Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:30 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,825 times

Advertisements

Hi all--we have 2 dogs due in a few weeks for their regular vet visit/shots. We paid over $400 for this last year and got just the basic shots (Corona, Bordatella, etc) and office visit. I like our office really quite well, but wanted to compare rates and recommendations from my fellow C-D folks.

So I just wanted to see if folks were willing to share what they pay for an office visit and immunizations (and boarding if you have it) for dogs, and if you like your vet/would recommend them. Location isn't that important (since we don't mind driving and maybe other C-Ders would find the responses useful).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
Not sure about shots, but a visit, heartworm tests, ear cleaning and HW meds was $120 for two dogs.

That is Dr. Mendoza at the Old Stage Vet Clinic in Angier. (Old Stage Rd and Hwy 210) VERY good doctor and interested in us and our hounds!

In the North Country we paid $170 and NO heartworm meds or test--just a check-up and ear cleaning.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:43 PM

18,060 posts, read 15,653,675 times
Where are you located?

I'm in Cary and have taken my dog to Mayfair Animal Hospital. One visit = $55 (just the visit). Vaccinations I think are probably another $100 or so (maybe $150).

My understanding is the further out in the country you go, the lower the prices will be, in general. In places like Cary the rates are high.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:24 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,618,413 times
I've been going to Peak Plaza Animal Hospital in Apex since I moved here in 2006. I like them well enough but can't really say if their prices are high or not. My vet bills have been so high this year (cancer x2) - really wish I had a visit that was just immunizations. You could also keep an eye out for immunization clinics put on by the humane society. I also only vaccinate every three years - something you could consider.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:39 PM

257 posts, read 1,014,654 times
Default Corona????

[quote][Corona][/[quote]

never heard of this? what is it???

I can't help u as I go to a v. expensive, v.v. excellent vet!

Old 07-11-2010, 07:16 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,825 times
Corona:
C (in DHLPPC) = Corona virus:
This virus attacks the intestinal system similar to parvovirus. Infected dogs suffer from vomiting and diarrhea and dehydration. Keep your pet vaccinated and your yard clean to protect your pet.

Read more at Suite101: Recommended Dog Vaccinations: Distemper, Adenovirus, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, Corona virus, Bordetella, Lyme Disease, Giardia, and Rabies Recommended Dog Vaccinations: Distemper, Adenovirus, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, Parvovirus, Corona virus, Bordetella, Lyme Disease, Giardia, and Rabies (http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/dogandpuppyvaccinations#ixzz0tQVLL7U0 - broken link)

Old 07-11-2010, 07:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,147,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
I've been going to Peak Plaza Animal Hospital in Apex since I moved here in 2006. I like them well enough but can't really say if their prices are high or not. My vet bills have been so high this year (cancer x2) - really wish I had a visit that was just immunizations. You could also keep an eye out for immunization clinics put on by the humane society. I also only vaccinate every three years - something you could consider.
I loved Dr. Bailey at the Animal Hospital at Peak Plaza and miss them terribly. I also spent a lot of money there, but I'd say their prices are pretty moderate for the area. I appreciated that they always gave me price upfront and gave me options. I have a diabetic cat and Dr. Bailey was always willing to have me home test and give advice via e-mail.

My previous vet (also in Cary) actively discouraged home testing, said "you wouldn't know what to do with the information," and insisted I bring my cat in for glucose testing, which stressed her and cost me $80 each time.

So even though I have an elderly diabetic cat with various medical problems, I think the Animal Hospital at Peak Plaza dealt with me fairly. I was happy when I found them!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,445 times
Lovebrentwood and I are Magnolia Animal Hospital's (particularly Dr. John but they're all great) biggest fans. Well... we both think that we are their #1, but I'm voting to have a truce and share that spot with her . Anyways, I have a cat, but I know from experience that their prices are AWESOME, so I'm sure they are for dogs, too. I paid about $65 for her yearly checkup and shots. I've paid well over $100 at other places. They also include one test for free for all cats, which I just think is awesome. They have evening hours on Tuesday, which is really helpful. Not to mention, the entire staff is very friendly and pampers my cat like a princess (which, as her ever so devoted mother, I love!). Definitely check them out.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 135,176 times
Try Town and Country Vet in Apex. I can only compare them to what we used to pay down in Florida, and they're competitive. Have been very happy with their care for our pet. Dr Ashford's been outstanding.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,982,408 times
$400?! Good lawrd!!!

Not sure if you knew this, but you can actually give your dogs their own shots (or in my case, have someone else do it). Shots are about $7-10 a piece except for rabies. You can buy these shots at some pet stores (email if you want to know which one I use). Rabie shots you can get at rabie clinics (check the SPCA for dates) or if you are near Benson, check out fortheloveofdogs. They can also give shots extremely cheap (again, around the $10 price) and they DO NOT charge an office visit. They are only open Monday-Wednesday.

I take my dogs to the vet for everything else but shots. Save some money that way!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary