Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 09:33 AM

88 posts, read 126,297 times

Advertisements

Can anyone with pets (i.e dogs cats) tell me what their annual visit to the vet is costing them? I have been going to the same vet for years now in Nassau County and his invoice has been increasing on an annual basis. He is a caring vet however the $500+ bill we have been getting is becoming extremely tough to come up with. We love our pet and make sure that she gets her annual shots, tick collar, blood work etc. We want to continue giving her the appropriate annual health check up but want to see if this is a typical cost that we will have to come up with annually. Please do NOT suggest or kid around to do away with a family member so we won't have this cost. If this is the ongoing cost we will do what is necessary to continue providing the appropriate health coverage.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:43 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
go to your local pet store. They have vets that comes around for basic annual shots for your pets at a fraction of the cost. I spend less than $80 a year annually.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 AM

Do you know if they can also do the exam and blood work up?

Old 11-25-2014, 09:58 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by commoncourtesy View Post
Here's the website of one that comes around to Pet Supplies Plus:

https://www.vippetcare.com/

They have a section where they show the prices.

As for blood work, what costs the most money for doing that happens to be the laboratory fees, not the vet. One of my pets needs occasional blood work and the fee for that alone is $200 from the laboratory, over and above the vet's bill.

You could also try to get pet health insurance, which should include an annual well-care visit. However, with pet insurance the costs can get steep if the pet is a senior and pre-existing conditions are typically not covered.

My friend swears by this insurance company and has had policies on all her dogs with them:

http://www.petinsurance.com/

Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
^^ahh...you beat me to it!

Quote:
I usually use them for regular vaccination, fecal testing & heartworm prevention. I never asked about blood work but I would think they do it.

I usually go to my local Pet Supply plus store annually to do this for the township licensing & pet hotel requirements if we chose to do it. I believe they use this company.

https://www.vippetcare.com/

Old 11-25-2014, 10:07 AM

I wanted to thank both of you. The information is very helpful.

Thank you

Old 12-01-2014, 02:39 PM

718 posts, read 620,113 times
Vets make me sick, talk about a group of greedy money hungry thieves that just love to empty there pet owners wallets bone dry.

I seen a girl at a vet nearly pass out when they told her routine visit was 600 plus dollars. She literally changed colors. Most vets are heartless there very motivated by the almighty dollar thats why they dont think twice when they charge you 10 bucks for a band aide, 5 bucks for a napkin, 10 bucks for a gauze pad. They itemize and have billing codes as if they are a real doctors office. Boy do they love padding the bill.

I remember taking my dog to a vet er and i asked the rocket scientist how many times he has he performed a tumor removal surgical procedure. He said never lol. His staff then handed me a surgery estimate for roughly 7k. He also said he never performed cpr on a dog. I obviously didnt choose this inexperienced moron. Another vet on sunrise highway wanted to charge 400 bucks for a dermatolgy consult for my dogs skin rash. I said please i can go see a real dermatologist for much cheaper lol they are thieves.......

They truly are scumbags playing on the heart strings of regular people who love their animals. They really lay it on thick on people who dont have insurance for their pets.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Vets make me sick, talk about a group of greedy money hungry thieves that just love to empty there pet owners wallets bone dry.

I seen a girl at a vet nearly pass out when they told her routine visit was 600 plus dollars. She literally changed colors. Most vets are heartless there very motivated by the almighty dollar thats why they dont think twice when they charge you 10 bucks for a band aide, 5 bucks for a napkin, 10 bucks for a gauze pad. They itemize and have billing codes as if they are a real doctors office. Boy do they love padding the bill.

I remember taking my dog to a vet er and i asked the rocket scientist how many times he has he performed a tumor removal surgical procedure. He said never lol. His staff then handed me a surgery estimate for roughly 7k. He also said he never performed cpr on a dog. I obviously didnt choose this inexperienced moron. Another vet on sunrise highway wanted to charge 400 bucks for a dermatolgy consult for my dogs skin rash. I said please i can go see a real dermatologist for much cheaper lol they are thieves.......

They truly are scumbags playing on the heart strings of regular people who love their animals. They really lay it on thick on people who dont have insurance for their pets.
It's true there are a lot of vets that will rip someone off mercilessly and I have seen it for myself, but was too smart to stay in that office and just went to another one who wasn't a ripoff. The price difference? $1,200 + $50 a day medical boarding + medication for each day of boarding vs. an in-office one-day procedure that cost $125 total. Once they ask your profession on the application they are judging how much they can rip you for, so lie and put something modest. Also beware if a "Care Credit" application area takes up a lot of real estate at the front desk. People should be careful. It's true.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:17 AM

201 posts, read 333,130 times
Quote:
Can anyone with pets (i.e dogs cats) tell me what their annual visit to the vet is costing them? I have been going to the same vet for years now in Nassau County and his invoice has been increasing on an annual basis. He is a caring vet however the $500+ bill we have been getting is becoming extremely tough to come up with. We love our pet and make sure that she gets her annual shots, tick collar, blood work etc. We want to continue giving her the appropriate annual health check up but want to see if this is a typical cost that we will have to come up with annually. Please do NOT suggest or kid around to do away with a family member so we won't have this cost. If this is the ongoing cost we will do what is necessary to continue providing the appropriate health coverage.

Thank you
I own three dogs. One of my kids works for Luv MY Pet. They work through Pet Co. Its the cheapest way to go. The Vets will work you over with wellness exams and other bs. If your dogs really sick or hurt go to a vet or animal hospital. If you just need to keep up with shots try Luv My Pets. They also do id chips.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:07 AM

260 posts, read 450,810 times
I highly recommend the vets at North Shore Animal League- quality, affordable care!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island