Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2008, 07:37 AM

78 posts, read 203,135 times

Advertisements

As our family grows, my wife and I are considering a move farther east on the island and feel that the HHH zoned are my fit our needs. I work in NYC so I'm curious what train station people typically use? Looks like the drive to Hickville isn't too bad and you'll kill two birds with one stone by heading west. But is traffic horrible during rush hour around there?

Also, does anyone have a rough estimate of the breakdown of religion? I grew up in the Three Village district and felt there was a reasonable mix of everything, was hoping more of the same.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 11:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default Half Hollow Hills Central School District

Half Hollow Hills Central School District is partly in the south part of the Town of Huntington and partly in the north part of the Town of Babylon in the extreme west part of Suffolk County, along the Suffolk/Nassau county line and the Huntington/Oyster Bay and Babylon/Oyster Bay town lines, and serves all or parts of the Hamlet of Dix Hills and the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington and the Hamlet of Deer Park, the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights, the Hamlet of Wyandanch and the Hamlet of East Farmingdale in the Town of Babylon.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:24 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
Yes, traffic is quite bad in the Dix Hills area - it's just as bad out here in Stony Brook, so you may as well stay west of Three Village.

Half Hollow Hills schools are reputed to be quite good - however I don't think they have a self-contained gifted program - it's merely pullout for a few hours a week. So that's not so good if you have very bright kids.

But overall it's a nice area, conveniently located (right off the Northern State), good shopping, etc.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:56 PM

99 posts, read 729,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
As our family grows, my wife and I are considering a move farther east on the island and feel that the HHH zoned are my fit our needs. I work in NYC so I'm curious what train station people typically use? Looks like the drive to Hickville isn't too bad and you'll kill two birds with one stone by heading west. But is traffic horrible during rush hour around there?

Also, does anyone have a rough estimate of the breakdown of religion? I grew up in the Three Village district and felt there was a reasonable mix of everything, was hoping more of the same.

Thanks.
Nice area, HHH covers 4-5 towns so trainstations may vary-no need to drive to hicksville , make it faster if you took the train from Deer Park or Wyandanch...traffic on LIE heading west gets backed up around 49-50 but you can avoid that by hoping the train at deer park.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:05 AM

903 posts, read 3,579,178 times
The area is a mix of different religions and races. Its got some of everyone. The schools have a good reputation. As in all towns you will find people who are friendly and those who are not. There are 7 elementary schools which funnel into 2 middle schools, then into 2 high schools. The kids in the same elementary stay together until high school. There are is a large percentage of melville in the school-very nice areas of melville. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:23 PM

22,181 posts, read 19,453,569 times
HHH is a real nice area, very good schools and the area is pretty diverse. As far as train stations, as has been posted no need to go to Hicksville. Depending on where in the district you live you could go to Deer park, Wyandanch or even Huntington if your in or near the Melville portion.

Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 AM

210 posts, read 671,383 times
I live in Melville. When we lived in Syosset and my wife commuted to NYC she usually went to the Hicksville LIRR station. Be aware that aside from a few small private lots, parking is by permit only, and you must be a resident of the Town of Oyster Bay in order to get a sticker. HHH is in the Town of Huntington.

We've had a Huntington sticker in the past and use that station along with Syosset and Hicksville depending on our needs.

The area is great and we love the schools, AND we may be selling our house in the near future. Please send me a Private Message and I'll be happy to give you more info on the area, and tell you about our house as well.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:01 AM

17 posts, read 24,849 times
I live in Dix Hills and commute into NYC each day. I have tried many different ways, but Hicksville is by far the fastest - since Dix Hills is so close to the expressways you pick up a lot of time heading due west instead of driving north or south on local roads to get to the other stations. It depends on what time you leave - the earlier, the better. Without a Town sticker for Hicksville, you will have to pay to park in a private lot. The drawback is it costs $9 a day, the benefit is you park right at the foot of the train, whereas the parking garages for those who do have a permit are a farther walk. It takes me 20 minutes from my driveway to the Hicksville station, and then 40 minutes on the train. So basically an hour to either Penn, Flatbush Ave or Hunterspoint Avenue from my house. They are also many, many trains from Hicksville. The other train stations are Wyandanch, Huntington, or Deer Park, depending where you live in the district. Farther east would be Deer Park, farther west and south woukd be Wyandanch, and farther north would be Huntington. My experience is that going to either of those three stations will cost you an extra 10-15 minutes vs. Hicksville. The cost of parking is partly offset because you only need a Zone 7 ticket vs. Zone 9 for the other stations. One other alternative I have tried is Mineola. You can park there in a covered garage for $5 a day, the train ride is about 35 mins. and you are down to a Zone 4 ticket. Feel free to PM me as I have tried all of these routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island