Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2015, 04:06 PM

115 posts, read 134,121 times

Advertisements

Looking for a service station for an older model BMW or if you've had good fortune with any of the dealers -

I know there has to be ONE guy who doesn't make crap up - fixes only what actually needs fixing - does it the right way & charges something reasonable.

Please share if you know !!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
I go to Little Garage in Huntington. Matt is very honest and they know their stuff - I've been going to them since the 4yr warranty ran out. They were recommended by a friend and also appear on http://www.bimmershops.com

Never go back to BMW dealers once your warranty is out - they know many owners don't pay attention and will pay what they ask just to get an issue fixed. They also over-estimate hours from my experience.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:18 PM

718 posts, read 620,863 times
Best advice dont buy anymore bmws or mercedes. They have horrible reliability records and just tend to be never ending money pits. The older ones are lemons. No wonder why their so cheap used. Then you wont have to deal with any shady greedy sleezeball mechanics that claim they know how to actually work on them.

Bmw= break my wallet
German junk

Old 02-03-2015, 07:22 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Best advice dont buy anymore bmws or mercedes. They have horrible reliability records and just tend to be never ending money pits. The older ones are lemons. No wonder why their so cheap used. Then you wont have to deal with any shady greedy sleezeball mechanics that claim they know how to actually work on them.

Bmw= break my wallet
German junk
Wow, somebody must have gotten a lemon. Jeeze. I've had 3 different BMWs all virtually problem free. I stick to the dealer myself.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:27 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,451,919 times
You have to fix them yourself alot . Even honest guys charge a lot as they wont spend time tracking down parts on ebay or junkyards.

Also buy the oil filters and stuff as knock offs on line or in the auto store.

I used to do the 19.99 oil change on my old 450Sl with free carwash and I would bring my own filter and guy was ok with no mark up. Dealer wanted 200 and regular guy wanted like 80 bucks.

Exhaust is a crazy mark up in particular

Old 02-04-2015, 10:31 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,745 times
If you own a BMW and need a "thrifty" mechanic, you're doing something wrong

Old 02-04-2015, 10:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,889,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
What does that have to do with not wanting to be ripped off?

There are $50k BMWs and $50k Lexus and Toyotas. Hell an Odyssey could cost you that much. What makes one person's money different than another? The stereotypes show a lot of blind ignorance. What makes BMWs different is the way they handle/drive, not that they're more expensive and owned by rich people.

Last edited by ovi8; 02-04-2015 at 10:49 AM..

Old 02-04-2015, 10:41 AM

189 posts, read 345,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
Nothing wrong with wanting to save a money on repairs. Indy shops are always cheaper than dealerships.

Try elite motor sport in farmingdale

Old 02-04-2015, 10:50 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
What does that have to do with not wanting to be ripped off?

There are $50k BMWs and $50k Lexus and Toyotas. What makes one person's money different than another? The stereotypes show a lot of blind ignorance. What makes BMWs different is the way they handle/drive, not just that they're more expensive and owned by rich people.
The difference is that a $50k Lexus is generally going to require a lot less costly maintenance than a German equivalent, which is why Japanese cars were able to gain a foothold in the luxury arena. With BMW and Mercedes, there is an expectation that your car will need expensive service, especially once it's past the warranty period. If you're looking to cheap out on maintenance, these cars probably aren't for you unless you're mechanically inclined enough to do most work yourself.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 PM

86 posts, read 168,864 times
Try out this shop. Honest and not a rip-off! The link title says Porsche/Ferrari but they do BMW, Audi etc as well and take pride in their work.
JSS Performance - Long Island NY Porsche Ferrari Shop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island