Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 04:23 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times

Advertisements

Hi,
So the service guy said I might need to replace a leaking Peerless oil burner coil. (Rusty water was leaking under the boiler so I had called them in.) It sucks big time, but hey.... atleast it not 7 degrees outside.

Can anyone recommend a dependable and reasonable ($$) company / guy that can get the job done ?

Any ballpark estimates for the job ? I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2015, 04:30 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,624 times
Give Hot Water Plus a try. Been using them on & off for years never had a problem. 516-678-0775. They always did a great job in fact a friend was told same as you by another company & I told them to call Hot Water Plus & all they did was clean it & everything has been fine since.

Good Luck

Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Give Hot Water Plus a try. Been using them on & off for years never had a problem. 516-678-0775. They always did a great job in fact a friend was told same as you by another company & I told them to call Hot Water Plus & all they did was clean it & everything has been fine since.

Good Luck
Thank you for the quick response.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:14 PM

783 posts, read 1,422,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi,
So the service guy said I might need to replace a leaking Peerless oil burner coil. (Rusty water was leaking under the boiler so I had called them in.) It sucks big time, but hey.... atleast it not 7 degrees outside.

Can anyone recommend a dependable and reasonable ($$) company / guy that can get the job done ?

Any ballpark estimates for the job ? I am at a loss.

Thanks in advance.
Sent you a PM of my guy. Did the service guy give you a quote? I paid $750 for a coil replacement 2 years ago.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:19 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,624 times
Quote:
Thank you for the quick response.
You are most welcome. We have them coming on Friday to clean the coils. Maybe flush the water heater too if it needs to be done. Hate the rusty water & the hot water isn't lasting that long either.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM

I got more info today.
They said I have 3 options...
Replace gasket and valves etc - $500
Above + replace coil - $700
Above + mixing valve install - $850. The mixing valve they said is for uniform temperature of hot water supply or something like that.

All labor included.

At the least they were recommending I do the coil replacement for $700. Do you guys think its reasonable ?

FYI - right now the boiler is running and the above has been classified as under preventive maintenance and is not covered under the "premium" contract that I had signed up for oil delivery.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM

137 posts, read 194,222 times
A little confused. Hot Water Plus does ultrasonic cleaning of hot water lines (including the coil). I do not think they do boiler repair (which would be required to remove/replace) the coil. I have been advised numerous times (similar set up to yours) that once that coil leaks, it may be tough to replace. When they remove the old one, the housing may be cracked or worn and no new gasket will seal it. If they can seal the leak, I'd say the $700 is worth it.

Another, but more expensive option (maybe) is to remove the coil completely, seal it and add an external hot water tank that works off the existing boiler. I'm in a Levitt and space prohibited it but for efficiency and abundant hot water that would have been the way to go. A 40 gal indirect for example. That project is approx. $1500-$2000 but never have leaky coil again, much more (and hotter) hot water and saves money as heated water is stored in well insulated tank so you can draw hot water without the boiler firing unlike with the coil which fires the burner each time hot h2o is needed. Wastes a lot of oil, especially in the warm weather months.

OK, too much info! Good luck.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICDForumbites View Post
A little confused. Hot Water Plus does ultrasonic cleaning of hot water lines (including the coil). I do not think they do boiler repair (which would be required to remove/replace) the coil. I have been advised numerous times (similar set up to yours) that once that coil leaks, it may be tough to replace. When they remove the old one, the housing may be cracked or worn and no new gasket will seal it. If they can seal the leak, I'd say the $700 is worth it.

Another, but more expensive option (maybe) is to remove the coil completely, seal it and add an external hot water tank that works off the existing boiler. I'm in a Levitt and space prohibited it but for efficiency and abundant hot water that would have been the way to go. A 40 gal indirect for example. That project is approx. $1500-$2000 but never have leaky coil again, much more (and hotter) hot water and saves money as heated water is stored in well insulated tank so you can draw hot water without the boiler firing unlike with the coil which fires the burner each time hot h2o is needed. Wastes a lot of oil, especially in the warm weather months.

OK, too much info! Good luck.
Hi, thanks for your response.
By "they" I meant my current oil delivery company. I have not called the Hot water plus guys yet.

Water was leaking outside the boiler, so they said (after diagnostics) that the coil would need to be replaced with the gasket too. the water leak is fixed for now but they have classified the further repair as preventive maintenance. Are you suggesting that replacing the coil + gasket is a risky venture and might cost me more than $700 because of other possible complications ? It will be good to know.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:03 PM

137 posts, read 194,222 times
Quote:
Hi, thanks for your response.
By "they" I meant my current oil delivery company. I have not called the Hot water plus guys yet.

Water was leaking outside the boiler, so they said (after diagnostics) that the coil would need to be replaced with the gasket too. the water leak is fixed for now but they have classified the further repair as preventive maintenance. Are you suggesting that replacing the coil + gasket is a risky venture and might cost me more than $700 because of other possible complications ? It will be good to know.

Yes but that is anecdotal from what I've been told. Some of my leaks are sealed by corrosion (hah, I wish I was kidding). If I clean the corrosion the pipe will fail and leak. Supposedly this happens with the coil housing as well. The bolts, etc may come off (or be sawed or drilled off) but may not leave a pretty or functional place to re-install. Bolts could be stripped and corroded, coil itself damaged, etc.

The real detriment I've heard the most is "why replace an outdated, ineffective method" with the same thing. Even new the coil probably allowed for up to 3gpm hot water. After years of buildup it might push 2gpm. Most new shower heads, etc use at least 2.5gpm alone. So forget 2 people showering at once and that explains the drop off in hot h2o. Unfortunately in a Levitt, modern efficiency doesn't come easy or cheap. Would have had to knock down a wall for an ext h2o tank. I honestly wish I did it.

That is why Hot Water Plus is so highly reviewed. They clean that coil quick and easy for $100 bucks and can maybe get it back to 3gpm so when you take a shower after they leave, the improvement in hot water feels obvious. For a little while, anyway.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:16 AM

570 posts, read 1,214,816 times
We have a contract with Meenan. They came for the annual tune-up and the guy recommended that we get the coil gasket replaced, $625 plus tax, any broken bolts extra charge. We were told that most companies don't cover this repair anymore as it is pretty expensive! So we haven't decided what to do. One guy who came awhile ago to adjust the hot water temp said we might want to have a hot water heater installed since we've got five adults in the house right now. Hey, I'm hoping three of them will be moving out someday, one day...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island