Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 11:54 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,843,194 times

Advertisements

It amazes me that easy availability of designer coffee rises to such a level of importance that it could cause a worker to second guess his very existence.

Industrial parks have existed in Hauppauge for over fifty years. Sufficient demand would have created a wealth of dining opportunities in a market driven economy. Their absence points directly to a lack of demand.

Be careful crossing the street, kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 06:15 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,866,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
The lunch options around Hauppauge industrial park area is so lacking.
Won't Canon or Capital One have their own large cafeterias? Presumably Sbarro won't serve just ordinary food in their own cafeteria.

Old 02-14-2015, 07:36 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I believe the external environment is not much different if you were working in Slicon Valley. It's also a world of industrial parks where you need to get into your car to go to a restaurant. Many complain about commuting on the Caltrain. Inside the office, however, it might be more conducive for the type of atmosphere that you are looking for and many people work there till all hours to be available for their Asian clients. This is the responsiblity of the individual company, not the town. Your particular company is not offereing "game nights" and a big kitchen stocked with snacks, employees bringing Fido to work with them.

In 10 years, all the 20 year olds making apps and games are going to get married and start having kids. It's going to be interesting to see how the pendulum will swing.
I have visited the Google campus in mountain view, CA. It is very similar to a LI industrial park.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:12 PM

718 posts, read 620,595 times
Go man up and hop on the train and trek into manhattan cry baby. Im sure you will find your starbucks and smoothie bar on every corner. Enjoy all the lights of cars on that nice long commute back from the city.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:59 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Work for First Data, Capital One, Estee Lauder, Sbarro.
Sbarro is moving to Ohio, yo.
Sbarro to move headquarters from Long Island to Ohio - Newsday

Old 02-14-2015, 05:13 PM

Lunch options in Melville aren't that much better. I work there.

I've actually travel quite a bit for work (100k air miles last year , woo!), and feel that food in general is quite sub-par everywhere.
Everywhere I went I really needed to seek the places out, typically far away from corporate campuses and commercial/industrial zones.

At least we're lucky to have great place to eat right in Patchogue. Many American burbs are strictly limited to chains.

Old 02-14-2015, 05:34 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,566 times

Old 02-14-2015, 07:39 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Yo Sbarro is filing bankruptcy...

Pizza chain Sbarro files for bankruptcy - Mar. 10, 2014

Old 02-14-2015, 11:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,458 times
I just moved from brooklyn. Of course I don't like starbucks either! I like the community feeling of walking in and knowing the barista more so than the expensive lattes. Saying hello, talking about things... and dealing with a person that doesn't dislike his job. It's a nice mental break and in my opinion it's very healthy. I guess you only get it when you get it, I won't try to school. Everyone was pretty nice and wanted to make things better, a sentiment that is sometimes lacking around here. I love brooklyn and nyc, but I'm a surfer and nature lover at heart. I also want to be near my family. I found myself trying to get in and out of NYC all too often and it became very taxing on my mind and my bank account. So, I'm trying something else. but Long Island is my roots! I'm familiar (too familiar) with the long island crowd, and I can't say i didn't expect some of the responses I got here. But I consider myself to be pretty open, I understand people come from different situations. I'm just trying to find what works for me, and out of curiosity I wanted to know the general feeling of the work environment here. What is next for long island, drive in younger people? maybe a "tech scene"? I'm not asking for nerf guns and kegerators either... been there. Just some progress and positivity and I think we can attract great folks. The beaches here are my favorite in the world and only a short drive away now. If I need my "fancy" coffee nyc is an hour drive on the weekends. If my first post came off as a rant, the responses were the reality check i needed -- life is not bad at all and there is no "problem", but trying to keep moving forward even though i came back.

I would also like to note, Parkway Rotisserie on motor parkway is legendary and George is the man. This is what I'm talking about!

Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post

Old news man, Sbarro's exited bankruptcy, holmes.

Judge Clears Way for Sbarro's Bankruptcy Exit - WSJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island