Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 07:44 AM

200 posts, read 379,987 times

Advertisements

Did it for 2.5 years from South Shore (Babylon Branch-LIRR) to Jersey City by the piers (where all the big financial companies are now). Door-to-door, 2 hours and that's if the stars are aligned, if they are not, plan on getting in late or coming home late. On a regular day, leaving work at 5pm, I would get home by 6:45 'ish- 7'ish (home meaning the station-then had to drive). PATH frequently has issues and you already know the LIRR does. Then you hav to deal with the zoo that is known as Penn Station.

I actually didn't mind all the walking I had to do but was tired of the long days (with the commute times) and was fortunate to find something on LI, now I just deal with the SSP .

The area by the piers is really nice and I enjoyed it there in the warmer months, very lively area and lots of good lunch places. In the winter, the wind off the Hudson is brutal.

Good luck if you decide to commute. Learn the alternate routes (Brooklyn to WTC) to catch the PATH from there to Jersey City or you will get stuck and be very late both ways on some days.

Also, as the other poster mentioned, you will have New Jersey taxes taken out of your check for the privilege of breathing their air. Its a good thing if you ever get laid off because NJ unemployment pays higher than NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:01 PM

115 posts, read 134,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
If you are taking the PATH from near Penn, then it's not really any different than if you had to add on subway time.

That's true - probably if I can find NJ area within a half hour - that's like going downtown NYC which I've done before. Not loved it but doable.

Thanks. I'll have to look into the Path then - see where it goes, what it charges & how much once I get into Penn.

Probably the driving thing is out from what the others said.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:37 AM

17 posts, read 35,600 times
The PATH trains are really great and reliable. So you might need to take the LIRR and then transfer to the PATH.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Even with LIRR & PATH how do you get to the final employment location? Most often the office buildings are surrounded a sea of parking spaces and are located away from rail stations.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:01 AM

295 posts, read 345,919 times
All depends on the circumstances. I did it for 2 years from age 22-24 (24 moved to Manhattan). I was single, my first job so I was eager. I used to take the LIRR to Penn, where the company provided a town car from Penn to NJ. It was not so bad and actually felt like a perk being young. The second year they got rid of the Town car and provided a private shuttle bus. Not as good as the car, but better than public transportation. But even that get's old. Once I worked in NY, would not like to work in Jersey again from LI.

Old 02-04-2015, 12:16 PM

13 posts, read 14,462 times
I have been driving from Bethpage to Carlstadt every day for last 1 year. It takes 2 hours each way (LIE, Cross Bronx Expy, GWB) on a normal day, l. One of my colleague takes LIRR + NJ Bus from Port authority, his average travel time is same as me.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:57 AM

157 posts, read 285,211 times
I do this everyday. I used to commute to wall street but shortly after hurricane Sandy my offices moved to Jersey City and to tell you the truth the commute is the shorter, believe it or not. I take the LIRR to Penn then instead of the subway ride downtown, I take the PATH across to Jersey City which is only 15 mins ride. The subway in NYC from what I've experienced was much more unreliable and slow than the PATH trains that operates more timely and don't get stuck with "congestion ahead" problems.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:05 AM

157 posts, read 285,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post
Did it for 2.5 years from South Shore (Babylon Branch-LIRR) to Jersey City by the piers (where all the big financial companies are now). Door-to-door, 2 hours and that's if the stars are aligned, if they are not, plan on getting in late or coming home late. On a regular day, leaving work at 5pm, I would get home by 6:45 'ish- 7'ish (home meaning the station-then had to drive). PATH frequently has issues and you already know the LIRR does. Then you hav to deal with the zoo that is known as Penn Station.

I actually didn't mind all the walking I had to do but was tired of the long days (with the commute times) and was fortunate to find something on LI, now I just deal with the SSP .

The area by the piers is really nice and I enjoyed it there in the warmer months, very lively area and lots of good lunch places. In the winter, the wind off the Hudson is brutal.

Good luck if you decide to commute. Learn the alternate routes (Brooklyn to WTC) to catch the PATH from there to Jersey City or you will get stuck and be very late both ways on some days.

Also, as the other poster mentioned, you will have New Jersey taxes taken out of your check for the privilege of breathing their air. Its a good thing if you ever get laid off because NJ unemployment pays higher than NY.
Long days? You're saying you got out at 5pm and got home by 7. Most NYCers are still at work by the time you're home.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:48 AM

200 posts, read 379,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shera11375 View Post
Long days? You're saying you got out at 5pm and got home by 7. Most NYCers are still at work by the time you're home.
Long for me. I wasn't speaking about most NYCers. If they are working till 7pm, that's their business.

Old 02-05-2015, 11:24 AM

481 posts, read 666,039 times
Yeah, can't compare them. Japanese normally works till 8-9pm. Doesn't mean we have to match it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island