Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 03:04 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,333,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhazula View Post
Ed Mangano is still denying the crappy state of NICE. I contacted him via Twitter nearly two weeks ago and his response was unsatisfactory:

https://twitter.com/edmangano/status/526797718656917504

I was like "Is this a-hat kidding me?" I actually visited Nassau County for the first time in nearly 3 years this past Halloweem and I didn't take the bus from Baldwin Station to Baldwin Harbor: I walked, just like I used to when I was living there for nearly 5 years.
Man I'd like to know what Kool-Aid he's drinking? Probably from the same pitcher as Andrew Cuomo!

All LIES!!!

He knows damn well the buses are in bad shape, but since he doesn't ride them, he doesn't care.
Both washes at RVC & Mitchell depots have been OOS, so the buses aren't being cleaned much at all. Peeling paint, soot covered backs, they are gross!

Hey, if you dont like it take a cab!

Funny as I'm typing this "You're So Vain" by Carly Simon is playing on the radio, its like the song was written for him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 03:48 AM

43 posts, read 106,816 times
Thumbs down We're Not The Only People Complaining About NICE Bus...

https://twitter.com/search?q=%40thenicebus

Old 11-05-2014, 07:55 AM

295 posts, read 346,767 times
He can't be that bad.....He got over 80% of the vote and he supported Cuomo.

Old 11-05-2014, 12:36 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,216,014 times
I do not use the buses but I bet the 80% never stepped foot in the NICE buses so they don't care. Also most drivers do not like the buses. After not driving by choice for a while I went back to driving because have no choice on LI. I paid special attention to the buses when was driving & only thing I can say is the buses are annoying...but needed by many people.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal24 View Post
And that's because the Dems basically handed him the election by having Tom Suozzi run against him.
When you think about it, Ed Mangano acts more like a Democrat, spending is up, taxes are up, and lets not forget about all the cash grabs like these red light & speed cams. All the $$ lines his & his pals pockets while we all get screwed.
Just like Cuomo, no wonder Mangano endorsed him!

Old 11-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
I do not use the buses but I bet the 80% never stepped foot in the NICE buses so they don't care. Also most drivers do not like the buses. After not driving by choice for a while I went back to driving because have no choice on LI. I paid special attention to the buses when was driving & only thing I can say is the buses are annoying...but needed by many people.
Yes there is a tremendous disconnect between the bus system & motorists, and Mangano's policies haven't helped, thats for sure.
If you need to depend on transportation, go somewhere with better LIRR service because the buses get no respect. Since most of the people who use LIRR drive (and have more $$) you'll never see NICE happen with LIRR. Part of the reason I wanted to live somewhere with better train service!

Old 11-07-2014, 03:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,504,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal24 View Post
and he just raised your taxes! Keep it going Ed!

Old 11-08-2014, 01:59 PM
BTI BTI started this thread

33 posts, read 67,893 times
I've seen so many complaints on this forum about people complaining about public transportation, mainly the buses in Nassau County. As someone who's seen the way the system is crumbling, I have to say that if you rely on NICE bus and can't afford the LIRR or any other mode of transportation, you really shouldn't be living in Nassau County. It's becoming more and more of a car-based county with drivers and a government that couldn't give a **** about the buses. Half of them don't run, some burn down, some just don't show up for no reason. And you can keep complaining about Cuomo and Mangano all you want. It's not gonna make a difference anymore. Mangano does whats in the best interest of the county and majority of its residents, and that majority does not take the bus. Cuomo isn't Nassau County's babysitter either, that's Mangano's responsibility. Cuomo is responsible for the entire state, and a good chunk of those people are in New York City, so that's a higher priority to him. Without this getting into a politics argument, the reason I posted this article was mainly to share the joke the county plays on this bus system.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bti View Post
I've seen so many complaints on this forum about people complaining about public transportation, mainly the buses in Nassau County. As someone who's seen the way the system is crumbling, I have to say that if you rely on NICE bus and can't afford the LIRR or any other mode of transportation, you really shouldn't be living in Nassau County. It's becoming more and more of a car-based county with drivers and a government that couldn't give a **** about the buses. Half of them don't run, some burn down, some just don't show up for no reason. And you can keep complaining about Cuomo and Mangano all you want. It's not gonna make a difference anymore. Mangano does whats in the best interest of the county and majority of its residents, and that majority does not take the bus. Cuomo isn't Nassau County's babysitter either, that's Mangano's responsibility. Cuomo is responsible for the entire state, and a good chunk of those people are in New York City, so that's a higher priority to him. Without this getting into a politics argument, the reason I posted this article was mainly to share the joke the county plays on this bus system.
Nassau County = Me First, Who Cares about Anyone Else? Don't Like it, Take a Cab or Move!
You pretty much have to live somewhere with decent LIRR service as it is the only transportation you can depend on in Nassau County. That was a big reason why I wanted to leave Westbury and live in Bellmore, since there's more trains stopping there & more in town. In Westbury, there is not much here, so I have to take the bus everywhere or rely on the once an hour (most of the time) train service. Of course as bus service gets reduced and often doesn't show up at all, travel gets harder.
Yes Nassau is not a place to live if you can't afford a car, at the very least, you have to live somewhere with good train service and all you need within walking distance, and there are only a few communities like that, Massapequa, Bellmore, Merrick, Rockville Centre, and Great Neck Plaza come to mind. Otherwise you are better off in NYC. In my situation moving to NYC would be an even greater challenge than moving to Bellmore as that would be outside of my agency's coverage!
Not a fan of NYC's crowds, but there are areas in NYC like Bayside, Fresh Meadows, Douglaston, and even parts of Flushing that are similar to Nassau but have much better transportation.
It is not to Nassau County's benefit to keep shunning public transportation, it will only accelerate the "Brain Drain" as young people keep leaving and choosing to live elsewhere. But most people here are clueless, you are right, but this will NOT benefit Nassau County in the long run. You know it's a sad state when both parties in the County Legislature could care less about bus service. And its that attitude why young people want out, heck most ppl I know who are in their early 20s are planning to move to NYC or elsewhere.
At least Suffolk County's leadership is more forward thinking and wants to improve bus service further next year. It is interesting that while Nassau's sales tax revenues are way down, I've read that Suffolk's are way up. If Nassau's bus philosophy is to try and get rid of the poor, it is NOT working. The illegals keep coming and coming, they dont complain about sub-par bus service, many actually just get beaters and drive anyway without a license or insurance since the cops dont do anything about it. More & more keep showing up in communities like Hempstead, Roosevelt, Freeport, Westbury, even in Hicksville. Funny since as young ppl dont want to buy homes here it actually makes it harder for sellers and they wind up selling to slumlords anyway. Nassau will reep what it sows. This kind of car-centric thinking will not help Nassau's economy, and the County will continue to lose money and find new ways of revenue (like speed cams, fee increases, tax increases)

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-01-2016 at 07:46 AM..

Old 12-01-2014, 12:16 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,959,268 times
Any think some bus routes should be removed from Hempstead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island