Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 12:34 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,480,421 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard anything regarding the change by the FCC to make broadband providers covered under Title II of the Telecommunications Act? Google Fiber is suing for access to the poles and the ability to provide residential customers with their internet access.

Maybe we can finally be rid of Cablevision?

Google Fiber vs. Comcast: FCC filing is Comcast’s worst nightmare | BGR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 12:56 PM

258 posts, read 457,692 times
For the most part in satisfied with Cablevision, but I would certainly appreciate the option of trying out FIOS. I hate that because they're the only game in town they can charge whatever they want. I thought FIOS was supposed to be available to all of New York State at one point.

Old 01-01-2015, 05:46 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,418,416 times
I doubt it. Vz gave up a long time ago. They are done investing out here.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:19 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,191,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I doubt it. Vz gave up a long time ago. They are done investing out here.
It's not just the island. They've said that they've given up building out FIOS infrastructure anywhere.

Higher speed wireless is quickly eliminating the need for all those wires.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:53 AM

258 posts, read 457,692 times
Yeah, now you can get a whole gigabyte of it for $100 a month.

Abandon the gouging tiered caps and we can start to consider wireless as an alternative.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:13 AM

715 posts, read 1,236,178 times
My fiance was speaking to the Verizon field guys not too long ago. I can't remember when/where.

Anyway, the guy said that his guys don't have much to do right now, so who knows. It's very possible.

Cablevision has been nothing but problems for us.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:19 AM

765 posts, read 1,556,281 times
Verizon is the reason why brookhaven does not have fios not the town. Brookhaven town hall held a rally a couple of months ago begging for Verizon to come in. Verizon stated they were not seeing the uptake they thought they would with fios so they are stopping the roll out.

Verizon wants to kill fios and dsl totally and move everybody over to Verizon wireless. So in the future people who do have fios might not have it anymore or it might get sold to somebody like frontier . Parts of Verizons fios network in other states have already been sold.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
It's not just the island. They've said that they've given up building out FIOS infrastructure anywhere.

Higher speed wireless is quickly eliminating the need for all those wires.
Not everywhere. Still a big build in Manhattan for obvious reasons, fire island got it due to the devastation of sandy, and insurance helped pay for the rebuild. Vz would love to go all wireless, but no one will pay the rates of wireless for home usage. Its not practical. Even if you had 10gbs a month, that would be gone in a few days of streaming movies.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
Verizon is the reason why brookhaven does not have fios not the town. Brookhaven town hall held a rally a couple of months ago begging for Verizon to come in. Verizon stated they were not seeing the uptake they thought they would with fios so they are stopping the roll out.

Verizon wants to kill fios and dsl totally and move everybody over to Verizon wireless. So in the future people who do have fios might not have it anymore or it might get sold to somebody like frontier . Parts of Verizons fios network in other states have already been sold.
They do want to get rid of it, but the fcc wont allow it again, as frontier really screwed that up. Yes they want to completely eliminate copper, but fios is a $ maker for them, just not as much as they thought it would be. And to the OP, I dont see the current FCC agreeing to regulating Broadband. Would I love to see it? Sure, but dont think it will happen.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:42 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,480,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
They do want to get rid of it, but the fcc wont allow it again, as frontier really screwed that up. Yes they want to completely eliminate copper, but fios is a $ maker for them, just not as much as they thought it would be. And to the OP, I dont see the current FCC agreeing to regulating Broadband. Would I love to see it? Sure, but dont think it will happen.
I don't think they are regulating it, I think they are putting it on the same level as cable and power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island