Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 04:37 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS99 View Post
verizon yanked my copper line out when they installed fios, which is actually illegal
I'm not sure it's illegal. My copper phone line went out of service a few years ago and verizon refused to fix it and said I had to switch to FiOS. I didn't want FiOS for a number of reasons and I complained to the NYS Public Service Commission. Verizon continued to refuse to fix the copper line (they didn't even look at it). I escalated it within the PSC and ultimately the PSC told me verizon could force me to switch. I didn't switch and verizon terminated that phone line. I still think that may technically have been illegal but the regulator didn't stop it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 AM

115 posts, read 134,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I'm not sure it's illegal. My copper phone line went out of service a few years ago and verizon refused to fix it and said I had to switch to FiOS. I didn't want FiOS for a number of reasons and I complained to the NYS Public Service Commission. Verizon continued to refuse to fix the copper line (they didn't even look at it). I escalated it within the PSC and ultimately the PSC told me verizon could force me to switch. I didn't switch and verizon terminated that phone line. I still think that may technically have been illegal but the regulator didn't stop it.

Please report your situation to the FCC - they are really following the Verizon consumer issues now especially since Verizon is fighting so hard to keep them from being able to regulate FIOS at all and they want to control internet website access now - the websites that pay them get faster speeds and the others dont - FCC denied them but they're going to court now..

https://www.ftc.gov/faq/consumer-pro...-complaint-ftc

Old 03-15-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Good catch. From another poster, they mentioned the router they provide has terrible wifi range. They even want to sell a better one for $199 now. Instead, I finally upgraded an access point out in the living room from a wireless-g router to an ac1750 and not only the signal, but the speed difference is remarkable throughout the ENTIRE house. TP-Link C7 AC1750: $90 add it as an access point via cat6 cable and call it done.

Yep. I have a laptop on a desk where I work but for some reason suddenly that location stops working - goes to low signal and can't connect - sometimes loses sight of the network completely. I have to either wait it out or disconnect and walk around to find a better signal. Verizon is clueless and just says that shouldn't happen - no sh&* sherlock. Replaced the router & boosted the signal - still happens. Same thing if I'm working while laying on the bed - it is a crap shoot whether or not I'll get a signal. When it works it is fast but it fades intermittently.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
We have had Ooma now for a few years after we dumped our Verizon landline and wish we had done it sooner. Our bill is around $ 5 a month, and I use the Fax machine quite often because I need it for part of my job (mostly receiving things from satellite offices on days I work from home).

In the end, the Fax service w/ Ooma works fine but just at tad slower speeds than what I had w/ Verizon. As long as you have a good fax machine and set the router for top speeds, you should have no problem getting faxes to come in. I recommend Ooma highly - we really love it.

Thanks - definitely looking into this.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Wow so much misinformation in one post...

Fios goes down so you walk around looking for a signal?
Copper is regulated while fiber isn't?
Verizon skimming money from advertisers?

It is not misinformation - do a google search on net neutrality and verizons lawsuit against the FCC and teach yourself something important.

Copper is regulated - Fios wasn't - NOW Verizon says it can slow down speeds and control your access points - they want money from advertisers to direct your access. There has been legislation bouncing back and forth on this for years now - finally the FCC said no - and Verizon sued and lost. The FCC then said - you know what - NOW we're calling internet providers a UTILITY so we can regulate you - AND you can not slow down website traffic or speed up website traffic based on which advertisers pay you more - AND you can not throttle speed. So now Verizon is suing them again. Net neutrality sweetie - look it up

Old 03-15-2015, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
- Mohu Leaf for "free tv" or you can just torrent your fav shows after paying for internet.

- Nobody said you can't just plug a fax into the FIOS line without vonage or similar. The install comes with a phone line for your home phone - you can split that into a fax machine - nothing is stopping you and the link I provided had others saying it works without mention of Vonage, etc. You stated you had FIOS with a phone number so obviously you already have a phone line in there - why don't you test the fax on it yourself?

Anyway, when I switched to FIOS from Verizon DSL (copper line) back in the early '00s, I was well aware I'd lose it forever. I can't remember if they had me sign an agreement acknowledging that but I was fully aware. And FIOS for me is very close to 99.9% uptime also since its infancy.

