Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM

903 posts, read 3,581,502 times

Advertisements

Hi. Does anyone know of a reputable company that does egress windows? Cost? Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 12:17 PM

176 posts, read 406,935 times
Hi-
I did mine 2 years ago. What is your level of skill or willingness to do the work? It will save you a bundle if you just hire someone to do the concrete cuts. I had 2 24x48 cuts done for 1000. I got the windows separately and self-installed. Then just finish off the inside with sheetrock and paint. I also dug the wells. I have seen quotes 5k for a single window complete. Thats crazy. The whole thing for me was 1900 for both windows. Not everyone will want to do all of that themselves, but I would get a concrete guy to do the cuts and then a handyman to do the windows if you were going to get it all done by outsiders. Message me if you want further details.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
You need a concrete or mason guy. My neighbor did it for me on my old house - he had them on his house so I knew he knew how to do them to code. He did it as a favor for me, it's not really his line of work or I'd give you his name. We had another concrete guy come in for an estimate but he was wishy-washy on the code, where to get the window and well, etc. If someone comes out and they aren't 100% sure of the size of the window and that the wells are sold pre-fab, just move on. Mine was $3,500. It's not a cheap job but if you are not an accomplished DYIer I would not attempt this yourself.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:50 PM

465 posts, read 1,711,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Mine was $3,500.
I paid about the same. Included preformed egress well with cover, and vinyl casement window with egress hinge.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:04 PM

903 posts, read 3,581,502 times
Thanks-we definetly would need to hire something-anything more than wallpaper removal or painting is over out heads.

Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 PM

27 posts, read 63,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie1 View Post
Hi-
I did mine 2 years ago. What is your level of skill or willingness to do the work? It will save you a bundle if you just hire someone to do the concrete cuts. I had 2 24x48 cuts done for 1000. I got the windows separately and self-installed. Then just finish off the inside with sheetrock and paint. I also dug the wells. I have seen quotes 5k for a single window complete. Thats crazy. The whole thing for me was 1900 for both windows. Not everyone will want to do all of that themselves, but I would get a concrete guy to do the cuts and then a handyman to do the windows if you were going to get it all done by outsiders. Message me if you want further details.
I'm interested in going the diy route for an egress window in my basement in east meadow.

Do you mind sending me the contact number for the guys who cut out your window opening?

Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 PM

27 posts, read 63,692 times
Default Egress Window Contractor

I'm interested to in adding an egress window to ny basement and wanted check if anyone wanted to share their experience and cost.

I live in East Meadow, NY. (TOH)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-01-2015, 04:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,509,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito210 View Post
I'm interested to in adding an egress window to ny basement and wanted check if anyone wanted to share their experience and cost.

I live in East Meadow, NY. (TOH)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Good luck. I find the correct installation of them is as hit or miss as skylight installations. It took three different window installers until my egress finally didn't leak. Once it's in, it's great. But, boy, it can be costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island