Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 02:20 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If it's a service, I get this. If it's a product, then you can pretty much buy anything online these days.
I will respectfully disagree with you, in part. I buy a lot on line if I can get a better price, but there are things that I need to actually touch and see to determine if I want to purchase them and then I either go back to LI or drive to the nearest large mall which for me is 40 minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 03:26 PM

166 posts, read 313,848 times
From the tone of the responses, sounds like people believe there are two types of places in this country - Long Island and the City, or "the middle of nowhere". There are plenty of places that are close to a beach, and close to a decent size city (maybe not NYC, but still), close to shopping and good restaurants (OK, not new york pizza and bagels, but other good food), etc. etc., and are a lot cheaper to boot. You can still have the good things LI has to offer but save a ton of money elsewhere in the country.

Just sayin'

Old 04-20-2015, 07:15 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo123 View Post
From the tone of the responses, sounds like people believe there are two types of places in this country - Long Island and the City, or "the middle of nowhere". There are plenty of places that are close to a beach, and close to a decent size city (maybe not NYC, but still), close to shopping and good restaurants (OK, not new york pizza and bagels, but other good food), etc. etc., and are a lot cheaper to boot. You can still have the good things LI has to offer but save a ton of money elsewhere in the country.

Just sayin'
Where?

Old 04-20-2015, 08:42 PM

166 posts, read 313,848 times
Dade/Broward/ Palm Beach Counties, FL, Tampa/St Pete, Naples, Orlando, The Jacksonville area Savannah/Hilton Head, Charleston, and many more. They're not Long Island, and Long Island isn't them, but they still have some cool stuff there !!

Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,810 times
Quote:

Just sayin'
Thank you! While the overzealous expats try to propagate this idea of living in paradise, there's also a sizable number of posters here implying that you leave civilization as soon as you cross the bridge. Such a provincial mindset

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Where?
New Castle County, DE comes to mind. Then there's Hampton Roads. Again, not necessarily NYC-style cities, but close enough to what some people may be looking for.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:36 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
The only thing I miss?

Taking long walks at night through the suburban streets with my dog. And if i were still there, I wouldn't be doing that anymore, anyway, as there is now too much crime; too many abusive cops; too much noise. It's not the nice quite suburb that it once was.

So instead, I took up cycling, and I can now ride my bike for miles and miles with nary a car; beautiful scenery; wildlife; and peace and quiet, on nice country roads past cows and horses and polite children who say hello (Instead of little spoiled brats who look like they want to murder you, and who givce you the finger!)

And oh, yeah....maybe Little Vincent's pizza!

That's it!

Gladly traded the walks and pizza for freedom; super-low cost of living/low taxes; peace & quiet; open spaces; nice down-to-earth people. I've never set foot in NY since leaving 14 years ago, and probably never will again.

Like Barry Goldwater said: "sometimes I think this country would be better off if we could just saw off the Eastern Seaboard and let it float out to sea". (THAT Barry I would have voted for!)

Old 04-21-2015, 06:37 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,632 times
Quote:
Dade/Broward/ Palm Beach Counties, FL, Tampa/St Pete, Naples, Orlando, The Jacksonville area Savannah/Hilton Head, Charleston, and many more. They're not Long Island, and Long Island isn't them, but they still have some cool stuff there !!
Florida is no secret. It takes a certain individual to withstand that climate year round. Especially if you work outdoors.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:38 AM

355 posts, read 390,805 times
When I first relocated I couldn't believe it. A child in a carriage reached her arm out and held the door open for me. What a wonderful place to live.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:46 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Florida is no secret. It takes a certain individual to withstand that climate year round. Especially if you work outdoors.
Which is why I can't understand why western states go unmentioned for the most part. For example, Flagstaff, AZ has a temperate climate and is far cheaper than here. It's not near the water, but then again it's not in a hurricane belt.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:21 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
Yes, move to Flagstaff, where the median household income is $48k, less than half of the $98k here. But hey, as long as you're taking NY money over there, it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island