Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Let your true colors shine thru. You are not missed on Long Island.
His post is so ironic when you consider that it's the Southern states that are kept artificially alive by Federal funding and handouts which subsidize their low taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 09:38 AM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
His post is so ironic when you consider that it's the Southern states that are kept artificially alive by Federal funding and handouts which subsidize their low taxes.
That may be true of Memphis or Little Rock or Atlanta or Jacksonville.....as it is for any major city in this country- but quite the opposite in the real rural south- like here, where the county in which I live has ONE traffic light; the new City Hall was built for less than $100K; and where our fire dept. (Which is supported by voluntary dues, as opposed to taxes) has atanker which appears to be from the 1950's. Our local budget would look more like one household's budget on Lawn Guyland...or the paycheck of one unionized civil 'servant'.

Meanwhile, WE'RE helping to pay for you commuter railroad; airport; erosion control; subsidized housing; buses; subways; ad infinitum....

Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Good grief

Are you ready to be shocked? I am a conservative Republican and I live on Long Island. Our students are not "indoctrinated", on the contrary I had many teachers who held conservative beliefs and reinforced my values.
When did you go to school, Pop's? The 1950's? What do you think would happen to a teacher today if they dared to even infer that homosexuality is a mental illness/self-destructive behavior; or if they merely stated the fact that the Pilgrims were giving thanks to GOD on the first Thanksgiving???

And I guess it doesn't bother you when your children are forced to participate in "sensitivity training"; and told that they are the reason why blacks can't seem to prosper; because of their "white privilege" [even if their mother cleans terlits for a living]?

Or I guess you'd like it if your kid was not only excoriated, but arrested, for drawing a picture of a gun; or is taught to cheerfully submit to random, warrantless locker searches; metal detectors and drug-sniffing dogs....

And there's nothing very 'conservative' about most Republicans these days....

Last edited by Mumbly Joe; 04-14-2015 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-14-2015, 01:22 PM

137 posts, read 194,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
When did you go to school, Pop's? The 1950's? What do you think would happen to a teacher today if they dared to even infer that homosexuality is a mental illness/self-destructive behavior; or if they merely stated the fact that the Pilgrims were giving thanks to GOD on the first Thanksgiving???

And I guess it doesn't bother you when your children are forced to participate in "sensitivity training"; and told that they are the reason why blacks can't seem to prosper; because of their "white privilege" [even if their mother cleans terlits for a living]?

Or I guess you'd like it if your kid was not only excoriated, but arrested, for drawing a picture of a gun; or is taught to cheerfully submit to random, warrantless locker searches; metal detectors and drug-sniffing dogs....

Mumbly is getting unhinged. The latest vortex poster. Be careful, you'll get sucked in and be dumber for reading.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:33 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:

I believe this was an episode of All in The Family. Well trolled, Mumbly. Well trolled.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:36 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It isn't so much this, but once you leave the Myrtle Beach area, the Pee Dee Region is very different from the vast majority of Long Island in many demographic categories. So, there is a culture shock aspect that may apply.
I've heard of the Pee Dees, they are a sub-tribe of the Lumbees, right? Didn't know they were right there. I thought they were in a different location in SC. Is it actually a reservation property? Where exactly are they? Are they in the Murrell's Inlet area?

So what is the story of the Pee Dee Indians over there? What are they up to that will cause culture shock?

On LI we also have an indian reservation out east where people go for cheap cigarettes, so we're not totally tucked away from native americans.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
I believe this was an episode of All in The Family. Well trolled, Mumbly. Well trolled.
Funny, how everything Archie Bunker said, came to pass. [I only side with Meat-head about the illicit wars....] Today, LI is worse than the City was in Archie's day. Hmmm...now I want to watch my All In The Fambly DVDs...but it's too late! [In more ways than one]

Old 04-15-2015, 09:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Archie Bunker - so fitting.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:27 PM

137 posts, read 194,402 times
Quote:
Funny, how everything Archie Bunker said, came to pass. [I only side with Meat-head about the illicit wars....] Today, LI is worse than the City was in Archie's day. Hmmm...now I want to watch my All In The Fambly DVDs...but it's too late! [In more ways than one]
Yeah, LI is muccchhh worse than mid 70's NYC. Mumbly, really, give it a rest. You sound completely daft.

Old 04-17-2015, 06:05 AM

56 posts, read 70,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP52462 View Post
They are all just jealous. Glad you got out of this . I was studying all the faces while stuck in LIE traffic and everyone faces showed such misery and agony. I've seen better faces on Jailed convicts. The only one with smiles were the youngsters. Probably because they have no commitments like a mortgage etc.. Everyone looked overworked, tired and miserable. Enjoy your retirement.
I left LI 2010 for good. I have to tell you there are miserable people everywhere. I now live in a place where half the folks can't find work, drugs are rampant, yet every day we are sold this bill of goods how "lovely and quaint" Northern NH is--how it is a paradise from the hubbub of evil cities like NY and Boston.

Our local populations exist on handouts and government programs, heat supplements, and thrift stores. I've never seen so many people smoke (guess they like to keep people ignorant or it is the live free or die mentality).

They are GRIM people here. Life is NOT easy unless you have $$$ you brought from some other state or have been hired by one or two of the top employers here. The rest of the people live on the edges, jocking around for a way to make a living or save a few pennies.

Is this a place or a just the way it is now, regardless of location? I don't know. We all think moving is going to solve problems but sometimes you just swap another set of problem for your old ones.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 04-17-2015 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island