) and go to Williston Park. Nicer small town feel to it IMO.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:54 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
For Franklin Square the is no LIRR as you already know. That likely factors into the lower prices a tiny bit. Love FS though. We have family all over FS. Mostly they all live close to either Hemp. Tpke or Franklin Ave. They walk to Franklin Ave. A take the N25 wonderful reliable (jk.) Nice bus to the Malverne staion. Parking is small & limited there. Or they take cab to station. In law goes the distance & takes N25 to Hemp. Tpke then another bus to Jamaica..then subway to city. That is crazy commute if you ask me but she does it.

Some even go to Lynbrook or Valley Stream LIRR but I am not sure about the parking. Have done the bus myself up Franklin Ave to Malverne station but not since 2006 so not sure about the schedule nowadays or reliability. Would not want to do that on a daily basis for commuting into the city though.
2006...oh it's alot worse now, back then MTA was running the buses. Now that it's NICE (operated by Veolia who is now Transdev) it is so unreliable. Dont ever count on any bus showing up these days, and if they do it will be late. And they certainly run less often too.
Never move anywhere without an LIRR station, period. Franklin Square also has problems with illegals too, so I'd stay away. At least in Floral Park the City Line isn't far where you can grab a real transit (MTA) bus to the subway if you dont want to spend the $$ on the LIRR. There's also express bus service too. But avoid NICE, it will only lead to agrivation and many premature grey hairs!
Ridership has dropped by 50% since NICE took over from the MTA, which tells you just how bad it is.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:45 AM

184 posts, read 316,225 times
Lived in Franklin Square till 2006. If you buy near the Dogwood section you can walk to Malverne train station, took me 15-20 minutes to walk. Malverne is a horrible station, but its better than nothing.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:38 AM

You can also walk to Stewart Manor station if you live north of Hempstead - it takes about 15 minutes

Old 09-30-2014, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 10,223 times
Thanks for all the responses!

Old 09-30-2014, 12:34 PM

626 posts, read 903,182 times
Depending on where you live in FS, you can also use the Merillon station but you have to get there early because it fills up fast. Village of Floral Residents pay less than $100 per year to park under the railroad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island