Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 12,237 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I'm currently renting a house, but I've recently become aware of the fact that my landlord's rental permit for our property is expiring very soon.
We had an inspector come by in January, and they found several small issues (stairs needed a handrail, etc) which my landlord has since fixed.
The large issue, however, is that they said our basement was finished, and as such, needed an egress window.

Our basement is split in half. One half is most definitely unfinished, containing our washer, dryer, and boiler. It has a concrete floor and walls, except for one wall which contains load bearing beams for the upper floor. That wall, on the unfinished side, is simply wood beams and insulation, with no covering.

The other side of the basement is what I am concerned about. It has a linoleum floor, a full bathroom, a refrigerator, and heat. The previous owners created two bedrooms down there, but we already know those rooms need to be removed. The entire "finished" side of the basement has either drywall or painted wood paneling (I can't recall, and am not home at the moment to check).

My question is - what must be done to qualify this basement as unfinished? Supposedly, the town has told my landlord that she cannot renew her rental permit until the basement is either finished up to code (add an egress window), or unfinished. Our inspection is slated for the day before the permit expires, and as such, I am concerned for the security of my living situation when the house does not pass inspection.

I've scoured various forums, and the town of brookhaven's website, but have been unable to find any solid definition of what constitutes a finished or unfinished basement. I called the building division and got shuffled around from person to person, never getting any sort of answer, until finally being told "I'm not sure." and being hung up on.

Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 02:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
The full bathroom and the heat will be an issue. You mentioned the refrigerator -- if there's anything resembling a kitchenette (or area to prepare food) with hanging cabinets, the hanging cabinets must be removed. Probably will want whatever is up on the walls down, too.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 12,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The full bathroom and the heat will be an issue. You mentioned the refrigerator -- if there's anything resembling a kitchenette (or area to prepare food) with hanging cabinets, the hanging cabinets must be removed. Probably will want whatever is up on the walls down, too.
The refrigerator is the only kitchen appliance down there (well, and a microwave, but that can easily be relocated). No countertops, no cabinets, nothing hanging on the walls.

If we get rid of the heat, would it be possible to keep the full bathroom? We have four people (myself included) living upstairs, so having two bathrooms is a huge plus...

I looked up the public records of the sale of the house. It was listed as having 2 bathrooms, but I couldn't find any information on the basement (though the rooms weren't counted towards the bedroom total). Does this mean the proper permits for the bathroom might exist?

My landlord has a bit of a language barrier, so I'm taking most of this upon myself to ensure that it gets done and I can remain here.

If my landlord fails the inspection, what will this mean for my continued renting?

Old 02-11-2015, 06:41 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousTenant View Post
The refrigerator is the only kitchen appliance down there (well, and a microwave, but that can easily be relocated). No countertops, no cabinets, nothing hanging on the walls.

If we get rid of the heat, would it be possible to keep the full bathroom? We have four people (myself included) living upstairs, so having two bathrooms is a huge plus...

I looked up the public records of the sale of the house. It was listed as having 2 bathrooms, but I couldn't find any information on the basement (though the rooms weren't counted towards the bedroom total). Does this mean the proper permits for the bathroom might exist?

My landlord has a bit of a language barrier, so I'm taking most of this upon myself to ensure that it gets done and I can remain here.

If my landlord fails the inspection, what will this mean for my continued renting?
It sounds like you would need to see what the town has on record for the house regarding the bathroom and any other CO's are permits. Those records would be at Brookhaven Town Hall in Farmingville. You will need to file a request and there's a fee involved. Usually takes a little time to pull the records -- anywhere from days to weeks, depending on the current demand. Try and have the section/lot/block number when you go. It makes things a little easier.

As for the rental should the house fail rental permit inspection: that's not something I can answer. Perhaps there is someone else on LI CD who has experience with this end of things. My assumption (based solely on observation) is that the town just can't kick the tenants out, but will levy fines on the landlord (possibly take him to court) until the house is brought into compliance.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:51 AM

201 posts, read 333,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
It sounds like you would need to see what the town has on record for the house regarding the bathroom and any other CO's are permits. Those records would be at Brookhaven Town Hall in Farmingville. You will need to file a request and there's a fee involved. Usually takes a little time to pull the records -- anywhere from days to weeks, depending on the current demand. Try and have the section/lot/block number when you go. It makes things a little easier.

As for the rental should the house fail rental permit inspection: that's not something I can answer. Perhaps there is someone else on LI CD who has experience with this end of things. My assumption (based solely on observation) is that the town just can't kick the tenants out, but will levy fines on the landlord (possibly take him to court) until the house is brought into compliance.
If you worked for either the Town of Oyster Bay Building Department or attorneys office you could get your permit problems fixed in a day w/o the need to move or replace anything. Just listen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFmV5gsbll0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: