Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2015, 03:34 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times

Advertisements

Sole breadwinner, why can't your wife work at least part time too? You realize that your salary is going to get a lot more tight when you start having kids... regardless of what ANYONE defines middle class as. The math is all over this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 04:00 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,044,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Sole breadwinner, why can't your wife work at least part time too? You realize that your salary is going to get a lot more tight when you start having kids... regardless of what ANYONE defines middle class as. The math is all over this thread.
She has tried, unsuccessfully, to find a job.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
Uh, Ok, if you say so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
What?
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
somebody better tell my previous employers, as well as the employers of MILLIONS of others.....they were paying us way too munch money and letting us leave early every day! I feel so lucky!
What is it that you 3 don't understand? Obviously employers are not going to pay employees full time salaries and benefits for working part time. I find it hard to believe that SIB is really working part time and making a fully time salary and benefits. Unless he/she is a teacher. Which is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Now you're just getting ridiculous. Nine to five with additional overtime is part time? Not in the sane world.
9 to 5 is 8 hours. Subtract an hour for lunch. That leaves only 7 hours working. Assuming he worked Mon-Fri, that is a 35 hour workweek. In case you don't know math, 7 x 5 = 35. Full time is typically 40 hours a week. And, at an engineering firm in NYC, if you only work 40 hours a week, you get fired for "not working enough overtime".

Old 04-10-2015, 04:13 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,879,879 times
The thing about salaried positions is that it's not always so strict or technical. My wife is a full time employee working 8-4 in NYC. Yes, that includes 1 hour for lunch. And she makes more than you so nothing about it is part time. Some do 8-4:30, providing a half hour for lunch. 9-5 is perfectly and acceptably full time.

Quote:
And, at an engineering firm in NYC, if you only work 40 hours a week, you get fired for "not working enough overtime".
You need to stop with broad statements like this. It is simply not true in every case. Or don't, if your only goal is to convince yourself you're already living the optimal life. It sure isn't working on anyone else if you haven't noticed.

It's one thing to settle and be ok with what you're comfortable with. It's another to make such wild exaggerations like you have in order to justify it to us.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-10-2015 at 04:23 PM..

Old 04-10-2015, 04:16 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,083,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
She has tried, unsuccessfully, to find a job.
Her working should be a mute point, you said " It is important that both spouses agree on that lifestyle. My wife and I very much agree that we value having me home in time for dinner most nights, and we both very much value proximity to extended family, even if it means having less material goods." .

So she doesn't work, you have less material goods and you have justification to bemoan you economics as you choose to stay employed on the island as the sole bread winner.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
What is it that you 3 don't understand? Obviously employers are not going to pay employees full time salaries and benefits for working part time. I find it hard to believe that SIB is really working part time and making a fully time salary and benefits. Unless he/she is a teacher. Which is possible.

9 to 5 is 8 hours. Subtract an hour for lunch. That leaves only 7 hours working. Assuming he worked Mon-Fri, that is a 35 hour workweek. In case you don't know math, 7 x 5 = 35. Full time is typically 40 hours a week. And, at an engineering firm in NYC, if you only work 40 hours a week, you get fired for "not working enough overtime".
You must have the worst employer on the planet. Subtract and hour for lunch??

Old 04-10-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
You must have the worst employer on the planet. Subtract and hour for lunch??
I have never heard of any employer, in any field, who pay for a lunch break. Lunch breaks are always unpaid, if they are offered at all.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Her working should be a mute point, you said " It is important that both spouses agree on that lifestyle. My wife and I very much agree that we value having me home in time for dinner most nights, and we both very much value proximity to extended family, even if it means having less material goods." .

So she doesn't work, you have less material goods and you have justification to bemoan you economics as you choose to stay employed on the island as the sole bread winner.
If you are as happy in Virginia as you say you are, why don't you start posting in the Virginia forum, and leave us who chose to stay on Long Island alone. I think that deep down, you are lonely in Virginia, and you realize that you are a failure, and you are jealous of those of us who are still able to live on Long Island. That is why you won't leave us alone.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Then you need another field.
Yes, the field of poppies on his way to the Emerald City.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:28 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,769,130 times
Quote:
I have never heard of any employer, in any field, who pay for a lunch break. Lunch breaks are always unpaid, if they are offered at all.
My current employer and my former employer both allowed reasonable lunch breaks and did not require you to work extra time. You need to get out more and stop generalizing yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island