Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:31 AM

26 posts, read 37,587 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am looking into moving to North Bellmore or New Hyde Park. I have a daughter who will enter Kindergarten and the little one who will enter Pre-K in a couple of years and has down syndrome. So basically I am looking for very good schools that also have good programs for special needs students. How do I find what school district my house belongs to. I have been looking and the only school district I find in North Bellmore is called Union Free School District. If I go to greatschools.org, the reviews on these schools are very old. Where can I find more recent reviews? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:24 AM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
There are some area in NHP zoned for Herricks school district. I heard that Herricks has a pretty good special ed. (My daughter who is 3.5 has downs too). I got a friend whose daughter is autistic, Herricks has been giving her good support. If there is no program for her, they send her out to other SD. The best way is to contact school SEPTA and ask for info.

I normally use Redfin.com to find houses. They will tell you which school district it's in and the rating as well from greatschools.org. Or you can search the houses based on your school's name which is very helpful.

Old 05-15-2015, 01:34 PM

What is school SEPTA?

Old 05-15-2015, 01:53 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaritoSusu2925 View Post
What is school SEPTA?
Special Ed PTA.

Bellmore/Merrick Schools are supposed to be very good for special ed needs. Do you have an IEP for your child? May I ask why you have narrowed it down to those two towns only?

Old 05-15-2015, 02:39 PM

My daughter is currently in Early Intervention getting services at home. She is 2 yrs old. I like New Hyde Park because is closer to NYC but the houses are more expensive. And looking at North Bellmore, there are very nice houses at more affordable prices. But of course if there is another towns with much better schools specially with better special Ed, I wouldn't mind to change my choices, but it still has to be close to NYC since I will be driving to work.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
My daughter is currently in Early Intervention getting services at home. She is 2 yrs old. I like New Hyde Park because is closer to NYC but the houses are more expensive. And looking at North Bellmore, there are very nice houses at more affordable prices. But of course if there is another towns with much better schools specially with better special Ed, I wouldn't mind to change my choices, but it still has to be close to NYC since I will be driving to work.
Are you sure you want to drive? Bellmore and NHP have great train lines.

You should contact each school district's SEPTA Presidents, if you can. They'll let you know what services are offered and whether or not they send children out of district for services. Levittown SD is supposed to be very good for special ed as well. A lot less $ than NHP. Btw, NHP is zoned for more than one SD.

Old 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM

Hi, I can't find the phone# to contact SEPTA Presidents. Can anybody please help?

Old 05-17-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Hi, I can't find the phone# to contact SEPTA Presidents. Can anybody please help?
Call each district office and ask the secretary.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:31 AM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
I got hooked up with one mom from SEPTA whose son has down syndrome as well and she gave me so much info. If you get a chance to speak to SEPTA, see if they can pass your info to other parents and you can ask some questions. Also, see how many down syndrome kids they have in their district. A lot of program designed for Autism but not Down syndrome.

Old 05-18-2015, 01:30 PM

I called the school district special ed department. And they said that all schools in North Bellmore have different programs, but they can not tell me for sure to what school my child would be going to. That would depend on her specific needs at the time she is ready for PK. She could be going to any school inside the district or outside the district as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island