Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 07:08 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,081,883 times

Advertisements

I'm still getting cars and trucks riding my bumper when I slow down in Nassau school zones where there are no signs for speed cameras. Apparently not everyone got the message to slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 08:18 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
You know what's really messed up? The revenue from these speed cams goes to police raises. Shouldn't they be the ones actually doing the work for these tickets instead of having it automated so they do LESS work?

Maybe they don't have the manpower to patrol while give speeding or red light tickets, but if we're paying more for a service, we'd like to see an improvement SOMEWHERE. As it stands, we're paying them more to do the same which isn't very much around these parts.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM

201 posts, read 333,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
The problem for me is not the camera's or what their intent is. My issue is that the margin of error was removed for law enforcement and not for drivers. If drivers had the ability to always drive at the speed limit no matter what then the camera's would not be an issue at all. Every car is not equal nor is every driver. Some cars go over 20mph in seconds with the slightest press of the gas pedal. I've seen this happen at red light intersections right before a school zones. Cars these days have been designed to go faster, more horse power, better acceleration, longer distances. Cars do not have a feature that allows the driver to speed govern themselves. This is what should have been in development in tandem with the speed camera and introduced at the same time, an automobile speed governing system.

If cars had a switch that allowed a driver to turn on a speed governor call it "in town mode" speed limits could be set to 30 mph then all cars driving in any populated area would never go over the speed limit. Speed camera's would only flash on drivers who are not using the feature and at that point there would no argument that can be made for speeding. The margin of error for drives would be removed. This I believe is what should have been in the works with auto makers to level the playing field. As it is right now profits are being made off of human error.

The way things are looking in today's world living in NY couldn't you say that any car that is allowed to drive over the set speed limit is illegal? If speeding is such a huge problem (and it is) why aren't technologies being mandated that help the driver remove the human error?

If money wasn't the motive for a county, town or state then speed bumps would have been more than adequate. Multiple speed bumps would do slow people down if that is the real intent. The problem with speed bumps is that they don't generate money.
Are you kidding? Those damn cars drive themselves?

Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Adequately posted speed limits are fine - I'll stay within ten MPH even though I usually try to keep within fifteen now. I hate to get up early but I just might have to leave the house a few minutes earlier every morning. Why is this a big deal? Why is there a sense of entitlement to break traffic laws?
where does the sense of entitlement from politicians come from? they are ONLY doing this so they can keep padding their pensions. You should be disgusted, unless of course you're one of the lucky folks with a 6 figure pension coming your way.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:42 AM

201 posts, read 333,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
You know what's really messed up? The revenue from these speed cams goes to police raises. Shouldn't they be the ones actually doing the work for these tickets instead of having it automated so they do LESS work?

Maybe they don't have the manpower to patrol while give speeding or red light tickets, but if we're paying more for a service, we'd like to see an improvement SOMEWHERE. As it stands, we're paying them more to do the same which isn't very much around these parts.
LOL It's the cops fault.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:44 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,520,884 times
keep drinking the cool-aide folks. it's for the greater good - stop breaking the law.

they won't stop until there is a speed camera on every road. and if that doesn't turn out to be a cash cow for them, they will think of something else.

you just don't get it.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
Are you kidding? Those damn cars drive themselves?
I'm not kidding and the cars are driven by humans where there is a huge margin of error. That is why I am proposing a solution to help give motorist options. I am trying to contribute to the overall issue.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:41 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,415 times
If Nassau was fiscally solvent and managed by mature grownups, we wouldn't have cameras of any kind. Whichever side you are on this issue, this fact cannot be denied.

Recklessness got us to this stage, and cameras won't solve Nassau's problems. It's a temporary band-aid that helps them kick the can down the road a bit longer.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:22 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Malakalot View Post
LOL It's the cops fault.
Since you didn't actually take the time to read the post - maybe this is easier for you.

For asking for more money beyond their higher-than-avg wages while not doing more work? Yes.

For having money-making schemes such as cameras put up? Yes.

For getting people ticketed for speeding? No. Where did I even mention that?

Old 11-21-2014, 11:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
As with the red light cameras, it's not the person driving the vehicle who gets the ticket -- it's the registrant. Who gets the points for speeding if it is XX mph over?

One of the web sites/blogs showed a picture of a camera set up on the LIE service road -- the school is completely fenced off and there are no access points for students to enter. Blatant money grab! Who the heck is going to do 20 on the LIE service rd?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island