Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:32 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Nobody is your friend for life just because you happened to be in the same place at the same time. That goes for HS, college, the service and the work place.

As corny as this sounds.. yes.. my two girlfriends are my two very good and very close friends..but the person that is my best friend is my husband. So..if you have a great relationship.. the one you will go through life with (hopefully to the end) is your best friend. My mom and dad were that for each other (until my dad passed..they were married 30 years.. ).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:41 AM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Yeah.. but hey.. I'm guilty of spelling errors on boards. I'm not paying attention I'm typing fast and don't really care about it being correct.. so really the spelling thing has no bearing on it's authenticity.
Well, OK..being serious for awhile.
What reasons does anyone think one of his parents posting under a kids name would have? Why not just ask the question as a parent?
Also...for some reason spell check isn't always available when I make a post.
Sometimes the icon is there and sometimes it isn't so that too says something about the use of spelling errors. The use of grammar is another story.
He "sounds" his age to me.
And how many of us "adults" actually know when to use the every day word THEN and THAN...would you stake your life on it? LOL...Ok so I can't be serious for very long.
Actually, I've been thinking about that one which is why I mentioned it.
And yes...I have looked it up, but I bet I still make mistakes with its use.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:29 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Maybe it's cuz we're from NY...less trusting than the rest of the country..lol

Will we reform , andy, if we move west ?

Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Maybe it's cuz we're from NY...less trusting than the rest of the country..lol

Will we reform , andy, if we move west ?
I doubt it Nancy, but we'll just have to keep it 'tween U-N me where ever we move to!! Meanwhile.....we're still here
but like my Jewish G'ma used to say..."as long as you have your health"

Old 01-18-2008, 02:53 PM

5 posts, read 20,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
Thank you Long Island for the short 16 years of my existence you have gave me great friends, memories, and an education. But my must you take this all away from me the year of my senior year? I am currently a Junior and I am moving to Pennsylvania this spring or summer and I would be the new kid in town for my Senior year. The year where you have field trips, parties, prom, graduation and I will be experiencing this with out any of my best friends. Thank you for pricing my parents out of what I call home. Even though I think my town isnt aesthetically pleasing dosent mean you have to kick me out. Why cant you still be around the same price when my mom bought you for 175k but now your worth 400-500k? Why must you do that to us? Why must you do that to me?

Senior Year is going to suck
would your parents let you finish your senior year in your home town if you stayed with a friend whose parents they trusted?

Old 01-18-2008, 05:00 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
I doubt it Nancy, but we'll just have to keep it 'tween U-N me where ever we move to!! Meanwhile.....we're still here
but like my Jewish G'ma used to say..."as long as you have your health"

okey dokey (that's my German gran)

Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 41,556 times
Default NOT RETIRING on LONG ISLAND

Thanks Long Island for these last 8yrs of memories and opportunities. As I close out my professional and employment history, the financial numbers will not allow a standard of living for those of us moving into a fixed income stage of life.
sounds sad but not really.
I hope for all of you that the dialog of affordability on Long Island should include higher wages, NOT Limited real estate cost and taxes. Pass a county retail user fee of 1/2 of penny and you would have a billion dollars to put towards reduction in tax creep.
THank you Long Island.
Your energy I will carry with me.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:11 PM

893 posts, read 2,864,381 times
My parents decided to let me stay for my senior year. =]

Santa Fe seems really nice. I hope you enjoy it.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,365 times
Grew up in New Hyde Park. Went to school upstate NY. Lived in FLA and Texas. Married a woman from Cape Cod and currently live in Vermont. Everytime I return to LI for family, I can't wait to leave. People are rude, accents are irritating, traffic is mind-numbing, people dress cheesy etc. However, the beaches are great and it is nice to be so close to the city. I love getting there bc my family is there but glad i don't live there. My wife likes Roosevelt Field but thinks LI a surreal bubble unlike anything else in America. Also, houses are too small and too close together

Old 11-14-2008, 07:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexfella View Post
Grew up in New Hyde Park. Went to school upstate NY. Lived in FLA and Texas. Married a woman from Cape Cod and currently live in Vermont. Everytime I return to LI for family, I can't wait to leave. People are rude, accents are irritating, traffic is mind-numbing, people dress cheesy etc. However, the beaches are great and it is nice to be so close to the city. I love getting there bc my family is there but glad i don't live there. My wife likes Roosevelt Field but thinks LI a surreal bubble unlike anything else in America. Also, houses are too small and too close together
Thanks for resurrecting this dead thread and contributing so much to the conversation..... Everything you just said is all such new information!! We have never heard these critiques of this region. I live 37 miles away from New Hyde Park...but I'll let your stereotypical comments about all 120+ miles of Long island stand...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island