Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 10:27 AM

402 posts, read 518,460 times

Advertisements

What's going on with this town? I just read about the young teen who was murdered by a former Harborfields student.... Absolutely terrible and sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:27 PM

625 posts, read 902,733 times
How does that reflect on the town?

Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 PM

413 posts, read 598,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
How does that reflect on the town?

Doesn't matter what your politics are, 4 murders (3 unsolved) in 1 year definitely "reflects on the town."

Old 10-31-2014, 04:19 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,744 times
if you look up the crime stats for the town, they're much lower than NY and the national average. Still unnerving though. I am almost certain it's gang violence from central America.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2014 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 04:08 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
if you look up the crime stats for the town, they're much lower than NY and the national average. Still unnerving though. I am almost certain it's gang violence from central America.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
The map on the link shows at least one very unsafe section of Huntington Station and there has been significant gang violence (assaults and murders) and non--gang violence over the last ten years or so in that vicinity.

In August (2014) there were 3 separate murders in three weeks: Here At least one seemed gang-related. A Shot-Spotter is positioned in Huntington Station in an effort to detect and deter gunshots.

Just yesterday one non-gang member resident of Huntington Station was arrested for murdering another resident (they apparently lived on the same street): Here This was the fourth separate murder in four months in Huntington Station.

I don't know if this makes Huntington Station the most dangerous area in Nassau-Suffolk. 4 separate murders and additional shootings over a very short time plus a 10+ year pattern of violent crime surely makes it at least close to the most dangerous.

Nitpicker Alert: This is not to say every portion of Huntington Station is dangerous, this is not to say Huntington Station was always this violent, this is not to say every person in Huntington Station is dangerous, and this is not to say Huntington High School is a bad school.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2014 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 07:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,906,538 times
Honestly, crime is all over now and it's no longer confined to a select few areas.

There's been shootings and crazy crap even in the nice parts of Long Island.... For example, there was a gang war in Southold a couple of weeks ago. There was a double murder in Farmingdale this previous week. Even Babylon has been on the news a lot recently which is shocking. Somebody was stabbed to death in East Northport not too long ago. Medford and out east is like a breeding ground for oxycodone pharmacy shootings!

Your not safe anywhere and long island is unquestionably past it's prime.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 11-01-2014 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-01-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post

Nitpicker Alert: This is not to say every portion of Huntington Station is dangerous, this is not to say Huntington Station was always this violent, this is not to say every person in Huntington Station is dangerous, and this is not to say Huntington High School is a bad school.
Huntington Station has never been desirable. At least, not as long as I can remember. Sounds like it's going down the tubes pretty fast though. My Mom knows someone who recently sold their home due to the uptick in violence there.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,952,704 times
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
Huntington Station has never been desirable. At least, not as long as I can remember. Sounds like it's going down the tubes pretty fast though. My Mom knows someone who recently sold their home due to the uptick in violence there.
I just post a 'nitpicker alert' because comments on Huntington Station's high rate of violent crimes are usually followed by responses saying the whole island is violent or there are nice people in Huntington Station or that it was great in the 60's or that some streets are safe or that Huntington High School is wonderful. All off the point of course.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:37 AM

22,667 posts, read 36,779,658 times
That whole area of the Station south of the train station has never been great. From Route 110 to Depot Road it's just flat out scary,. There's a beautiful back there, just the south side of the train tracks, you're barely OK to go there in broad daylight. The demographics there haven't changed much, but the type of person moving in has (gangbangers). The police seem to have been caught flat footed on that, for some reason, and one wonders how fast they might catch up to - or even care about - the problem.

The other bad area is on the other side of 110, over by Jack Abrams school. Again, nothing new but it's somehow getting even worse.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter

I just post a 'nitpicker alert' because comments on Huntington Station's high rate of violent crimes are usually followed by responses saying the whole island is violent or there are nice people in Huntington Station or that it was great in the 60's or that some streets are safe or that Huntington High School is wonderful. All off the point of course.
I drove through there on the way to Huntington Village not too long ago. All I remember seeing aside from the train station were several Central American restaurants, Bodegas and lots of stores selling spandex pants and dresses. It actually looked a lot like something John in Westbury would post. Looked pretty blighted to me and quite a contrast to the rest of Huntington.

I am not an expert on the area, so I can't say what the rest of it looks like, but the part on 110 is not very nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island