Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:07 PM

5 posts, read 6,477 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking at a house in North Lindenhurst behind the Burger King on Rt. 109 and Straight Path (also near the public pool). How, in general, is this area? We are having twins (due in May) and have seen a home in this area that we like. However, like most, we would like to know more about the area as part of our research. Thank you all for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 05:19 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,620,761 times
I would be concerned about flooding in Lindenhurst even if the home is not near the water. I would ask about Sandy Damage and repair. Congratulations to you and your wife. Twins are awesome.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:31 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,910,494 times
It's alright.... nothing more, nothing less. Average middle-working class south shore LI area.

(I grew up a couple miles away from there)

Old 12-10-2014, 10:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,554,458 times
Do not listen to Ronkonkoma native. that part of LI gets no flooding. I grew up in Lindenhurst and north Lindenhurst. its not the best part of lindy but it could be much worse also. Just make sure your in the lindy or west Babylon school district.

Also look into houses by Babylon town hall. that's an awesome part of North lindy that's a little better area.

Old 12-10-2014, 11:04 PM

Default oy

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Do not listen to Ronkonkoma native. that part of LI gets no flooding.
Anybody looking to purchase a home on the South Shore of Long Island should ask about damage and repairs from Hurricane Sandy. I believe that would include Lindenhurst.

Do you not agree such inquiries are prudent for anyone putting their life savings,into a home ,in a town that took a big hit from Sandy? Really? hahahahahaha

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 12-10-2014 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-11-2014, 06:10 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Anybody looking to purchase a home on the South Shore of Long Island should ask about damage and repairs from Hurricane Sandy. I believe that would include Lindenhurst.

Do you not agree such inquiries are prudent for anyone putting their life savings,into a home ,in a town that took a big hit from Sandy? Really? hahahahahaha
You simply are not familiar with the area so why post? The original poster specifically mentioned a neighborhood that might actually be closer to the SSP than Sunrise. There is no danger of flooding from the Great South Bay in this area. At least not in this century.

There are many areas of Long Island where one should definitely be wary of flood damage from Sandy or future storms. This is not one of them. Not even close.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:15 AM

SIB--- I prefer prudence when looking at homes on the South Shore, despite your admonitions of 'nothing to see here.' Your assumptions regarding my knowledge of the area are without merit.

To the original poster- My suggestions are sincere. Lindenhurst, along with other south shore communities were damaged by this storm; including homes not normally in the flood zone.

I wonder why anyone would encourage you NOT to dig deeper into the most important investment of your life.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:21 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
Quote:
SIB--- I prefer prudence when looking at homes on the South Shore, despite your admonitions of 'nothing to see here.' Your assumptions regarding my knowledge of the area are without merit.
Some would argue it wouldn't be prudent to take advice from someone (like yourself) who doesn't know the difference between Lindenhurst and North Lindenhurst.

Quote:
To the original poster- My suggestions are sincere. Lindenhurst, along with other south shore communities were damaged by this storm; including homes not normally in the flood zone.
Lindenhurst, yes. But the OP specifically mentioned the hamlet of North Lindenhurst which had zero flooding, and is quite some distance away from any flooded areas.

Quote:
I wonder why anyone would encourage you NOT to dig deeper into the most important investment of your life.
There's working hard and working smart. You should dig deeper into that concept.

Old 12-11-2014, 07:23 AM

406 posts, read 875,164 times
There's no harm in being thorough.

Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 6,477 times
Quote:
I would be concerned about flooding in Lindenhurst even if the home is not near the water. I would ask about Sandy Damage and repair. Congratulations to you and your wife. Twins are awesome.
Thank you! This will be our first home purchase and first time parents

I do appreciate the concerns about the flooding. That information will help those not too familiar with the areas. My wife and I will be moving from Long Beach, so we are aware of the flooding areas on Long Island (I did not elaborate about us, so I do apologize if this post is roughing feathers). I was fortunate enough to be in California when Sandy hit, but our apartment building did take a hit, and was not habitable for a few months. This is a reason why we did not look too deep into homes south of Montauk/ Merrick Road. The flood insurance quotes we received were a bit too high for my taste and bank statements

However, we were not too familiar with this particular area of N. Lindenhurst, as far as the neighborhood for raising children. I was told that the Lindenhurst school district is not too bad, and that from this area the kids would need to be bussed (sp?) or driven to school, which would not be a problem.

Thank you all again for the replies! Keep them coming
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island