??????????Test what? It is a jack with a copper line. No fios. Actually my question was if I plug a fax into the jack that runs FIOS - will the fax work and the answer - pay attention - was no. You need to plug it into another phone line coming from Vonage or OOma or Magic Jack - so if I need to do that - then I don't need to pay for FIOS for a telephone if I have to have the computer going for the OOMA to permit the fax to work. So basically I keep the copper for the fax - or dump the PHONE LINE - and just get OOMA hooked up to the internet for the fax. Clearly if I dump the copper I lose the backup dialup too but that basically was last used during the last power outage and that was before PS & G took over.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:21 AM

352 posts, read 387,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatingforabuck View Post
??????????Test what? It is a jack with a copper line. No fios. Actually my question was if I plug a fax into the jack that runs FIOS - will the fax work and the answer - pay attention - was no. You need to plug it into another phone line coming from Vonage or OOma or Magic Jack - so if I need to do that - then I don't need to pay for FIOS for a telephone if I have to have the computer going for the OOMA to permit the fax to work. So basically I keep the copper for the fax - or dump the PHONE LINE - and just get OOMA hooked up to the internet for the fax. Clearly if I dump the copper I lose the backup dialup too but that basically was last used during the last power outage and that was before PS & G took over.
You're not getting it. You don't need OOMA, Magic Jack, etc, if you're using FIOS digital voice service for your phones. That is, get all three services from Verizon, TV, Internet and phone, akin to Optimum Triple Play with Cablevision. The fax most likely will work.

If you don't yet have FIOS at your site, drag your fax machine to someone who does (friend or relative) and test it out; then you will know for sure before you go ahead and switch.

Last edited by halberto9; 03-15-2015 at 07:10 AM..

Old 03-15-2015, 06:54 AM

352 posts, read 387,182 times
Quote:
It is not misinformation - do a google search on net neutrality and verizons lawsuit against the FCC and teach yourself something important.

Copper is regulated - Fios wasn't - NOW Verizon says it can slow down speeds and control your access points - they want money from advertisers to direct your access. There has been legislation bouncing back and forth on this for years now - finally the FCC said no - and Verizon sued and lost. The FCC then said - you know what - NOW we're calling internet providers a UTILITY so we can regulate you - AND you can not slow down website traffic or speed up website traffic based on which advertisers pay you more - AND you can not throttle speed. So now Verizon is suing them again. Net neutrality sweetie - look it up
If copper is regulated, I guess not much, since Verizon's not maintaining it and wants to rip it out. Even in areas where they don't have FIOS, they're still not maintaining and want to set you up with some kind of cellular based home phone. My sister has crappy, copper service filled with line noise in Jamesport, LI and they won't do anything, so much for regulation.

Furthermore, the net neutrality dispute is between Verizon and companies like Netflix that are sucking up all of their bandwidth and not paying extra for it. Nothing to do with advertising, they want Netflix and other video streamers to pay for what they're using. Think about it, ISP's can try to offer pay per view but now they have to let the Netflixes and Hulu's use their build out at no extra charge.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
Quote:

I think you're the one who's not getting it. I'm very well aware of Net Neutrality.

Net neutrality isn't parsed by the method in which data is transmitted. Copper, Fiber, Radio, it doesn't matter.

Also, it's not about advertising, it's about content.

Pretend ice cream stores gave away free milkshakes. But you had to buy a straw to drink them. But that's okay, because you still get free milkshakes. One day you're drinking a free milkshake and you look down and the guy that sold you the straw is pinching it almost shut. You can still get your milkshake, but it's really hard and takes a lot longer.
So you say, "Hey! Stop that!" And the straw guy says, "NO! Not until the ice cream store pays me money." And you say, "But I already paid you money for the straw." And the straw guy says, "I don't care. I just want more money."

Old 03-15-2015, 01:28 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Quote:
??????????Test what? It is a jack with a copper line. No fios. Actually my question was if I plug a fax into the jack that runs FIOS - will the fax work and the answer - pay attention - was no.
In your first post you stated this:
Quote:
Also - if there is already another phone number in the place that has fios - anybody know if there is any discount for adding a second phone number?

wondering if converting the second number which is the copper wire landline to fios and adding it to the fios account on the first number will be cheaper than converting it by itself?
So by your own account you already have a phone line running through FIOS there and looking to add another at a discount. Either you are making stuff up or don't know what you have. Also, I don't think a single person said it won't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: