Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 PM

15 posts, read 21,408 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My partner and I currently live in San Diego, CA and he just finished his PhD. He was offered an Assistant Professor job at Farmingdale State College.

The starting salary is quite low only $68,000 a year. And LI seems to be really expensive.

I will be unemployed until I can find a job. So we will be living off the 68k until then.

This makes me nervous!

We are basically looking for an affordable place to rent we don't mind a commute (under and hour).

We do not need a good school district, we don't have kids and wont have any for a long time.

We are not picky at all, we don't eat out or buy clothes etc. We are used to being broke. Our bills are minimal no car payment etc. Only his student loan which we have a 6 month grace period to start paying, the payment isn't going to be too much. I hope to find a job before repayment begins.

I grew up in the so called most dangerous part of San Diego and he grew up in St. Louis, MO so we do not care if we have to live in a place that's not exacly "perfect"..... to be honest right now we live the most affluent area of San Diego which is La Jolla and I hate it, it's so sterile and plain. I need a little excitment. So any assistance with regards to rentals and commuting is appreciated.

Preferably we are looking to rent under $1,300 and at least a 1 bedroom. I was looking at Jersey City and Newark, but he says it will be tough to commute because all the traffic going to NYC....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 10:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Huntington Station, Amityville, Brentwood, Central Islip and Bay Shore.

Old 03-12-2015, 10:40 PM

Thank you,

I will look into those areas.

Old 03-12-2015, 11:45 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Huntington Station and E. Northport have a few rentals in your price range and would be a relatively easy commute to Farmingdale State College. At this time, the rental market on Long Island is strong.

Since you're from another State, I would like to point out two things regarding rentals on Long Island:

1. there are plenty of illegal rentals out there (no permits from the Town); if/when the Town finds out about the illegal rental, you'd have to move promptly (often within 30 days). Some tenants will take a chance; I just want to alert you to this, particularly since the Towns are starting to crack down on these--in part because they need the $$

2. unlike in most areas of the country, on Long Island, the tenant pays the RE rental commission, which is generally one month's rent (occasionally more). So at lease signing, you'd have to be prepared to pay one month security, 1st month rent, and one month RE commission.
Because the tenants pay the commission, landlords will usually let the RE agents take care of the screening, to keep undesirable tenants from renting their apartment(s); they will also ask for credit reports and/or credit scores.

While heat is usually included, electric is not; in most instances there is a separate meter so the bills will be in the tenant's name.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Long Island!

Old 03-12-2015, 11:50 PM

148 posts, read 248,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Huntington Station and E. Northport have a few rentals in your price range and would be a relatively easy commute to Farmingdale State College. At this time, the rental market on Long Island is strong.

Since you're from another State, I would like to point out two things regarding rentals on Long Island:

1. there are plenty of illegal rentals out there (no permits from the Town); if/when the Town finds out about the illegal rental, you'd have to move promptly (often within 30 days). Some tenants will take a chance; I just want to alert you to this, particularly since the Towns are starting to crack down on these--in part because they need the $$

2. unlike in most areas of the country, on Long Island, the tenant pays the RE rental commission, which is generally one month's rent (occasionally more). So at lease signing, you'd have to be prepared to pay one month security, 1st month rent, and one month RE commission.
Because the tenants pay the commission, landlords will usually let the RE agents take care of the screening, to keep undesirable tenants from renting their apartment(s); they will also ask for credit reports and/or credit scores.

While heat is usually included, electric is not; in most instances there is a separate meter so the bills will be in the tenant's name.

Good luck with your search and welcome to Long Island!
Coram area is going to have a lot of nice complexes near OP's price range.

Being from LA I don't think it will be a shock to the OP, but Long Island is a SERIOUS car culture. Like you need one. Busses aren't reliable here at all and its a place that has been and is continuing to be unfriendly to pedestrians.

(lack of sidewalk, too many highways Eg. Rt 25) No shoulder space for bicycles and so on.

Old 03-13-2015, 01:19 AM

Well, we love our cars. I do not like public transportation, so the car culture doesn't matter to me.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:57 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,068,210 times
Huntington is an option, as is Bay Shore.
North Babylon, West Babylon, Babylon
Copaigue, Lindenhurst, Deer Park

Jersey City/Hoboken/Newark are going to be miserable commutes.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:13 AM

159 posts, read 279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Huntington Station, Amityville, Brentwood, Central Islip and Bay Shore.
Some of those areas are horrible. I wouldn't recommend Brentwood or Central Islip. As for Bay Shore and Amityville, it's a wild card...some parts are good while other parts are sketchy.

I would recommend the Babylon's, Deer Park, Lindenhurst, Farmingdale...they have some nice complexes and aren't too pricy

Last edited by JoyfulHope; 03-13-2015 at 10:22 AM..

Old 03-13-2015, 02:54 PM

11,640 posts, read 12,712,586 times
I wouldn't go any further west than Queens County, NYC. Anything in NJ is much too far and impractical. Your best bet, and probably the cheapest option, would be to live in the areas others have recommended. Like La Jolla, Long Island is mostly suited for families, especially for those with children. You may find it "sterile" here as well.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:13 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,463 times
There are plenty of rentals right in Farmingdale in your budget, especially on the other side of rt 110 across from the U. That way you're by the 110 shopping as well as Main St for pub, mom and pop stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island